Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Serious Business is not profitable business - unfunded lulz  (Read 8040 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Serious Business is not profitable business - unfunded lulz
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2010, 12:14:28 am »

Then they are still replaced. Your brain is still differnt then from the time you were born.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2010, 12:18:47 am »

The problem with the whole uploading your brain onto a computer is, even if they figure out how to transfer data from neurons to a hard drive, why would that brain on the hard drive be you?  It would just be a copy.

In other words, no, Armok.  You will never be an eternal computermind.  There may be a computermind Armok, but it won't be you, just someone who thinks just like you (And in a world where things are right and fair, there would never be two Armoks.)

Honestly, you're delving into extremely complicated territory regarding things like identity and consciousness.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2010, 12:20:37 am »

The problem with the whole uploading your brain onto a computer is, even if they figure out how to transfer data from neurons to a hard drive, why would that brain on the hard drive be you?  It would just be a copy.

In other words, no, Armok.  You will never be an eternal computermind.  There may be a computermind Armok, but it won't be you, just someone who thinks just like you (And in a world where things are right and fair, there would never be two Armoks.)

Honestly, you're delving into extremely complicated territory regarding things like identity and consciousness.

Pass me the bong, man, I'm totally ready for this.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2010, 12:20:55 am »

I know the answer to it all, but it would be too complicated to discuss here, you'll just have to take my word for it.

Oh wait, no, I'm not- no.  I'm Cthulhu, sorry, got confused.

Yeah, I know, oh well, I don't believe we'll be able to download braenz on a hard drive anyway.
Shoes...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2010, 12:22:13 am »

At least not in our lifetimes.

And if you think about it, only the thing that happen in our lifetimes really matter.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2010, 12:25:19 am »

And if you think about it, only the thing that happen in our lifetimes really matter.

Except for certain things.
Usually environmental concerns.
You should be able to come up with your own example.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2010, 12:26:46 am »

If you're completely selfish and don't give a damn what happens to anybody or anything after you die, sure, but that's just as sociopathic as doing it within your own lifetime.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2010, 12:32:59 am »

If you're completely selfish and don't give a damn what happens to anybody or anything after you die, sure, but that's just as sociopathic as doing it within your own lifetime.
Look, I've said it before and it made people E-look at me weird, but the only reason people do nice things for each other is because they like how it makes them feel. I'm not saying that this is wrong, i'm just saying that every single thing that human do is selfish (Again, not saying its wrong).

I've forgotten what i was trying to say. Good day, kind sir.

(Or rather, i wrote that as an example for something else, and i forgot the something else.)

Oops.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:37:07 am by Realmfighter »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2010, 12:38:07 am »

It makes people look at you weird because it's an old and tired argument meant to justify egotistical behavior.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2010, 12:41:03 am »

I'm not trying to justify being egotistic, i like helping people. I'm just saying, i would help people if it didn't give me a nice and fuzzy feeling is all.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2010, 01:37:51 am »

You know what I love?  You all took a rag-fest on 4chan's bullshit repository and turned it into an argument about the residence of consciousness and replacement of brain cells.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2010, 01:48:52 am »

I was trying to keep it alive until i forgot what i was posting.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2010, 01:52:50 am »

You know what I love?  You all took a rag-fest on 4chan's bullshit repository and turned it into an argument about the residence of consciousness and replacement of brain cells.

I love this forum too.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2010, 01:54:04 am »

I love this forum too.

Not only do i love this forum, i love everyone* in it!

*Not you, reader.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2010, 11:15:41 am »

Sure is getting Ayn Rand in here.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8