Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Serious Business is not profitable business - unfunded lulz  (Read 8020 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Serious Business is not profitable business - unfunded lulz
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2010, 02:25:05 am »

If you mean me then my point was that, although Cow of Doom might claim that humor is subjective and thus things on ED might just be funny to him, the fact of the matter is that the website is a fountain of horribly juvenile humor, racism, bigotry and general idiocy including, of course, a man raping a baby to death. That Cow wants to claim that
You guys just dont know how to have fun.
is a) utterly idiotic and b) extremely offensive when you think about what's on there. Also, it says to me that Cow has the humor of a ten year old.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2010, 02:30:59 am »

I just had to laugh when I read someone here saying that ED represents "one of the earliest eras of the internet".

It was launched in 2004. Seriously. We aren't talking about early-90's BBSes here or something, we're talking a site that was set up a few years ago.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2010, 02:37:13 am »

or ARPANET which is before the modern epoch of 1970
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2010, 06:57:52 am »

It is STILL one of the earliest eras of the internet, and will remain so for many decades.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2010, 07:10:56 am »

It is STILL one of the earliest eras of the internet, and will remain so for many decades.

And yet nobody will care.  People love to feel like they're participating in something significant, but these efforts will be remembered only by archive machines that get dusted off every decade or two for statistical studies.  It's amusing to see people reminded that nothing they produced will have any lasting value, even to themselves. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 07:14:14 am by Footkerchief »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2010, 07:12:32 am »

You take pleasure at the visible erosion of the hope and pride that clothes the human soul.

I admire that.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2010, 07:56:24 am »

Optimism is for suckers.  What few joys there are as satisfying as tearing down another's dreams and memories.  And yet you guys think Encyclopedia Dramatica is lame.  Fascinating.

Armok, you have a very strange definition of "earliest".
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2010, 08:00:03 am »

And yet nobody will care.  People love to feel like they're participating in something significant, but these efforts will be remembered only by archive machines that get dusted off every decade or two for statistical studies.  It's amusing to see people reminded that nothing they produced will have any lasting value, even to themselves. 

I find it ironic that you say this Footkerchief, considering that you're one of the most (if not THE most) active and helpful members of the DF community. You work very hard for no pay, so that makes me wonder if this burst of insight of yours is something springing from this work, that in a way, you can relate to ED's destruction in an intimate fashion. Considering that cynicism is inherent to humanity, I can only guess, but I have to wonder if you feel underappreciated Footkerchief, that you feel that all your helpfulness will be forgotten except by the very machines you speak of. Am I right at all Footie?

I've never been to ED, but it sounds like a place nobody likes.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2010, 08:22:02 am »

ED is a type of humor site that makes me feel bad for browsing it. Both in a sense of wasted time and the contents. Nonetheless I keep coming back. Such is the addicting power of lulz in text form.

I mostly enjoyed reading the articles on trolling, ethnic and religious groups and countries. Reading an article about a group you identify with is a test of ones ability to be internet resistant(or untrollable).

If it goes down I won't care. I won't get my lost time back nor will I likely fill the same time with something constructive in the future.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2010, 08:23:29 am »

I find it ironic that you say this Footkerchief, considering that you're one of the most (if not THE most) active and helpful members of the DF community. You work very hard for no pay, so that makes me wonder if this burst of insight of yours is something springing from this work, that in a way, you can relate to ED's destruction in an intimate fashion. Considering that cynicism is inherent to humanity, I can only guess, but I have to wonder if you feel underappreciated Footkerchief, that you feel that all your helpfulness will be forgotten except by the very machines you speak of. Am I right at all Footie?

I do occasionally have delusions that I'm doing (or participating in) something lasting/significant, but I try to minimize that and focus on my actual goal of helping Toady improve the game, so maybe being here has clarified my perspective in that sense.  I definitely don't feel underappreciated.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2010, 03:02:07 pm »

You realize that "earliest" and "most recent" don't mean the same thing, right?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2010, 03:15:46 pm »

I think he's talking on a bigger scale.  If the internet is still around in 100 years, they'll probably consider this to be one of the earliest eras of the internet.

That doesn't make Erectile Dysfunction worth keeping, though.
Shoes...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2010, 03:18:12 pm »

If the Internet was around for 100 years, Bay12 would be from the beginning era of the internet.

Everything would from now.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2010, 03:19:40 pm »

I normally hate the kind of attitude portrayed by ED, but for some reason, I like the site. It's actually a surprisingly good (if extremely biased and messed up) source of information on the goings-on of the Internet itself. Of course, the absurd lack of quality control doesn't help matters.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2010, 03:41:03 pm »

100 years? I were thinking more about THOUSANDS of (subjective) years.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8