Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water to clay ground  (Read 505 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Water to clay ground
« on: February 03, 2010, 03:12:19 pm »

I'm building a basement in the water in my fortress, which build when the lake freezes. When I removed the "water" floor to build a downward stairway even deeper into the lake, I noticed that the dug-in stairway.... was made of "CLAY"! How the hell did that happen?! I'm in the middle of the damn lake!
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Water to clay ground
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 03:37:24 pm »

Did you have tower-caps growing in the water?  If so, it might be this bug:

# 000993 □ [vegetation] (Report) tower caps can create soils like red sand underground when they grow up in the mud and are removed

Otherwise, it's just general ice/obsidian wonkiness, probably related to this stuff:

# 000885 □ [dwarf mode][jobs][constructions]    (Report) placing a construction over an obsidian floor made on a lake and then removing it left a loam behind
# 001041 □ [dwarf mode][jobs][designations]    (Report) stairwell in rock on frozen map turned into sand

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 03:58:56 pm »

oh! I got this with sandstone on a glacier map, and thought it was a feature, not a bug. (build something out of sandstone, it leaves sand behind)

learned something new.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 04:14:50 pm »

I don't have tower caps on this map. And nothing was on the floor except for the water block that I used to make the floor. Below that was the lake itself, which is nothing but water for several Z-levels.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31