Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What to do with Legendary Armorsmith and Weaponsmith  (Read 2430 times)

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do with Legendary Armorsmith and Weaponsmith
« on: February 03, 2010, 08:18:10 am »

Hello all. I've been playing DF since the Penny Arcade link was posted, and I just joined the forums. So I thought I'd pose a question and see what kind of answers I'd get.

I trained up an Armorsmith and Weaponsmith to legendary (+2, I believe) and made a bunch of masterful and exceptional steel armor and weapons for my military.

Now, they don't really have a whole lot to do, and it bugs me to see their hard earned (so many copper leggings and giant axe blades) go to waste. Any suggestions on how to put them to use?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with Legendary Armorsmith and Weaponsmith
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 08:21:27 am »

Make few steel things and then buy whole caravans with them?

Also, start producing weapons/armors for your military, even if you don't have it (yet).
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 08:26:06 am »

Keep them busy, as Haspen suggested, with arms and armor for your future military. I highly recommend swords, shields, and plate mail, along with gauntlets and helms and boots. You can never have too big a military, so keeping them busy that way is the best way to go.

And if necessary, you can always use those giant axe blades in traps and such, and sell the copper leggings.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 08:58:39 am »

Melt all the copper and bronze armor. Equip your huge army in Masterwork Steel.

... I was working on that in my last fort, but got bored because I had not a single goblin invasion in eight years :)

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 09:15:28 am »

If you're bored, or looking for more sources of iron, try modding goblins to have [liTTERSIZE: 10: 40] in the raws. The huge birth rates mean that they will come in large numbers, and often.

Start cranking out masterwork steel everything if you have the legendary dwarves to do it.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:18:22 am »

Does your army wear chain underneath their plate? If so, there's something. You could also gear out your hunters with quality armors.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 09:28:36 am »

Make some masterwork pickaxes for your miners, make some masterwork spears for a militia army.

And if that is all done, make more soldiers!
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 09:31:17 am »

Good suggestions... I do need to increase my army size, I only have 10 currently (more than adequate to handle any goblin sieges, but since when do Dwarfs stop at 'adequate?).

I also need to find some more iron ore. The map I'm on only has one vein (that I've found). Exploratory mines will be dug, and a massive army will be built.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 10:27:02 am »

Whatever weapon you don't use, make a ton of silver ones for export if you have the metal.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 11:12:35 am »

You can also start training them up in metalcrafting. Then you can stud your masterwork steel plate with gold and black bronze bands to make it extremely valuable and send your fortress wealth skyrocketing.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 11:21:23 am »

Metalcrafting is an interesting idea... but how would I get them to stud specific items? I just see the 'stud with gold' option, and I'm not exactly sure how to choose what I'd like them to work on.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 11:33:41 am »

Metalcrafting is an interesting idea... but how would I get them to stud specific items? I just see the 'stud with gold' option, and I'm not exactly sure how to choose what I'd like them to work on.

Well, just designate the stockpile that only accept that specific items as close as possible to the workshop and... just hope they will grab them for work.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 02:32:21 pm »

I forbid the item I want studded as soon as it's made, then wait for everything else to be moved out of the forge, then make teh studding task and unforbid the item.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 09:38:13 pm »

Melt all the copper and bronze armor. Equip your huge army in Masterwork Steel.

... I was working on that in my last fort, but got bored because I had not a single goblin invasion in eight years :)

I agree with this. Melt all the non masterwork steel down too, until you have enough masterwork plate and chain for your army. Then decorate them.

I'm doing this in my fort named Battlecity. I capped the population at 30 or so and am relying on children to get to sieges. By then the fortress wealth should trigger the biggest invasion ever and will be met with my fortress military in their amazingly over decorated equipment. That is, if I can ever get my framerate up from the damned underground waterfall.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 12:37:18 am »

Make a large stockpile of armor(I don't think you can decorate weapons, sadly) along with some charcoal/metal, and build a forge in that room. Lock a smith in there and tell him to crank the stuff out. He will decorate all the armor with the metal, but the types of decorations are random... so you might get something studded with steel and banded with black bronze, and another one with black bronze rings and an image of an elf in steel.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.
Pages: [1] 2