Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: DnD 3.5: Take to the Skies! (too many recruits!)  (Read 8651 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: DnD 3.5: Take to the Skies! (too many recruits!)
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2010, 08:05:50 pm »

And therein lies the problem. If you want low-magic, you're going to remove 90% of the game anyway.

So that's the choice: do you want the full 3E experience, or try to houserule magic out of it and lose 90%, or simply cut it off at 6th and lose 90%. I didn't say it was the best choice. I just gave it as a suggestion.

Nah, like i said, modifications can be made to remove most PC magic from the system, it does take a little effort, but it's entirely doable.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2010, 08:06:59 pm »

I agree :P
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2010, 10:03:33 pm »

Spoiler: character idea (click to show/hide)
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2010, 11:10:52 pm »

Seeing as he have an excess of alchemists, I have made a shepard:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=183719

If I get picked, I will play Olaf, rather than Martin.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2010, 02:48:44 am »

How would you feel if I was to ask to be a kobold or xeph?
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: DnD 3.5: Take to the Skies! (now recruiting)
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2010, 04:33:04 am »

LeoLeonardoIII: Why are we walking like this?
I think it's first come, first served, so if you get a sheet up fast enough, you'll get in.

And, yeah. Psionics? They're not really casters, especially not Psychic Warriors. And they're more like a sorcerer than a wizard.

*Cackles and flees.

I am of course, joking. I would never use Psionics, they're almost as bad as taint.

I'll get on to char creation in a bit.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I wasn't expressing frustration at the fact that you guys were all playing nerds,
Int is not a dump stat. Unless you're a paladin.

Also, the sea being full of monsters sounds more like it's a place for monster-hunters (of high level- it is unlikely that one get rid of a kraken immediately).

Have you looked at Stormwrack?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2010, 04:51:03 am »

I have the basics of my character stats spelled out. It should be enough to declare it too powergamey or not enough...(spirit shamans get the druid spell list) The stats do add up if you take the age into account. would anyone care if I had forgotten my name? At least the others are multiple choice...
Read the First Post!

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2010, 08:25:37 am »

If you want to make a low magic world then this might interest you. The exact opposite. The world of Forgotten realms in times of giant empire of Netheril (which is my favourite btw.)

Back then everyone knew magic. Literaly. For example a barmaid might know a spell to keep her from falling over. Or to serve faster. Archmages ruled the land. They went as far as to challenge the gods themselves, with an unfortunate accident of casting "Karus'es avatar". This powerfull spell STOLE THE POWER OF A GOD AND GAVE IT TO THE CASTER!. Things went wild from there when Karsus stole the power from Mystra, the godess of magic. She sacrificed herself to prevent a catastrophe of larger proportions than destroying the magic of the whole world (so... yeah). Of course the big bad wizard got his karmic death. Magic went WILD. Every spell was dangerous. Common people lost their ability to cast spells. The spells effects were totally random.

Things that might especially interest you, and be usefull:
The permanency spell. Magic items didn't work back then like they do now. Casting such a spell to prevent the enchancment from dissapearing took a point of constitution from a mage. This can have fatal consequences on a life span. Sort of like smoking I guess. Just do one or two and you lose about 5 years of your life. That's why true magic items were so rare back then.

Semi-magic item. Are magic items that have no power without a magical power source nearby. In short the're useless normal items, but go into a magic field and they kick yo ass! They were so popular because, there were flying cities that used such power sources, so inside a city every such item worked. True magical items were only needed "out in the field", as wilderness was dangerous. They didn't need a mage to sacrifice his life force to make them... so, yeah.

After "Karsus'es Avatar" killing mystra, her reincarnation changed the rules of magic completely. Normal people lost their power, and no mage was ever allowed to cast a spell bigger than 10th level (Karsu'es avatar was the only 13th level spell ever made). Gods are paranoid about powerfull spellcasters. And get this. Every spell has to be learned from a scroll when you're talking about a wizard. Your world is purely islands? This pretty much prevents wizards from ever having more than 10 spells at a time. So don't worry about them. You have an environmetal explanation why there aren't many of them. Also they need huge libraries to make new spells. Whithout ability to collect such books in such a dangerous world there won't be many new spells ever made. Sorcerers and Clerics far more powerfull than self-learned wizards. Sorcerers require celstial, demonic, draconic or otherwise magical blood to even exist, and clerics need to be granted power by their god. Let's say that no magical race really likes human, so not many sorcerers born. Let's say not even the gods like humans. Not many clerics over there.

If you combine such characteristics into your world you get:
a) a good reason why magical items are so rare.
b)a good explanation why there aren't many casters.
c) You don't take any parts of the game away since powerfull magic still  exists, it's just so rare. Even the very common magic.

DARN IT! I wish I made it into the game. I had such a cool half-orc-one-quarter-human-one-quarter-dwarf-alcoholic-barbarian. *Sob*  :'(. Goodbye Gurk, I'll never play you again.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 08:39:28 am by Rooster »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2010, 01:10:13 pm »

He already has a good reason for casters and magic items to be rare. It's his setting. If you like Forgotten Realms, you should probably host that instead.

I'm not sure about the temporary hit points rule on Casters. Wouldn't that make clerics only effective in the very start of the game? If I tried to heal anybody in the middle of a battle, they would quickly drop dead once time ran out. In fact, it only seems useful for milking a bit more fight out before the fighters die. I could always go Combat Cleric, I suppose. I have a couple RL friends who've done this. I don't think I will if they're too combat spell-y, though, to preserve your setting.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 01:12:39 pm by Grakelin »
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2010, 06:34:14 pm »

People aren't going to die as soon as combat ends, temporary hit points are removed before natural hit points.  And even if you drop down to negative, you are automatically stabalized by any healing spell, including temp ones.

Okay, back.  So expect me to start an IC topic in the next couple of days.  The game is going to start out just posting in that topic although I'm hoping to have a hybrid game going on that would be a mixture of pbp and IM gameplay so that this doesn't take forever but there will still be a place to include more detailed stuff.  So those of you who haven't done character sheets yet should get something rough up, even if you don't have exactly every signal whistle in your pack tallied up yet.

Don't expect much tomorrow, not only is it the superbowl, but I've got a double tech-rehearsal, yay!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 08:17:44 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2010, 08:21:39 pm »

It would mean that you would need to cast the spell before someone gets hurt rather than afterward. It stops you from reacting to surprises like natural 20s or the half-orc in a chain shirt with a greatsword suddenly casting Searing Light on the archer. But it does let you cast a cure spell on your own greatsword-wielding half-orc to soak up the damage it will inevitably take...
Read the First Post!

Paradox_9

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2010, 10:24:45 pm »

People aren't going to die as soon as combat ends, temporary hit points are removed before natural hit points.  And even if you drop down to negative, you are automatically stabalized by any healing spell, including temp ones.

Okay, back.  So expect me to start an IC topic in the next couple of days.  The game is going to start out just posting in that topic although I'm hoping to have a hybrid game going on that would be a mixture of pbp and IM gameplay so that this doesn't take forever but there will still be a place to include more detailed stuff.  So those of you who haven't done character sheets yet should get something rough up, even if you don't have exactly every signal whistle in your pack tallied up yet.

Don't expect much tomorrow, not only is it the superbowl, but I've got a double tech-rehearsal, yay!

Roger that. I've got the basics down already, like stats and such.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2010, 10:30:58 pm »

I'm ready when you are.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2010, 12:03:03 am »

I will be ready quickly enough, I had to deal with gfs family today -.- so I wasted 13 hours of my life

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2010, 08:21:12 am »

Putting together inventory now, hopefully the mythweavers page will be updated soonish, how much weight can the ship carry?
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7