Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: DnD 3.5: Take to the Skies! (too many recruits!)  (Read 8669 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: DnD 3.5: Take to the Skies! (now recruiting)
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 09:38:43 pm »

I apologize, I'm paranoid about clicking links. Hmm lets see if I can read alot of this and still get a char sheet ahead of others.

I reserve the right to be completely arbitrary in deciding who gets in, so don't post "first post".

Protip: I'm looking for cool character ideas that fit the background more then completed character sheets.  So far I've been seeing a lot of first posts and zero character ideas.

Edit: And as another note, it wouldn't hurt to give your character ranks in one of the skills: craft (carpentry), craft (sailmaking) or craft (alchemy) considering that you are one a vessel held together by wood, propelled by sails and held up with alchemy.  I'm not saying that your ship is gonna get torn up, but it sure would be nice to be able to fix it if it were.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:44:13 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 09:54:37 pm »

I apologize, I'm paranoid about clicking links. Hmm lets see if I can read alot of this and still get a char sheet ahead of others.

I reserve the right to be completely arbitrary in deciding who gets in, so don't post "first post".

Protip: I'm looking for cool character ideas that fit the background more then completed character sheets.  So far I've been seeing a lot of first posts and zero character ideas.

If that is what you are looking for then. I already have a character in mind. Since you seem to just want an idea here. If you wish it to be pmed I'll just delete most of this and pm it, however you seem inclined to it being here.

Spoiler: Marain (click to show/hide)
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 10:59:51 pm »

Hm... I can't decide if you stumbled into a classic reverse Mary-Sue or if you correctly identified the fact that this is one of the rare settings where it's not pathetically melodramatic to have your character be a loner orphan who stole to survive...  ;D  Either way, congrats, your now on the top of the short list.  It's a very short list indeed right now.

The overall character concept is appropriate, but I'd like to point out that nine years is a very long time to survive as a thief in a community of only a few hundred people.  Might I suggest that Marian could have changed his habits after the Age of Havoc and stole only occasionally?  The local patron goddess in Haverlock is elvish, so Marian could have recieved some charity from the druid who mans her woodland shrine.  That would also provide a convenient plot hook for me to work with.  On the other hand, maybe Marian just has been stealing from the villagers for a very long time, in which case I imagine they are quite eager to throw his scrawny elvish butt out of town by now.  ;D
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 11:12:57 pm »

Hm... I can't decide if you stumbled into a classic reverse Mary-Sue or if you correctly identified the fact that this is one of the rare settings where it's not pathetically melodramatic to have your character be a loner orphan who stole to survive...  ;D  Either way, congrats, your now on the top of the short list.  It's a very short list indeed right now.

The overall character concept is appropriate, but I'd like to point out that nine years is a very long time to survive as a thief in a community of only a few hundred people.  Might I suggest that Marian could have changed his habits after the Age of Havoc and stole only occasionally?  The local patron goddess in Haverlock is elvish, so Marian could have recieved some charity from the druid who mans her woodland shrine.  That would also provide a convenient plot hook for me to work with.  On the other hand, maybe Marian just has been stealing from the villagers for a very long time, in which case I imagine they are quite eager to throw his scrawny elvish butt out of town by now.  ;D

I really like the first idea. A hand-out from a priest of an elvish god would be acceptable, and when that didn't meet the ends he would still steal. As for Mary-Sue? Maybe, wrote down the character that came to mind for the situation and figured a rogue would be a good type to have when magic is crazy and you don't know what is around the next corner.

Edit: Time Zone: GMT -5 Eastern Us
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:15:46 am by mission0 »
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Sannit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 11:27:09 pm »

Elf fighter in progress:

Spoiler: Calam Fletcher (click to show/hide)

Good enough?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 12:17:34 am »

Looks like good stuff, but I'm a bit too tired to comment more extensively, atm.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 01:47:12 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sannit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 02:03:55 am »

Calam Fletcher

Think he's pretty much done.  Two things, though: first, I have tools to make arrows because that is what I do, and I'm not sure of their cost.  They were probably given to him by his father anyway, so if I were the DM, it'd be nothing, but I'm not the DM.

Second, thanks for making me do math.  I suck at it.  I hope all those drachmae and solidii and everything are correct.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 07:59:05 am »

I think it's fair for you to pick up the tools of the trade for free if you've invested 4 ranks in the skill.

Seems alright.  Does the name Von Havelock mean that he's the son of the local pre-Havoc nobility?  Also, are you planning on making this guy a sorcerer or what?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 11:06:08 am »

*Hopes you haven't chosen players yet*

Also!  I have like all (most) of the books, so if you want I can play some different classes than the base, but as of right now a rogue.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:06:01 pm by Karik »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 12:36:39 pm »

I think I need to be a little clearer about something:

If you get in a boat and sail out onto the ocean, you die.  First there's the storms, which make it dangerous to sail even close to the shore.  Then there's the mother f-ing sea monsters in your mother f-ing seas.  It's a fairly simply formula the ocean equals death.

It may be that there are a few more sheltered archipelagos somewhere that you don't know about and there some merchants still sail trading ships.  And presumably way on the other side of the world, the other continents are still there.  But for you guys, the village of Havelock is the only place you or anyone you know has seen for the past nine years.

Sorry if I'm going a little overboard, but this idea is somewhat central to the campaign after all...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 12:44:44 pm »

Ah well I was thinking a small island chain, but that is easily fixed.

Edited the char description.

Re-Edited
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:06:12 pm by Karik »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 01:35:44 pm »

Okay, Karik's idea for an artificer is very setting appropriate so he's getting a spot.  The other spot is going to mission0, mary-sue-ness aside, his character seem pretty interesting.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 02:17:34 pm »

If there is more room or a waiting list I would like to give this a shot, I've always wanted to play some DnD but had noone to play it with.
My character:
Xen

I need some help with the sheet, I am sure there are errors and I don't know how much that equipment would cost. Where do I put my character's class (alchemist and wizard)?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2010, 02:20:27 pm »

1) no wizards and we already have an artificer...
2) kinda full up
3) You didn't make that character sheet public

Maybe I should do a second party...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7