Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: DnD 3.5: Take to the Skies! (too many recruits!)  (Read 8649 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: DnD 3.5: Take to the Skies! (too many recruits!)
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2010, 09:42:49 am »

Because he is playing monk

ding! ding! ding! ding!

But hey, screw my original plans.  Fuck it, monks are in.  And wizards and effing half dragons!  I'm feeling bitter and magnanimous so get your requests in right now you little pieces of crap!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2010, 11:25:30 am »

Well, I didn't read the starting thing well enough; I saw the rare wizards and clerics, but missed the monk restriction.  You know, I'd be willing to make some concessions to make monks less magical, to fit the theme.  For the first couple of levels anyways, they're nothing special; just good at unarmed combat.  I could even switch it around, and make him a fighter, if you insist.

Also, Int is useless for a monk, but essential for a carpenter; must fit the backstory, you know.

Finally, fixed the Havelock mistake.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2010, 12:03:26 pm »

Mainiac, I think you'll be extremely hardpressed to find a D&D team that isn't full of extraordinary characters. The game is designed in such a way that PC characters basically have to be above average, unless you use some handicap style stat rolls.

If you only want a party of Barbarians, Fighters, and Rogues, this is something you should consider listing from the very beginning. These are the only three core classes that do not utilize magical abilities. Even Bards are magical, differentiated from NPC Class Commoners with ranks of perform.

I think your stress is coming from not being clear enough with your setting. If you want our backstories to fit the Havelock setting with any level of proficiency, we need more information. Don't be afraid of not accepting people, either. Waiting lists can be good for when the players you do choose unexpectedly drop out.

In my opinion, if you're going for a very low-magic setting, you should probably try a different system.

I'm actually a bit confused overall, now. You seem upset that there were so many carpenters and alchemists, yet you made clear to us in the first post that we should be taking skill ranks in that direction. Also, considering the PCs are building an airship, I really see no issue with the most scholarly and magically inclined getting on board.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2010, 12:10:06 pm »

Is my guy ok? Perhaps the second party's first goal should be to build another airship? Going around seeking knowledge and materials to make one.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Sannit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2010, 02:43:43 pm »

Personally, I'm only really concerned about the party balance.  Healing and magical damage is out (for the time being, anyway), so mainiac's gonna have to make sure that the encounters are doable for a team such as ours.  But I have confidence in the man.  Never question your DM.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2010, 03:08:12 pm »

In my opinion, if you're going for a very low-magic setting, you should probably try a different system.

The default D20 system does indeed not do low-magic well. There are adjustments that can be made to remove magic almost entirely from the game, but the adjustments do require substantial work.

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2010, 03:48:11 pm »

Well I know I am an Artificer, so I will have some magical abilities, and will be able to create potions, so we do have healing in (at least I will soon be able to create potions).  Not sure what the rest of the party is like.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2010, 04:12:34 pm »

I wasn't expressing frustration at the fact that you guys were all playing nerds, I was expressing amusement at it.  Small villages tend to have quirky characteristics, for example there's a small town near where I live where everyone sails competitively.  Your characters apparently come from a small town where everyone is a student of ancient knowledge.  Which, incidentally, makes having a monk or two fit the setting better then if you weren't from a town full of nerds.  But I don't mind, nosirree.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2010, 05:56:12 pm »

Ohh. So basically, everybody in Havelock is a big history freak. Sort of like how Icelanders have these incredibly detailed records of everybody's ancestors to the point where they can tell you whether someone is related to any person known to have ever lived in the country.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2010, 06:56:52 pm »

My guy is basically an alchemist with magic (alchemy + transmuter), I assume transmuter would fit an alchemist well.

Is my idea for second party ok?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2010, 07:33:34 pm »

He could use that L6 restricted D20 variant.

Basically it's exactly like d20, you use d20 SRD, etc. Except that the maximum character level is 6th. Characters with a monster race that has ECL or whatever are limited to a modified 6th (So a drow elf can only have 4 character levels or whatever).

After you hit 6th, you gain an extra feat every 5,000 XP. But you have to qualify, which means something requiring Base Attack Bonus +7 is forever out of your grasp.

Monsters work exactly as they did before. So your character may never be able to fight a big dragon and live.

It also means that magic items that require a caster level greater than 6th can never be made, and exist only as rare artifacts. Either from weird aliens or ancient processes long forgotten and lost, in any case your character can never make them. So Vorpal Swords don't exist.

The local baron is probably a 6th level aristocrat, unless he's on the borderlands in which case maybe he's a 6th level Fighter. But there are no 7th level people.

Anyone lower than 6th is unaffected.

This gives you a low magic world, fixes the game balance problems with high level 3E play, fixes the profusion of prestige classes, fixes Epic level play, and fixes the multiple-templated race problem.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2010, 07:36:50 pm »

Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2010, 07:45:27 pm »

He could use that L6 restricted D20 variant.

Basically it's exactly like d20, you use d20 SRD, etc. Except that the maximum character level is 6th. Characters with a monster race that has ECL or whatever are limited to a modified 6th (So a drow elf can only have 4 character levels or whatever).

After you hit 6th, you gain an extra feat every 5,000 XP. But you have to qualify, which means something requiring Base Attack Bonus +7 is forever out of your grasp.

Monsters work exactly as they did before. So your character may never be able to fight a big dragon and live.

It also means that magic items that require a caster level greater than 6th can never be made, and exist only as rare artifacts. Either from weird aliens or ancient processes long forgotten and lost, in any case your character can never make them. So Vorpal Swords don't exist.

The local baron is probably a 6th level aristocrat, unless he's on the borderlands in which case maybe he's a 6th level Fighter. But there are no 7th level people.

Anyone lower than 6th is unaffected.

This gives you a low magic world, fixes the game balance problems with high level 3E play, fixes the profusion of prestige classes, fixes Epic level play, and fixes the multiple-templated race problem.

That doesn't 'fix' anything, it just removes about 90% of the game.

Paradox_9

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2010, 08:03:02 pm »

Here's my character concept.

Spoiler: Daran (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Here's his stats. I'll keep adding bits of his character sheet.

STR: 14 (+2)
DEX: 11 (+0)
CON: 12 (+1)
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 14 (+2)
CHA: 10 (+0)

AC:  15

FORT SAVE:  4
REF SAVE:  3
WILL SAVE:  5

Move speed: 20 ft.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:23:57 pm by Paradox_9 »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2010, 08:04:29 pm »

And therein lies the problem. If you want low-magic, you're going to remove 90% of the game anyway.

So that's the choice: do you want the full 3E experience, or try to houserule magic out of it and lose 90%, or simply cut it off at 6th and lose 90%. I didn't say it was the best choice. I just gave it as a suggestion.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7