Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The biggest issues for the future of Adventure mode  (Read 5251 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
The biggest issues for the future of Adventure mode
« on: February 02, 2010, 07:05:55 pm »

As I look over the changes for the new version, a few things stand out to me as problematic or question provoking. I for one wonder how far adventure skills will let us go, will we basically be able to found our own fortress? Or will we more just build little buildings and compounds? But these aren't really issues for now.

What is an issue, at least as I see it, is the interactions with the new materials, especially regarding weapons and armor. Now, one of those things redded out on the list is this:

Item/attacking part damage

Now that could mean many things but considering the nature of the new materials, how things like the ability to hold an edge and potential brittleness determine damage, I will assume it means that weapons will degrade as they are used over time. It makes sense for your sword to lose it's edge after cleaving through the heads of countless children but this raises a big question: How will adventurers compensate? In fortress mode it's easy to just add a new "sharpen" or "repair" job for the weaponsmith, but it may be more difficult in adventure mode. Will we be given the skills to repair our own weapons? Will we have to bring them to a blacksmith? It would be frankly tragic if our beloved weapons were to shatter and dull without any hope of fixing them.

Perhaps, also, named weapons of a certain caliber and artifacts shouldn't succumb to this. It would be odd to find out that the "fate of cheese" the legendary war ax which was wielded by countless Kings is nothing but a rusted chunk of dull metal. Thats another thing as well, how would we see what the status of our weapons and armor is?

Discuss the issues you foresee and offer your solutions, who knows, maybe toady will find one of them useful.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: The biggest issues for the future of Adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 10:00:35 pm »

As far as I know, the Adventurer Skills arc will eventually result in most, if not all, fortress mode skills being moved to Adventure Mode. That should include weaponsmithing, which resolves the problem if weaponsmiths or whatever get the ability to repair weapons.

Then there's the Bustling Towns arc, most importantly Core42, TOWN, ITEMS: "Basic items all around the town, including differentiations between the homes of various people. Keys. Clothes, outfits, uniforms and symbols. Workshops/etc. in towns related to professions, trade and resources."

The last bit of that seems to imply that you'll eventually be able to pay craftsmen and artisans to do stuff for you.

It seems that if weapon repair is at all possible, it'll certainly be possible in Adventure mode.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:02:59 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 10:12:29 pm »

Also, there is already a system in place which tells the quality of items and armor, namely all the weird symbols you see before and after an item name like - = + * etc, as well as X XX and !!, including in the item description where it says it is worn or destroyed, etc.

That system would merely need to be expanded. 

To me, the biggest issues for the future of Adventure mode is getting Toady to NOTICE IT!!!!

WE'RE HERE!  WE LOVE YOU!!! HUGGLES!  SKILLS PLEASE!!!!
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 03:35:44 pm »

Also, there is already a system in place which tells the quality of items and armor, namely all the weird symbols you see before and after an item name like - = + * etc, as well as X XX and !!, including in the item description where it says it is worn or destroyed, etc.

That system would merely need to be expanded. 

To me, the biggest issues for the future of Adventure mode is getting Toady to NOTICE IT!!!!

Yeah, that is one way to do it, but it may be easier, in adventure mode, for you to be simply able to "look" at an item and have it tell you if it is dull, cracked, rusting etc. It would simply be a matter of updating the little descriptions of the items so that it displays a certain line of text for each condition. This way the name wouldn't get loaded down with a dozen more symbols.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 04:01:39 pm »

sigged! XD
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 11:58:37 pm »

I assume that Toady would add something like Whetstones to use to keep the edge of the sword in Adventure mode while you're out adventuring (read: Killing everything).

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 11:15:45 am »

Now that could mean many things but considering the nature of the new materials, how things like the ability to hold an edge and potential brittleness determine damage, I will assume it means that weapons will degrade as they are used over time.

That's part of it.  The other parts are that a) armor gets dented and pierced and b) an "attacking [body] part" can also take damage, e.g. broken knuckles, teeth left embedded in the victim, etc.

Perhaps, also, named weapons of a certain caliber and artifacts shouldn't succumb to this. It would be odd to find out that the "fate of cheese" the legendary war ax which was wielded by countless Kings is nothing but a rusted chunk of dull metal. Thats another thing as well, how would we see what the status of our weapons and armor is?

It's likely that artifacts (and masterworks, to a degree) will be resistant to mundane forms of damage like rust.  However, there's tons of precedent for legendary weapons being shattered etc.  After all, you can't have an epic reforging of a broken blade unless it actually gets broken first.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 12:15:50 am »

^ At the same time, they should be recoverable rather than lost forever, and preferably immune to rusting / losing their edge. That said, I would laugh if someone eventually "recreated" Lord of the Rings in DF adventure mode.

The flying -Larch arrow- strikes the Elephant in the head!
It is bruised!
The elephant's brain has been bruised!
The flying -Alder arrow- strikes the elephant in the head!
It is mangled!
The elephant's brain has been torn!
The flying *Pine arrow* strikes the elephant in the head!
It is driven into the body, an unrecognisable mass!
The elephant's brain has been pierced!
"Mumak", Elephant has been struck down.

Urist McGimli: That only counts as one!
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 05:23:27 am »

He said he prefers it to fortmode somewhere, a'tually.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 09:50:06 pm »

He said he prefers it to fortmode somewhere, a'tually.

Sometimes, I do myself- that i, if it was so fraktard slow on my Mac with Mayday's mod...
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 10:02:37 pm »

Toady will probably nerf Fluffy Wamblers soon.

Urist mc.miner

• Bay Watcher
  • Exit light!Enter night!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 03:56:31 am »

He should because if a godamn FLUFFY WAMBLER can kill a bronze colossus but my steel axe has a nearly impossible time even scratching them they should be nerfed.
Anyway i think toady should make it so that you can get hungry,thirsty etc while travelling.
Quote from: Footkerchief on Today at 02:46:06 am
Quote from: Grakelin on May 12, 2010, 10:01:05 pm
In Soviet Russia, environment destroys you!

Germany learned this the hard way.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 06:29:01 am »

I don't think weapon degradation will be much of problem. There's always another wolf ready to be used as a club when your last one wears out.

What you need in adventure mode to make it more fun is a point. Why am I killing this dragon? Why am I attacking this hydra? Why am I exterminating this village? Actually, you're probably exterminating a village because you're searching for a point. Any additions that alleviate the lack of a point are the most important ones for me. I think as players we are mostly looking for our characters to make a difference in the world because that gives us a sense of accomplishment. At the moment the easiest (only?) way to make a difference in adventure mode is to kill things.

The quickest change that I would love to see is that all world leaders (quest givers) are made to never ever move from where you first find them. Later that can be changed so that they can move while still giving you a chance to find them again without it being aggravating. Maybe breaking all their legs at world gen as a placeholder could work.

Humanoid Cardboard Robot

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [NOT_WATERPROOF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 07:17:54 pm »

The quickest change that I would love to see is that all world leaders (quest givers) are made to never ever move from where you first find them. Later that can be changed so that they can move while still giving you a chance to find them again without it being aggravating. Maybe breaking all their legs at world gen as a placeholder could work.

Easy, make them start out in Towns. They'll still be in their natural biome (Mountain town for Dwaves and Forest towns for Elves) and now the leaders/quest givers are easier to find plus they'll also sell their nifty steel and bismuth bronze (or if you went the extra mile, adamantine) stuff.

And yeah, eventually fortress mode skills will be available to Adventure mode (so much !fun! to be had) and maybe we will be able to influence the world more, from the the towns economy to possibly triggering all out wars between civilizations. Imagine a future quest where the king asks you to make him a masterpiece weapon which leads you to mountains and underground caverns for the best materials...then rejects it's because "it needs more spikes".
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 11:57:25 pm by Humanoid Cardboard Robot »
I modded the Dwarves beard to be able to [GRASP] stuff. Now they have shields in both hands while their beards holds an axe. I also made Humans able to grasp with their mouth, so they should also be able to multigrasp 2-handed swords while mouth wielding a shield...so yeah, they block things with their face.

I was also planning to add [GRASP] to Elf ears...but that would have been silly. Heh, can you imagine shooting a bow with their pointy ears and.....Hmm, on second thought...why not?

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 08:07:43 pm »

Now that could mean many things but considering the nature of the new materials, how things like the ability to hold an edge and potential brittleness determine damage, I will assume it means that weapons will degrade as they are used over time. It makes sense for your sword to lose it's edge after cleaving through the heads of countless children but this raises a big question: How will adventurers compensate? In fortress mode it's easy to just add a new "sharpen" or "repair" job for the weaponsmith, but it may be more difficult in adventure mode. Will we be given the skills to repair our own weapons? Will we have to bring them to a blacksmith? It would be frankly tragic if our beloved weapons were to shatter and dull without any hope of fixing them.

Discuss the issues you foresee and offer your solutions, who knows, maybe toady will find one of them useful.

I believe it has been said in this topic and many other topics that eventually Fortress mode skills will be brought to adventure mode. Perhaps the Weaponsmithing skill will let you repair and perform maintenance on your weapons? In my mind, I'd imagine that you'd be able to purchase items such as metalworking hammers and anvils. Let's say you started out with a no-quality Iron Axe. With a high enough metalsmithing tools and the right anvil, you can sharpen the edge and upgrade it to a -Iron Axe-, or even better with higher skills.

Maybe we can also stud weapons in the future. Stud your Steel Warhammer with some adamantine laying around and that thing will cause pain.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~
Pages: [1] 2