Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: The Scale of the Universe  (Read 7981 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Scale of the Universe
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2010, 10:34:17 pm »

I generally find myself in the same situation.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2010, 09:38:43 pm »

I just LOVE things like this.

A little perspective:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/525347

Extremely relaxing.

RELAXING?  Until that, I was sure that the universe was created by the big bang.  Something about my understanding was constant.  Then I realize the universe is far, far larger than we can see, and the only basis for the age of the universe is how far we can see.

But now?  How do I know the "big bang" wasn't just a seed from a far bigger entity in the vastness we can't see?  Sigh, at least my insignificance is comforting.

EDIT: But maybe we humans are not insignificant.  Assuming the Universe is an entity with knowledge of all things, then it would also hold that such a vast entity would be limited in its ability to comprehend and influence events in the short term.  Such an entity would then create a smaller, more responsive, but far less intelligent entity that could effect change in a short period of time, measured in years instead of eons.  I propose Humans are in fact that lesser entity utilized by the universe for short-term change, the "responsive element" that can be used by the universe to "fix" long term plans and be fully congnizant of a significantly tiny area, as opposed to the Universe which knows what happens everywhere, but at the cost of realization.  Kinda like how a person can only know one topic throughly or know a tiny bit about everything, or how it takes time for infomation to be retrieved and transfered from point A to point B.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2010, 10:31:09 pm »

I just LOVE things like this.

A little perspective:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/525347

Extremely relaxing.

RELAXING?  Until that, I was sure that the universe was created by the big bang.  Something about my understanding was constant.  Then I realize the universe is far, far larger than we can see, and the only basis for the age of the universe is how far we can see.

But now?  How do I know the "big bang" wasn't just a seed from a far bigger entity in the vastness we can't see?  Sigh, at least my insignificance is comforting.

Well, there is a healthy body of evidence to show that the big bang is our best explanation for the formation of the universe. Curious are you of the popular thought that the big bang happen one point in the universe?

EDIT: But maybe we humans are not insignificant. 

Does it matter? This is a bit metaphorical, but things only matter to peeples because peeples make them matter.

We are but a pale blue dot in the seemingly infinite sands of the universe.

The stunning thing, the beautiful thing is that we can comprehending some of this, and comprehend that we aren't comprehending it all. That the grandest parts of the universe from the speculated very small, to the staggeringly very large are at our possible understanding, where we evolved to only deal with something as small as the ball point of a pen to the size of mountains.

Assuming the Universe is an entity with knowledge of all things, then it would also hold that such a vast entity would be limited in its ability to comprehend and influence events in the short term.  Such an entity would then create a smaller, more responsive, but far less intelligent entity that could effect change in a short period of time, measured in years instead of eons.  I propose Humans are in fact that lesser entity utilized by the universe for short-term change, the "responsive element" that can be used by the universe to "fix" long term plans and be fully cognizant of a significantly tiny area, as opposed to the Universe which knows what happens everywhere, but at the cost of realization.  Kinda like how a person can only know one topic throughly or know a tiny bit about everything, or how it takes time for infomation to be retrieved and transfered from point A to point B.

Um... sure. Its not the craziest comfort belief I've seen.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]