Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zerg Rush  (Read 2349 times)

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zerg Rush
« on: February 02, 2010, 01:31:30 pm »

So I am sure I am not the only one to have gotten into a position where either their military was too far away to help, or they had no military (nor attack dogs) and had to resort to mass amounts of recruitment to slay an incoming invading force or sole creature and I thought we should share some such stories because of when it turns out exceptionally fun/Fun. 

For me I just got a migrant wave, it paused and snapped me over to where the migrants were coming in and I cried a bit.  My brilliant migrants decided it would be a good idea to spawn on the edge of the map where a Copper Golem, along with two Green Slimes a short distance away, waited (If you don't know what these are they are creatures in Dig Deeper mod, the Copper Golem's are probably not that hard for most moderate militaries, but they are fairly resilient and not too weak, and Green Slimes are the bane of existence for anything not armed.)

I knew if the migrants ran around like chickens with their heads cut off, even a little, the green slimes would feast on a few, and the golem probably would have din din as well, so I turned all seven migrants one after another into a soldier and they dog piled the golem.  I unpaused after drafting the last of the migrants and watched as the golem dissapeared under the dwarf-swarm and...

BOOM, the damned thing just exploded everywhere and at first i thought my dwarves got obliterated but they were all fine besides some bruising.  FEAR UNTRAINED WRESTLERS!  They make your joints esssploaddddddd 

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Zerg Rush
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 01:38:10 pm »

Once immigrants showed up and right behind them was a giant desert scorpion.

Now I don't know if the scorpion was lurking nearby out-of-map as those creatures tend to wander on and off the area .. but he followed hot on their heels and there would probably had been carnage. Had not one of the immigrants been a wrestler.

They fought and the wrestler was torn to pieces. I ordered a squad to deal with the threat but no one bothered showing up except this one recruit who rushed into battle. and quite epic it was! He immediately lodged his sword in the stinger of the scorpion and (i imagine) bashed it to death with his shield. All the while this fiend was wielding a severed arm in one of his pincers.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 02:58:16 pm »

I once had an opposite zerg rush with goblins, my lone woodcutter was out, well cutting, when a seige spawned, 4 groups of 7 goblin wrestlers each, and completely surround my woodcutter, so I decided to make him military. Just as they converged on him, he went martial and there was blood, and bodies flying EVERYWHERE.  At which point the matrix theme song music, on my media player came on.  I nick named him neil.
Nom nom nom

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 04:41:42 pm »

At which point the matrix theme song music, on my media player came on.  I nick named him neil.

You do mean Neo right...

And as for your woodcutter, I want him.  I would have retired him lol, made him Captain of the Guard for no dwarf would dare break the law with a dwarf such as he in charge!

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 04:54:30 pm »

A) no, Neil Caffry(spellcheck?) played Neo in the matrix so...yeah

B)Had a similar incident only it ended in a draw.
    My starting woodcutter was out getting bucket material when a goblin ambush was spotted by my fisherdwarf(who was slaughtered). My woodcutter (being closest and already killing about 5 kobolds since the fort began) was drafted once again to deal with a meager threat (atleast until my ranger turned marksdwarf arrived Note: he never did) so as Tun(his Armok given name) charged the 5 wrestlers and 2 maceman head on thingslooked good...until he decided to shortcut by a pool of water I had neglected to build a ramp in. as the wrestlers appproached he dodged, narrowly missing the pool. The next dodge fixed that and he was thrown in, drowning. suddenly, 3 'g's go missing from around the pool. I lower a level and there they are. I guess they thought that a drowning dwarf with head trauma wasn't "dead" enough as was. S they jumped in and broke his axe hand before drowning themselves
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 05:33:20 pm »

no, Neil Caffry(spellcheck?) played Neo in the matrix so...yeah

Er no, that was Keanu Reeves.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 05:40:55 pm »

My poor farmer dwarf and crafts dwarf...

THey were out collecting previous goblin clothing when the ambush struck, i put them onto active duty.
They slaughtered three each but ultimatly died.
Damn military for not responding fast enough...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 09:23:26 pm »

no, Neil Caffry(spellcheck?) played Neo in the matrix so...yeah

Er no, that was Keanu Reeves.

ehh Neil, Keanu. idk names really just faces.
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

Snix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 11:28:15 pm »

I started a fort in dwarf haven a few months ago. The setup was going fine, digging out the initial living quarters and such when my hunter stumbles upon the GCS. No sooner had I got the message that Urist had died when what seemed like my whole fort lept to claim his clothes and other possessions. Those too died.

Realizing this was not going to be a successful fort I drafted the remaining dwarfs and sent them on a suicide run. They won, we were down to 3 with only 2 functional but it worked. Unfortunatley a few troglodytes had picked up the GCS's home and were scaring off the random hauler.

That was the fort I learned you could tell the idiots to stop going after items lying around dead people. It took several more rushes after Migrant waves to get rid of them.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 11:38:09 pm »

They love dem elves very, very much.

Trippin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 01:18:06 am »

okay, i rarely post on this forum, or any forum for that matter, so this is a bit of a treat for me.

I had diverted the cave river to the map edge on a treeless map where there was soil, in the hopes of terraforming that area into a forest.
I even put fortifications up to keep cave-monsters out.... but I must have missed a gap, cause two snakemen and a giant olm were on the surface, far away from my dwarves... I thought nothing of them....

Untill i ran out of booze for lack of barrels...and suddenly my dwarves were drinking from the diverted river. I set up my military close to the drinking zone in case they got too close. Soon later the snakemen chased a mountain goat into my civvies, killing two before the military could get there, and losing one recruit. Okay, I thought, threat over... a giant olm won't do much, and hes just chasing some gremlin around the other side of the map.... oh how I was wrong.

The olm chases the little bastard right to the route between my fort and the watering hole, sending civvies into a blind panic.... before the military got there, there were several dead dwarfs and I zerg rushed them with every nearby dwarf.... it killed three miners, one legendary, two masons, and injured three other dwarves before being overwhelmed by my (slow) military which finally showed up...

In a map with no wood for beds, the injured are laying where they fell, screaming in agony and passing out to the pain for some sweet unconsciousness.... im just waiting for the tantrum spiral.....
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 01:23:16 am by Trippin »
I imagine that every fortress will eventually become a roiling mass of naked, muddy beardballs so fat they have to travel by rolling around.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 01:29:12 am »

The Anti-zerg

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Trippin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 01:32:21 am »

On a unrelated note, is it possible to terraform barren soilscapes into anything useful by flooding it?
I imagine that every fortress will eventually become a roiling mass of naked, muddy beardballs so fat they have to travel by rolling around.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 02:42:06 am »

The short answer is yes, with some exceptions.

On an unaltered z-level yes, provided there is flora on the map already, stuff will start to grow.

On altered z-levels it's a different story. Plant life tends to not survive falling down z-levels, and therefore doesn't reproduce. Grass can survive, and will spread, but you won't get harvestable plant growth like trees and shrubs. The "reproduce by spore" method doesn't seem to apply to plants. The exception seems to be when mucky, mud plant life is part of the topsoil biome (swamp regions, tower caps, ect...) then you'll get regrowth on altered z-levels.

I did a lot of experimenting trying to start an underground forest without an underground river at one point. I dropped a 10X10 square three z-levels, exposed it all to sunlight, and flooded it. Stayed muddy for 6 years. Then I dropped a 3x3 tile one z-level. Grass survived and moved around, but after three years I got no regrowth on it.

There might be other x-factors too, like weather and temperature effects.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 04:27:05 am »

Champion Axedwarves:
Freeing oppressed limbs from their goblin masters since 203.

Pages: [1] 2