Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Titan Quest  (Read 1376 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Titan Quest
« on: February 02, 2010, 12:53:07 pm »

In honor of the fact that Steam has the collection on sale for $4.99(us) right now I thought I would ask those of you who have played it for your opinions. Personally I loved the story and the Diablo game mechanic. It's a fairly long playthrough so it's really a no-brainer imho.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
Re: Titan Quest
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 01:02:18 pm »

Not as good as Sacred as it lacks the wonderful sense of self-irony that game had, but better in terms of pure gameplay. The best current diablo-clone, as Diablo 2 itself is getting quite old. I've no problems with the graphics, but there are certain mechanics that are quite obsolete already.

As for TQ itself, a wonderful world, abysmal voiceovers, quite well-created class system with some interesting skills, somewhat repetitive but with a nice graphics and physics engine to compensate.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 10:01:11 pm »

I wonder if it's worth my $5, I mean, I've definitely gotten my $5 worth from torchlight

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 10:49:20 pm »

I never found the game very appealing.  For one thing there was so much distance between checkpoints you would have to play for like, 2 hours straight just to keep your progress, and it wasn't really all that engrossing for me so playing for a long time without stopping wasn't really fun.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:54:06 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Arucard

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 11:30:27 am »

Aww! It's 5$ now? I got it after playing a demo about a year ago (bought it off someone for like $20  :-[). Oh well, I enjoyed it though I never finished. I really like greek mythology, so it was still worth it to me. Though I wished the mods could be used/played in the actual game space rather than loaded at the title.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 03:07:24 pm »

Slow-paced compared to diablo; too slow for my tastes.
Hates melee classes.

Also, i'm currently struggling to make this thing talk english to me (a choice given by steam) as the german text and voices are horrible. From one of the people above me, i guess there isn't much to be gained from a language change?

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 03:34:17 pm »

Slow-paced compared to diablo; too slow for my tastes.
Hates melee classes.

Also, i'm currently struggling to make this thing talk english to me (a choice given by steam) as the german text and voices are horrible. From one of the people above me, i guess there isn't much to be gained from a language change?

You're wrong. The game hates people who one skill. If you decisively divide you skill points into multiple abilities and use those in conjunction with other skills, you can find melee class to be one of the better classes, at least compared to hunting/archery.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 03:52:15 pm »

I actually found the game to dislike melee classes too, in Olympus at least.. and I didn't single out any skill. In fact I almost ragequit many a time because of how ridiculous the fighting was.
Other then that the game was decent. It got mind-numbingly repetitive later on though and the loot seemed equally boring. Strangely enough I liked this game more than Torchlight. Worth the 5 bucks probably.

I never got the expansion (there IS an expansion right?) so maybe that one was an improvement.

Arucard

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 07:00:48 am »

That's strange, I seemed to have the opposite problem. I haven't played it in a while so excuse me for misnaming classes and whatever, but I tried to make a character with the nature skill/magic and make her a hunter. Usually I would start combat by summoning whatever creature I had, then pelting the enemy with arrows. The almost invariably ingnored the creature and ran straight for me. The real-time menus meant I had to haul ass while trying to switch back to a sword. I could only get magic staves to be very effective in ranged combat.

@Debvon, yes the expansion pack was called Immortal Throne, and I believe it involved questing into the Underworld (or Hades or whatever), it looked cool but I never got it.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 07:07:06 am »

@Debvon, yes the expansion pack was called Immortal Throne, and I believe it involved questing into the Underworld (or Hades or whatever), it looked cool but I never got it.

Further more it's included as part of the $5 (or £2.49 for me)
Figure even if it's terrible I can't go wrong at that price.

Actually Steam's midweek madness and weekend deals always seem to get me ...
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 05:23:27 am »

My one problem with Titan Quest, is that the maps aren't random seed.  Makes me sad during subsequent playthroughs.   :-[
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 05:14:09 pm »

I played this game years ago but then lost interest. Recently I started playing again with a friend, mainly because his laptop is too weak to play any other LAN games that I have, not because I like TQ itself. I got reminded why I lost interest with this game in the first place: The world and story are very uninspiring and most of the skills are passive. Diablo's gameplay is much more stronger because you have to ready to press the right buttons. In TQ, you just press the same left or right mouse click over and over. Boring...
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)