Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [d16]invisible frozen items and invisible, passthrough (threatening!) ice walls  (Read 671 times)

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

probably been reported before, and as entertaining as reading these bugs forums is (it really is for some reason ;p  ), I could only check back so far.  Search engine turned up nothing similar.

Ok, so the main entrance to my fort is a retractable bridge over a pit that I can fill/empty with water using some pumps.  When I am invaded, part of my fort's defense is to drop large amounts of invaders into this pit and drown them at my liesure, then restore access to the pit internally to retrieve the goodies.  A few of the tiles of the pit are outdoors, so when winter rolls around, water in those freezes, destroying the dead invaders and their stuff.  Later the ice melts, and there's nothing there. 

However, I'm extremely anal about the clothing and armor in the Stocks list, and spend (it seems like) half my time managing stuff through there.  I noticed while melting all the narrow metal armors that some of them were invisible(not hidden), inaccessable, and in some cases flying(or at least suspended in midair).  Drowning chamber 2.0 deepened the pit by a z level to prevent annoying flooding(and icing) problems, so some of the items were destroyed on a tile that later had a channel dug under it.  The items (since they don't exist in any meaningful way) remained suspended in midair. 

When I first built my drowning chamber, it was only 1 z level deep so it would overflow a little when I used it.  As a result, one year the water on the surface (bridge) level froze into ice blocks while the bridge was retracted (I was under siege).  Later, after the siege, I brought the bridge back down, which (seemed to) destroy the ice.  This is a retractable bridge mind you, not a drawbridge.  The dwarves went about their business gathering up things from outside, but whenever they would cross the bridge they would cancel their job : Dangerous terrain. 

It took me a while to figure out that the ice walls that the bridge had closed onto were still there.  The dwarves could walk through them(on the bridge), but would get scared by doing so, and drop whatever they were doing.  I designated the walls to be mined (with no visible designation effect since the walls were hidden by the bridge), and my miner took them out while the bridge was still extended, seeming to create ice stones out of thin air. 

EDIT:
First one might be :
# 000525 □ [dwarf mode][flows]   items that were pushed around by water didn't show up with look command

Although I find it odd that each of those items was located in a square that had been frozen if thats the case
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 05:49:49 am by derigo »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

This sounds similar to the bug in which ice can sometimes be turned into weird 'empty space' void tiles, although it could also be related to the bug where objects pushed by water vanish into limbo.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know a bug's been reported where you could freeze enemies in ice, then melt the ice, for the items to disappear -- only to reappear later if you froze the same tiles and then dug them out. Something about melting ice blocks doesn't preserve the items contained within them.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Ha, I just found it while looking for another ice-related bug.  I knew it'd been reported before.

# 000713 □ [dwarf mode][items]   (Report) items can disappear when ice melts after being imbedded

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ok what about the invisible walk-throughable threatening ice walls?