Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: AtonementRPI – MUD (If Space-Station 13 were a MUD)  (Read 9634 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AtonementRPI – MUD (If Space-Station 13 were a MUD)
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2011, 11:23:19 pm »

I'm trying to login in, but it's not working. Question though, what's it like now? Future post-apoc?

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2011, 11:49:02 pm »

Man, I've seen this thread revive once or twice, and always meant to give it a shot. I'm totally going to do it now, shortly after having played (and completed, I loved it) Dead Space 2.

EDIT:
What's the average playerbase for this online at a time?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 11:50:57 pm by Detrevni|inverteD »

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2011, 12:10:46 am »

I honestly only played through the character creation, I have no idea.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2011, 12:56:34 am »

The game doesn't seem to be based on a space ship at all anymore, rather a moon with cities akin to HellMOO and other such post apocalyptic settings.

Darn. I was looking forward to some hell in space action. Oh well, I'll still give it a shot.

Are there any commands for navigation? A map would be lovely. I am god awful at finding my way around in MU*s.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2011, 06:05:52 am »

Has anyone actually made it past the character creator?
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2011, 07:57:56 am »

For those wondering what the hell happened to the space ship, read this summary.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2011, 08:25:24 am »

Has anyone actually made it past the character creator?

I've submitted an application but have yet to hear back from Admins.

Apparently the ship crashed into Earth's moon, and there's now a very basic post apocalyptic bunch of cities that everyone is living in. I don't really know what to make of it, I kind of like how it's a progressive story where characters have a direct impact on it's direction, but at the same time I don't think I'll enjoy it as much now knowing that it's just another cybersphere type deal instead of the super original prospect of Dead Space/SS13 hell on a ship awesome.

Still, though, I'll give it a go.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2011, 09:11:11 am »

After perusing the wiki and making a character (slapped together based on a Jim Dandy frame) I can't help but question the logic behind some of the statements...

Apparently the moon is partially terraformed*, so you can go outside the protective domes and hunt for stuff and wildlife, which makes me wonder why it's set on the moon in the first place. If it's just a miniature nuked out Earth.

*Can't be done. Short of using MAGIC(tm)

Guns are plentiful, but bullets are rare as hell because the moon has very little lead... So what are the guns made of, plastic? Wood? Snot and prayer? Would make more sense if bullets were rare because of a lack of manufacturing facilities and general knowledge.

On that note: There's a few gravestones in the graveyard which are made of MARBLE. Ostentatiousness is one thing, but the cost of shipping a marble slab to the moon with current means would make that piece just stupidly gaudy, especially for a simple grave marker. This just bugs me to no end.

And yeah, I'm not very thrilled about the change of scenery either. Not so much the fact it's no longer a handful of survivors trying to eke out a existance on a doomed claustrophobic ship... Well actually that is more or less the fact. I prefer my science soft, I admit, but this is beyond soft and straight into frictionless fantasy territory. There's f***ing goats in the mountains. What do they even eat?

I don't know, it does feel like it's just another post-apoc low-tech fallout roleplay... Set on the moon. (Which is not very moon like) but I'll have to somehow force mr. Dandy onto the grid and actually play some roles first before passing the big hammer of judgement.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:21:20 am by Cajoes »

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2011, 09:23:20 am »

Apparently there are monumental machines called "Firebreathers" capable of converting scrap into usable resources, so I guess guns and things are made out of that. And apparently technology is extremely limited to normal people, and the "upper class" are able to revel in the luxury of being able to use computers and such. But, well, it's still quite confusing. My main problem is the lack of explanation as to the creation of these cities. Where did all the resources come from? Did they dig it up with their hands? How was the moon terraformed so quickly after the ship crashed, and how did they even manage to do it? Apparently the ship was set to go to Earth, so why did they have the means to terraform the moon onboard? What happened to the survivors of the ship if the moon had absolutely no breathable atmosphere? Do they mean to say when it crashed there were no hull breaches and everyone just suddenly decided to start terraforming shit?

I guess these are all plotholes handwaved away during the process of a storyline that's driven by a community of players rather than a singular GM or a writer. Like you said, I will reserve strict judgement for when I actually get ingame. It could still be good!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:26:29 am by Detrevni|inverteD »

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2011, 09:44:31 am »

Apparently there are monumental machines called "Firebreathers" capable of converting scrap into usable resources, so I guess guns and things are made out of that. And apparently technology is extremely limited to normal people, and the "upper class" are able to revel in the luxury of being able to use computers and such. But, well, it's still quite confusing. My main problem is the lack of explanation as to the creation of these cities. Where did all the resources come from? Did they dig it up with their hands? How was the moon terraformed so quickly after the ship crashed, and how did they even manage to do it? Apparently the ship was set to go to Earth, so why did they have the means to terraform the moon onboard? What happened to the survivors of the ship if the moon had absolutely no breathable atmosphere? Do they mean to say when it crashed there were no hull breaches and everyone just suddenly decided to start terraforming shit?

I guess these are all plotholes handwaved away during the process of a storyline that's driven by a community of players rather than a singular GM or a writer. Like you said, I will reserve strict judgement for when I actually get ingame. It could still be good!

Firebreather is a pretty retarded name for a recycler. (Or autolathe) Still, you've misread I think, the LUNAR COLONIES and their handwaved terraformation existed BEFORE the Ship(tm) crashed into it. Apparently nobody gave a damn. So presumably, the survivors, (if any) just sort of filtered into the general populace of inbred illiterate jobbos, bringing nonsensical stories about killer mutants and freaking out when seeing the natives.

Oh and there's apparently a intact bastion of mankind called New Phoenix which consists of Mystery Person (probably some computer) Senators (they don't actually fill a political function, they just like the name) and riot cops... And nothing else. And refuses to trade with the outside world (unless you count bullet exchanges as trading.)

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2011, 09:47:46 am »

So where the heck do these Phoenix guys get their resources from?

This is really quite confusing.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2011, 10:05:28 am »

So where the heck do these Phoenix guys get their resources from?

This is really quite confusing.

They're just the omnious "big bad" faction nobody can apply to.

Bad guys get stuff for free, don'tchaknow.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2011, 10:07:41 am »

So what are the guns made of, plastic?
I wouldn't be surprised if that'd actually be possible. You'd have a hell of a recoil though.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2011, 10:12:46 am »

For those wondering what the hell happened to the space ship, read this summary.

So instead of a pretty interesting and unique intense survival experience alα Aliens it's now Fallout/Firefly (can't really vouch for the Firefly part, having never seen the show in my life, but I was under the assumption the latter had working spaceships and pretty decent technology). Horay for mainstream.*

*By which I mean there's more post-apocalypse MU*s in circulation than cramped claustrophobic alien survival ones.

So what are the guns made of, plastic?
I wouldn't be surprised if that'd actually be possible. You'd have a hell of a recoil though.
Oh there are a few examples of plastic weaponry already, very light things naturally. But with smaller calibers recoil shouldn't be too much of a issue.

I'd be more interested in say, hand-pumped rail-rifles that shot ball bearings though...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 10:15:09 am by Cajoes »

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2011, 11:47:00 am »

Though on a second readthrough of the archived forums and some use of the obvious-lobe in my head (next to the lateral thinking one) I've concluded that, well, basicly without any agreed-upon social norms it's basicly dog-eat-dog. With weaker entries being bulled into giving up their supplies and then leaving in rapid rotation...

Of course I doubt this has anything to do with the setting in itself and more of the fact we tend to revert to a pre-civilization behaviour when shit hits the fan and it's not clear where the next meal will come from. That said, I'm still pretty meh about moon-goats.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8