Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: AtonementRPI – MUD (If Space-Station 13 were a MUD)  (Read 9644 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: AtonementRPI – MUD (If Space-Station 13 were a MUD)
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 04:17:57 pm »

Out of curiosity, have you ever seen the film pandorum? Becuase your description of this game instantly brought it to mind (been sitting here for ages trying to think of the films name :P)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 06:09:12 pm »

What kind of environment mechanics does the space station have? Is there any way for players to screw with the air, water or gravity? Where does the food come from besides new players? Can the ai control station systems?

I don't know what coded systems are in place for things like atmospherics, and if they can be dicked with or not, there are certain locations (like engineering) I can't access as my character has clearance for the research labs as he's a scientist, not an engineer. However, once you get into the game you'll notice that there are both pipes and power cables coded in, these are badly damaged in some places, and you can try to repair them or in some places rip them up... I've gleaned from within the game that when the first people woke up all the lights were working and the place was generally in good repair, but either they or something else ripped the ship (sorry if I say station it's a force of habit, but as far as I know this is a space ship not a station) up a bit, certainly it caused the issue with lighting and the damage to wires.

The resources in terms of wires and pipes and other repair materials seems more or less exhausted, unless there's a huge cache in engineering. I know metal is needed, and the engineers ask people to make sure to give them the empty tins after they eat rations. By the way, most random crap can be used in crafts, though you may not see that if you don't have the craft skills needed to have an item in your craft list that uses them, but if you do and you EXAMINE an object it'll tell you if you 'realise' that it can be used in a craft you know. But there are people walking around with cook-pot helms, tin-can pauldrons, serving-plate shirts, and many variety of duct-tape-enhanced clothing or weapons... it's pretty amusing and awesome all at the same time.

As for rations, other than the AI which gives them out to new players, the only other source is corpses, and apparently some sort of factory on deck 2, they try to send teams up to gather rations when they can, but the last one ended in a lot of death the moment they stepped out of the elevator and other (Hidden Fun Stuff) which forced an immediate retreat.

There is apparently no lighting on up there, but there are machines, not sure what they all do other than the factory which produces (or delivers) rations. There are a number of things you can build/fix/use, such as cameras, traps, even remote droids... though my knowledge of the ins and outs of that is very limited due to my more science focused skill-set. But I know they try to scout deck 2 using some sort of droid that was refurbished, and there are cameras around, though many are just static right now which suggests wherever they are they're broken, and one is in perpetual darkness (I imagine it's some place on deck 2, and I'd actually be able to see something through it if I looked when there was a team up there with lights.)

As for the AI, I have /very/ limited knowledge of its capabilities, I am assuming it's manipulated by the staff only and isn't a player or an active coded AI. I know in some event that it sealed off an area that got broken into from deck 2 by the stuff that is up there that's eating everyone's faces off, but that's the limit of my knowledge. There's some sort of religion springing up around the Ship though (and presumably the AI that runs it) among the survivors, the head of that movement may know much more.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 06:19:40 pm »

This sounds exactly like a mud for me.

but i gotta wait for acceptance.

(lame as fuck)
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 06:34:30 pm »

Yeah, hehe, my mate was crawling up the wall by the 3rd day wanting to play. It seems to me a bit overbearing that some apps are turned down based on spelling mistakes though--I mean, if they can see it's just a typo or something, why not just fix it and accept the application? I don't know if they have those sorts of admin tools but I'd be surprised if they don't. Though I certainly understand wanting to enforce a set of standards on new characters, to avoid people with very outlandish descriptions "a 12 foot lizard stands here, looking awesome" or in the case that they set up a character and describe their goals in the background thing, but then set up skills that would actively make such a character difficult or impossible to play (say an engineer with no engineering skills at all) then it gives them the chance to step in and say they don't think that's a smart move...

But still, it sucks to wait, but in my opinion very much worth it :) There's a decided lack of serious RP sci-fi muds around, at least ones set in more apocalyptic or horror themed settings.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 06:49:34 pm »

The more you talk about this, the more i want to play it. :P

Just tried logging on to make my application, and it wont connect? This is from the "play now" button on their site. Says there is a security error? :(

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 06:50:11 pm »

Yeah, hehe, my mate was crawling up the wall by the 3rd day wanting to play. It seems to me a bit overbearing that some apps are turned down based on spelling mistakes though--I mean, if they can see it's just a typo or something, why not just fix it and accept the application? I don't know if they have those sorts of admin tools but I'd be surprised if they don't. Though I certainly understand wanting to enforce a set of standards on new characters, to avoid people with very outlandish descriptions "a 12 foot lizard stands here, looking awesome" or in the case that they set up a character and describe their goals in the background thing, but then set up skills that would actively make such a character difficult or impossible to play (say an engineer with no engineering skills at all) then it gives them the chance to step in and say they don't think that's a smart move...

But still, it sucks to wait, but in my opinion very much worth it :) There's a decided lack of serious RP sci-fi muds around, at least ones set in more apocalyptic or horror themed settings.

Oh God for spelling mistakes...

shit.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 10:08:07 pm »

Woot, got accepted and took less than 24 hours, anyone else playing?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 10:50:33 pm »

Erm, I created an account, but whenever I try to connect it tells me an account was already created using said IP.

I'm not trying to create another one, I'm trying to connect with the account they sent me over email >:C
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 10:52:06 pm »

Use the login function instead of the create function on the login screen?

Also I've applied and made a character. Waiting for the acceptance that will most likely not happen due to grammar mistakes.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 11:16:35 pm »

I am, i got nicknamed 235 ingame, what did you get nicknamed?  I'm a blonde haired male with blue eyes, or a blonde male with blue eyes.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 11:26:18 pm »

Waiting for acceptance now, lets see how this goes. Lets just hope the whole thing doesn't consist of a small group of admins who ban everyone that won't kiss their character's non-existant arse, which happens a bit too often on RPI MUDs.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 11:29:08 pm by Dakk »
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 12:15:03 am »

I am, i got nicknamed 235 ingame, what did you get nicknamed?  I'm a blonde haired male with blue eyes, or a blonde male with blue eyes.

Only just logged in, trying to remember all the mud commands I've apparently forgotten over the years :P

i'm a wide-chested man with a long disheveled beard, or something to that effect.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 12:22:39 am »

Eh, I got accepted, lets see whats all about. I'm Finn in game.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 12:36:54 am »

I seem to be getting some dodgey lag. Keeps hanging and not updating anything, or responding to commands. Anyone else getting this?

Also: I'm using the C-mud client thingie atm but its only a 30 day trial, does anyone know a good free thing to use?

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2010, 12:54:51 am »

I got accepted near instantly. :smug:
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8