Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BWAHAHAHA Stupid Carp!  (Read 594 times)

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
BWAHAHAHA Stupid Carp!
« on: February 01, 2010, 09:42:18 pm »

So, I started a fortress last night, good two levels of sand, with limestone and plentiful calcinite (steel), with Magma, a River, trees, and quite a few gemstones in my initial excavation. I was pleased.

Initial scouting of the area showed tons of deer, a couple wolves, and..... CARP. Fortunately, the River they were in was all the way across my 7x7 from both my wagon and the chosen starting point. First season went well, and I had 10 migrants at the end of summer.

Decided to start my crossbow corps, as well as my swordsdwarves healthy, with 3 each. Get them training, and next thing I know, one of them is unconcious. In the river. Across the map. With the carp. ALL the remaining 5 immediately went screaming out to hop into the river and play with the carp.

I was distraught.

Fortunately, after I lost both my Rangers (also came in that migration) trying to gun those little bastards down, ol' father winter answered my prayers and enacted a swift genocide.

I was disappointed that a map that I was so fond of would probably have to be abandoned from all the dwarves flying out to jump in the river.

Thank you Father Winter!

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BWAHAHAHA Stupid Carp!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 10:14:11 pm »

I had never played against the vicious carp beasts before this one awesome map I spawned, and being much a noob I figured "heck, I started in a fairly neutral zone, what could there possibly be here that would make my life difficult?"  Not checking my unit screen I merrily went along on my way making a productive fortress, my caravan came, I traded some non essential stuff, all was good and right in the world. 

And lo and behold my migrants come!  I was so happy, I got into Dwarf Manager (or therepist, I forget what I use), and finally give them their jobs and unpause and sit back and smile as I watch them come on over, crossing the river...and dissapearing as the pretty blue waters run a sickening red, migrant after migrant running around frantically only to end up in the waters of the devilish fish from hell as I scramble to figure out what possibly could be going wrong!  The horror...the horror...

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 11:26:51 pm »

My current Fortress for some reason has no resident creatures in it when I started aside from a small squad of carp on the other side of the map. Within the first winter, they were all eliminated before they could even think about staging a military coup.

On my Adventure profile, my character forced a fleet of Carp, Sturgeon, Sea Lamprey, and Longnose Gar to haul ass down a river in fear. Hundreds, literally, running away in fear.

Breachedshoots on a now dead world had a Carp problem on the corner of the map, which was finally circumvented by me. I sent out my entire squadron of Legendary Marksdwarves to kill the whole lot. It was a massacre. The rivers ran red with blood for months.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 11:30:10 pm »

Normal carp are not so hard to deal with. The undead carp can be a hassle if you start in a hunted area. Lost my fort to them because they attacked right after embarking. They killed my farmer and guarded my plumphelm seeds. After a season they moved in and killed the rest of my people.