Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (Megaproject) The Bridge...to Nowhere  (Read 2232 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
(Megaproject) The Bridge...to Nowhere
« on: February 01, 2010, 03:36:39 pm »

THE CHALLENGE:
To span land to island.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

THE EFFORT:
7 dwarves. No migrants, no digging. 1000 pieces of towercap wood. One bridge.

I will kill these dwarves, spanning this gap between two lands. This is my project. I will do it.

PROJECT EDIT: short lived. My dwarves refused to work because a "squad" of groundhogs migrated on the short piece of land I was using as my anchor. I recruited my dwarves into the military to clean up the groundhogs. THis ended in complete failure as one by one, my dwarves dodged groundhogs and drowned.

PROJECT #2: Embarked with a slightly smaller gap between island and land. I started with a mix of stone and wood, 1000 pieces of granite and 1000 pieces of tower cap wood, turned off immigrants. So far I have completed their room and half of the bridge. The gatehouse on the starting side is a large dome which doubles as quarters until the bridge is completed. Wood supplies are running low, so logging has begun.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 01:15:27 am by They Got Leader »
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Megaproject) The Bridge...to Nowhere
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 04:12:40 pm »

Ah those clever ground hogs, they are always underfoot *tehe*

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 04:14:22 pm »

Yeah, really...
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 04:55:39 pm »

Reclaim!

Also, you will get migrants if any part of passable land connects to the screen edge. Learned this the hard way when I tried to do an island fort, one tiny part of the island was cut off and I then got migrants from that edge, even though it had no access to land anyways. I think the game just spawns migrants from nowhere, for now.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 04:59:06 pm »

Reclaim!

Also, you will get migrants if any part of passable land connects to the screen edge. Learned this the hard way when I tried to do an island fort, one tiny part of the island was cut off and I then got migrants from that edge, even though it had no access to land anyways. I think the game just spawns migrants from nowhere, for now.
That's exactly what happens; and why truly isolated embarks are so hard to find.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 05:47:39 pm »

I had migrants turned off so that it would only be my 7 dwarves from start to finish. I might reclaim, or I might just start again, but with 1 hunter (who has legendary swimming :-\)

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 09:07:02 pm »

God I love the stories this game produces.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 09:21:58 pm »

The fact is was groundhogs was awesome, but I can't help wishing it was wolves. And that there was a helicopter crashing involved.

I'm now inspired to fill a world with failed mega-projects for my adventurer to explore though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 10:26:58 pm »

You know, with stories like this all the inane carvings and names start to make more sense. I mean, if seven dwarves can haul a thousand pieces of mushroom lumber over to an island, start building a bridge just for the sake of building a bridge, get frightened by groundhogs, rally to arms, and end up tumbling off into the sea in battle with said groundhogs, it stands to reason that The Triumphant Flower of Consent, a turtle shell idol featuring ashes in pine, just might have some sort of convoluted logic to it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 11:28:33 pm »

That's a pretty sweet idea.  Maybe try again after modding groundhogs to be more peaceful?
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 12:46:31 am »

I'm inspired, and I'm going for it.

EDIT: Although I'm also being kinda lame about it in that I'm allowing digging and migrants. I embarked without anvil or axe though, and the bridge is going to be solely wood, and I think I'm going to call this a no-trading game too, so immigrant woodcutter? Maybe I can make it with a 1-tile bridge across.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 01:12:24 am by opsneakie »
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 12:57:09 am »

Today IS Groundhog's Day
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 06:53:32 pm »

I am going to start it up again. This time, I'm going to find a brand new place to try it in. Its going to be mix stone/wood. Stone bridge with wooden buildings. Its going to be like a city out on a lake that doubles as a bridge. But! If you try the challenge, make it fun by allowing NO immigrants.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 02:35:13 am »

I am going to start it up again. This time, I'm going to find a brand new place to try it in. Its going to be mix stone/wood. Stone bridge with wooden buildings. Its going to be like a city out on a lake that doubles as a bridge. But! If you try the challenge, make it fun by allowing NO immigrants.
Bah! Build the bridge out of steel! That is what a real dwarf would do!
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 03:34:07 pm »

I thought of that. However, though dwarfy, when using wood and stone, I can double their use for carpenter and masons shops. There is no magma on this map and aquifiers.
Pages: [1] 2