Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The first time you tried Dwarf Fortress did you think that...  (Read 4721 times)

Keevu

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather be with trees.
    • View Profile
The first time you tried Dwarf Fortress did you think that...
« on: February 01, 2010, 02:37:58 am »

The first time you tried Dwarf Fortress did you think that you were supposed to play right after worldgen? I thought that I was supposed to walk around and the X was the character and I was supposed to build a fortress in the mountains lol. I thought I was too stupid to figure out the game after spending 15 minutes on the "Accept World" screen. So I gave up and waited a few months before I tried again. I eventually got it and I am so happy. This is probably my favorite game I have ever played.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The first time you tried Dwarf Fortress did you think that...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 02:50:42 am »

Nah.
That would've been one shitty game otherwise.

So I took the time to actually read the menu(something I still DON'T do today)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 02:57:53 am »

I thought that you give the order to build something (bed, statue, whatever) and a dwarf with the appropriate labour just walks over there with the building material and builds it on the spot.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 03:25:30 am »

I had no expectations going in, other than that the graphics were primitive, but modded. My friend simply said:

"Kobold artifact thieves captured, bred, their children slain, bones melted into tallow, tallow made into soap, cage made of soap for parents, parents magma'd and turned into obsidian, which was then carved into statues for the entrance."

...and I was sold. I RTFM, all of it, because I'm a good gamer, and I pray I never pick up another game without mouse support with that long of a manual. Learning keys + reading = graaaahhhh. But it was worth it.

I think I spent three hours just warming up to the game through the manual and world gen. I've never, ever given a game that much time to hook me, and have had games try their hardest and fail in a fraction of that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 04:33:01 am »

"What is this? What are those!? Where are my dwarves!? What's that supposed to be?! Screw this, this game is stupid."

Oh, to be young again.
This game has made me at least ten years older in six months.

coogiez

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 05:12:22 am »

You speak the truth, Ieb.
When i looked into that old mans eyes..
I saw what was once fire, the spark was there, but the glow..
His life.. slowly fading, i could see it.
the blood running away.

He didn't want to die, the sky was still blue.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 05:18:52 am »

When I first tried this game (and I mean the attempts which led to some first real actions and not staring and examining everything while reading wiki for hours) I haven't thought that it's possible to mod every stone, creature and item in the game :P. It was the most satisfying find.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 05:26:42 am »

I thought that you give the order to build something (bed, statue, whatever) and a dwarf with the appropriate labour just walks over there with the building material and builds it on the spot.

Almost every newbie does that, the "b" (build) command is actually "place", while you "build" the stuff in workshops. Would ease some misunderstandings.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

StrangeMood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 06:42:49 am »

When I first tried this game (and I mean the attempts which led to some first real actions and not staring and examining everything while reading wiki for hours) I haven't thought that it's possible to mod every stone, creature and item in the game :P. It was the most satisfying find.

Same here, without the Wiki I wouldn't have gotten into DF as much as I have now. It was my Bible at the time.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 06:53:14 am »

My first embark was on a snowy map, with a bottomless pit and a magma pipe. It took me ages to figure out how to dig down, and eventually I got to the bottom, where I made everyone try and cover the bottom of the bottomless pit (After thinking the tiles were actually walk-able.) until we ran out of food and water. Everyone went mad and killed each other.

I loved my first game.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 07:36:38 am »

I think the first time I played it, I got killed by a giant cave spider. I say 'I think' because I didn't know at the time what they were, but I am sure it was a big 'S', and all my dwarves got slaughtered. All the bits tie together.

The second one I embarked on a cave. Kobolds terrorised my camp, and all my dwarves as they left the fortress to go and pick up the chert crowns lying about all over the place.

During both of these, I had pretty much absolutely no idea what was going on, and also both embarks were done without reveal, sitefinder or anything.

I may have never had more interesting sites, I don't think. It was fun though (by both meanings of the word), and very fortunate. Got me interested in the game, but was happy once I figured out it was easier to embark on 'Calm' areas.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 07:56:41 am »

My first game I couldn't figure out how to change levels, so I tried to do everything on one level.  But my dwarves kept "disappearing" (AKA walking down a ramp to another level).  It made it kind of difficult to play.  When I figured out how to change levels, I managed to get everyone killed somehow.  I think it was lack of booze honestly.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 08:42:39 am »

My first game I couldn't figure out how to change levels, so I tried to do everything on one level.  But my dwarves kept "disappearing" (AKA walking down a ramp to another level).  It made it kind of difficult to play.
The same with me and the problem was further increased by my Scandinavian keyboard, in which the default up/down commands didn't work. Also, my very first site had next to no elevation differences so I was like: "Where I'm supposed to dig?" On my second map there was a cliff face so I happily dug into it. Then I made some stairs and spent a good dozen minutes trying to get down them. At some point I finally pressed esc and browsed the key bindings.

In Adventure mode I had the same problem with leaving Travel mode as > didn't work and it wasn't on the same page of the bindings the up/down commands were. I don't think I returned to Adventure mode until after many many weeks of Fort mode in a later version where I noticed "Enter site" when I was changing the bindings again.

If I'm not completely mistaken the 40d# versions finally fixed this problem.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 08:43:30 am »

I just played adventure mode. Dwarf Mode was kinda like O_O. A bit later though, I tried it and got a pretty bad looking fortress going. Then I just moved up from there.

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 08:47:27 am »

I just mindlessly followed the First Fortress tutorial on the wiki, with no idea what exactly it was that I was doing. After doing it a few more times I started to see the logic behind everything.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4