Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Procedural generation game you would love to see  (Read 2209 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
The Procedural generation game you would love to see
« on: February 01, 2010, 02:26:13 am »

For me, personally, I love exploration. I love wandering through abandoned buildings and decaying ruins, examining the various relics and debris of forgotten times. The PG game I envision is one of an PG space station, a space station so utterly massive in size that it would take literal days to cross from one side to the other. You are plonked down in this environment with only the task of survival and make your living amongst the empty halls and slow decay. I imagine sections of the ship slowly falling apart, bits breaking away and becoming unsafe to inhabit. Eventually the player must begin to actively work to keep the station functioning or may instead choose to run and hide from the degeneration, attempting to escape as long as possible. And as this is happening the station is drifting through space, with the chance of meeting other vessels as well as crashing upon planets or large asteroids.

I imagine the end of that poor survivor, the space station having crashed upon a airless world, it's reactor beginning to overload. He stands in the ankle deep dust of the unknown world, an alien sun reflected in his visor as the ship is consumed by light and heat. It's a sort of melancholy beauty.

The station and all the items on it along with the space it's drifting through would be PG.

Now, what about you?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Procedural generation game you would love to see
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 03:25:43 am »

You might not know a guy named Derakon, he was working on this game:

http://jetbladeproject.blogspot.com/

I would love to see it completed, but it would appear he's abandoned it. I am very sad.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 03:53:40 am »

Something along the lines of Borderlands.
But you've got multiple planets.
Every planet is procedurally generated with a procedurally generated questline (as in series of quests, not just a bunch of random kill x monster crap).
Also, there are varying tech levels, so one planet might be full of energy weapons and the next has nothin' but swords.
And with more available options for the procedurally generated weapons than Borderlands.
Instead of 6 options for 6 parts, 20 options for the main parts and however many accessories you can cram onto it.
Also, incredibly in-depth character creator, also with a random setting so you can have procedurally generated characters.
And the characters have procedurally generated skill sets based on a set of given preferences.
If you say you like sneaking up on people, it's more likely to generate skills based on stealth.

You start out on one of the level IV planets (tech level four, that means spaceships and ballistics).
This one is less procedurally generated than the others.
You start out as a nobody with a gun and decide to make a name for yourself.
It's your choice whether that's mercenary, law enforcement, pilot, whatever.
Either way, you end up helping one of the two factions on the planet, either the government or the pirates, and eventually get a simple spaceship that you use to fly around the procedurally generated universe.
Factions are also procedurally generated, but the starting planet always has the government and pirates.

Think of the possibilities...
You could spend your whole life playing this thing.
Also, you can co-op with a small group of people.
There's also modding, but everybody who's co-oping with you needs to have the same stuff.
Say you create an accessory for your gun that projects a small forcefield, then your buddies need to have that also, otherwise the game will crash.
And you can craft stuff too.
Say you loot this gun with a really nice scope and a long barrel, but sucky everything else.
You can dismantle it and rebuild it with better parts.
Repairs too.
Gotta keep that equipment in top shape if you don't want to die.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 04:07:22 am »

I remember a thread with rumors about the Toady One starting work on a spaceship/station game. It was (unfortunate but maybe fortunately for the future of DF) just a rumor. But it really caught my imagination.

The idea was building a ship that would take you through vacuum much like you build an above ground fortress in Fortress Mode. Then you would take the ship(possibly of very unorthodox geometry) and fly it trough space while remaining in fort mode view. While traveling the crew would have to fight mishaps that occur on the ship. The higher goal would be trading and scavenging hulks to get materials to further expand your ship.

However once space combat came to be the concept would be similar to your idea. Shots fired by enemy installations and ships would blow away parts of your ship, causing all sorts of mishaps to the crew. A well designed ship would need to have a silo(floodgate) system that would let the crew inside survive should a section get exposed to vacuum.

I would love to maybe one day play a game like that.
I personally found the concept very enthralling.

Oh yeah... Of course the universe and shape of enemy ships would be procedurally generated. :P
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:13:20 am by Toady Two »

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 05:53:36 pm »

I love complex systems.

a simulation of an entire watershed. I would be able to add soil and take away soil and watch everything erode.
The great game of Warlocks!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 06:51:57 pm »

Quote from: ein

No, this is the FUTURE!

Rather than crashing on incompatible mods, it would give a warning when trying to join and either download the missing mods or prevent you from joining.

As for the PG space station, sounds interesting!
Almost good enough that I would want to make it.
Eh?
Eh!

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 08:02:53 pm »

Hardcore survival game with decent action/pace. Like a sandbox L4D2 with procedurally generated maps (and some more types of supplies like food/water, building materials, and the "director" in the game or whatever they called it is intelligently sparse about dropping supplies as to enhance and maintain the edge-of-your-seat). Oh! And weapons that wear down like in System Shock 2.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:05:35 pm by Idiom »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 09:12:43 pm »

I second that survival game.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 09:15:22 pm »

It's not everything you're looking for, but there's Zomband, which is a zombie survival roguelike where you have to make your way across town, eating, drinking, resting, and surviving.  Late in the game you start approaching Dead Rising levels of zombies and I don't know how you can manage that.  I've never made it more than half/a quarter of a mile.
Shoes...

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 09:32:33 pm »

It's not everything you're looking for, but there's Zomband, which is a zombie survival roguelike where you have to make your way across town, eating, drinking, resting, and surviving.  Late in the game you start approaching Dead Rising levels of zombies and I don't know how you can manage that.  I've never made it more than half/a quarter of a mile.
Again, something with a good action and pace. L4D2 had about what I want in a zombie shooter for pace. If it was combined with free roaming (and a good map so you can plan your route), procedurally generated maps for replay (else even sandboxing the same custom routes gets old), raiding/scavenging buildings for supplies (rather than tripping over supplies, plus planning raids is fun), the "director" was intelligent enough to always keep you down to your last couple of magazines, guns wore down (in SS2, this was part of the functional horror element to the game), possibly slightly randomized guns like in borderlands (on top of the guns that wear down and break, every weapon you find would be even more Unique with a capital "U"), and maintained the heavy emphasis on cooperative survival... I would never see the light of day outside my house again.

Oh! And building supplies to bunker up in your own safehouses. And a need for food/water to force you to actually go out of safety and scavenge/migrate.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 01:54:06 am »

Thanks for steering me towards this Cthulhu. I checked this out and it's alot of fun. I thought it was going to be hard from the way you described it, but I beat it in my first try. It's very simple, and once I picked up the controls, I was breezing through it.

Not to say it's easy though, I had to stay on my toes, and I severely underestimated some of the enemies.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 03:41:32 am »

Procedurally generated meta-game! Before you start the game you do not know if it will be RTS or top-down shooter (or on rare ocasions Tetris), theme (SF, WWII, Fantasy, etc), story, maps, music, everything randomely chosen or procedurally generated. Ha!

At the sub-discusion on Zombland - I acgree with JoshuaFM - finally a game with zombies that covers "rise of the hero". Sadly it needs much work to be really great.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 01:02:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure you've all heard of it, but if not

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_the_quest_for_earth

probably the most beautiful use of PG I've seen

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 04:29:00 pm »

An MMORPG.

Player 1: "My map says the left passage leads to the treasure."
Player 2: "Left passage? What left passage? There's only a ladder here!"
Player 1: "There is a left passage! Look, watch me go there."
Player 2: "HAX"
Player 3: "S> GOLD! $10 for 100!"

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 04:59:29 pm »

A 3D roguelike.

Not X, Y, and Z, but X, Y, and map generation seed.

You can increment or decrement the seed, but not where you would end up in a wall. the stairs simply jump 100 seeds up or down, and move you to the matching stair.
Eh?
Eh!
Pages: [1] 2