Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Dolphins!  (Read 1171 times)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Magma Dolphins!
« on: January 31, 2010, 09:45:14 pm »

So I was watching a YouTube playthrough of Kaizo Mario, expecting nothing DF-related but lots of Fun with a capital F, as in "FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU--". Then I saw it. The most awesome creature ever to have been witnessed by man. I direct you to the...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpJr2sJmFOY&feature=related

...magma dolphin! Seriously, how awesome isn't this?!

(OK, so maybe this isn't intended as a very serious suggestion, but I just had to share it, and who knows, it might be an idea to build upon for some. And hey, why not have fish-like creatures swim around in the magma?).
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Dolphins!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:17:52 am »

I think the metroid games also had a bit of diversity when it came to magma creatures.  Of course, the problem is, most creatures that involve magma tend to be extremely dangerous or potentially dangerous, like fire snakes.  Maybe there could be fishable creatures in magma pipes that could be eaten, or used with reagents for the magic arc.  Or maybe the bones of those creatures could have increased wealth or cause fire damage on strike?  Easy way to burn down the world, I'd say  ;)  Of course, you'd probably need a magma proof fishing pole :) 

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 12:30:58 am »

Steel works for the fishing pole. As for the creatures, I wonder what happens when Urist gets a really big one on the line... *dwarf melted fat spatter*  Speaking of which, realistically, even steel would melt if you stuck wire made from it in magma.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 12:39:13 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 12:39:32 am »

You would need to weave an adamantine fishing line, since it's the only metal you can make cloth from and is fireproof.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 12:57:10 am »

You would need to weave an adamantine fishing line, since it's the only metal you can make cloth from and is fireproof.

I wonder how on earth one could do that with a metal that's completely inflexible... The new raws confuse me  :-X
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 01:14:53 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 01:27:32 am »

No, you just strain the entire magma pipe through a series of steel grates, then turn off the pumps, walk over there and get the dolphins.  Psh.  Fishing line.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 02:01:16 am »

No, you just strain the entire magma pipe through a series of steel grates, then turn off the pumps, walk over there and get the dolphins.  Psh.  Fishing line.
Well said good sir  :D

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 01:52:36 pm »

For those of you who value your time too much to watch a 20 minute let's play of "Asshole Mario":
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The ability to breathe in lava should be conferred of all fire mutants, so that water dwelling creatures that can no longer survive the cooling effects of liquid water have somewhere to swim. That way we get everything from magma fish to magma seaweed, in one fell swoop.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 02:52:30 pm »

I'd only support Magma Dolphins in the situation that Toady codes in the ability for swimming creatures to splash the liquid they swim in when they jump at the surface of the liquid.  Think the splash zone seating at dolphinariums, and replace the water with magma.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 04:35:26 pm »

Why bother with Magma Dolphins when you could create Magma Carp?
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 08:07:59 pm »

Given how important Magma is to the game I wouldn't mind there being more of an fantasy ecology involved.

Magma Dolphins however... No... That is just lame.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 08:22:07 pm »

I wonder how on earth one could do that with a metal that's completely inflexible... The new raws confuse me  :-X

It's like glass.  Only stronger.  Inflexible except when hot or drawn into a fiber.

On topic, with the sort of things that could be in magma, a chain-link net might be more effective.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 08:55:40 pm »

It's like glass.  Only stronger.  Inflexible except when hot or drawn into a fiber.

On topic, with the sort of things that could be in magma, a chain-link net might be more effective.

That's what I thought.

I wonder if the build time for chain-link items will be changed sometime, they take quite awhile to make IRL.

Sagabal

• Bay Watcher
  • Komrade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 11:02:08 pm »

Personally I prefer Sir Ron the FANTASTIC SUPER ULTRA OMEGA let's player:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMDoWZ53Grc