Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McRedshirt, Ensign, has been stuck down!  (Read 1389 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Urist McRedshirt, Ensign, has been stuck down!
« on: January 31, 2010, 01:14:02 pm »

In my 10 year fortress, I've experienced only a handful of deaths to various things, from idiot dwarves walling themselves off to collapsing an entire floor with them still standing on it, and now getting incinerated by a Dragon. Here's the strange thing, though. All the dwarves that have died so far have all been dwarves who didn't have any relationships in the fortress past "Passing Acquaintance".  The Dragon blew right past mothers, children, babies, and fathers, burned down a few workshops, only to kill the red shirts of the fortress.

Has anyone else experienced this anomaly?
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McRedshirt, Ensign, has been stuck down!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 01:17:05 pm »

Nein, mostly a person with lots of friends die along with all the aforementioned friends :D (i.e. everybody)

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 01:56:26 pm »

I do.
My dwarves are either highly unsocial because of them getting no time to socialize (and there being gigantic dining halls), or I use the ones without friends in military and the likes.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 02:02:31 pm »

Same. I've noticed that the only dwarves with friends and family are in the Fortress Guard or Champions in the military, and they end up being the best able to defend themselves whenever there is a perimeter breach. The guys who die tend to be the hunters, fishers, and woodcutters who spend all their time by themselves out in the wilderness before getting ambushed, and the lowlife immigrants with no friends who rush out to steal the socks of the dead, and subsequently get ambushed.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 05:21:08 pm »

I doubt it's something deliberate, but since socializing is a good stat raiser, more social dwarves should tend to die less often then anti-social, and thus generally lower-skilled ones.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

lem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 09:27:42 pm »

Yeah, in my current fortress I've had three deaths, all hunters-- and all totally friendless, since all they do is run around hunting stuff in the frigid outdoors. Not a blink of an eye from anyone else. Total redshirt scenario.

However, this means that half my engravings are of wolves and bears eating dwarves. cool cool.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 02:12:51 am »

In my 10 year fortress, I've experienced only a handful of deaths to various things, from idiot dwarves walling themselves off to collapsing an entire floor with them still standing on it, and now getting incinerated by a Dragon. Here's the strange thing, though. All the dwarves that have died so far have all been dwarves who didn't have any relationships in the fortress past "Passing Acquaintance".  The Dragon blew right past mothers, children, babies, and fathers, burned down a few workshops, only to kill the red shirts of the fortress.

Has anyone else experienced this anomaly?

Yes I have, but strangely only in the fort I christened "Enterprise."
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 04:01:45 am »

o_o!

Modding in Klingons in 3... 2... 1...
Also,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 04:28:53 am »

goblin equals....... dominion?
human equals humans , right?

all my hunters have grudges against everybody

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 07:14:59 am »

Gobs are totally the borg, assimilating other races!
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 01:00:56 pm »

I nicknamed most of my dwarfs after Star Trek characters because those names are more recognizable and memorable to me (I say most because I ran out of names after about 70 dwarfs so I expanded it to include Star Wars, Futurama and Doctor Who characters).

Sometimes I temporarily recruit a sacrificial peasant to a suicide squad to lure invaders to where I want them to go. For obvious reasons these recruits rarely survive their first away missions. From now on they shall be named Ensign Redshirt. Maybe I'll even make a special tomb for Redshirts who died for the greater good of the fortress.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 03:06:00 pm »

How many of your dwarves are Zoidbergs?

How many of the Zoidbergs are nobles?

How many of the Zoidbergs are peasants with no labor skills activated outside of the default stuff?

And what would Kobolds be in the Star Trek universe? I've never really sat down and watched the series, so I wouldn't know.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 04:45:56 pm »

I only have one of each name. So there is one Zoidberg and in the current fort he is a lowly fish dissector. They get named randomly as they migrate except for the miners who are all named after captains of the different Trek series.

My previous Zoidberg was a hunter and he was killed almost immediately after being named before I could even train a hunting dog for him.

EDIT: Kobolds would probably be Romulans if you go by TNG canon or Klingons from the original series. If they traded with you they could possibly be Ferrengi as they are scoundrels and thieves.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:48:11 pm by tastypaste »
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 02:54:49 am »

I've had 5 redshirts in my forts which were requested by a friend I told about dwarf fortress. I renamed a whole family to (Name) Redshirt, and took note of their activities and how they die.

There were also small bets about how/when they would die, magma and goblins were a favorite, but I couldn't help but think the game was on to me, every single redshirt was antisocial, careful, never wants to try anything new, and in their likes was always a sort of armour, and 3 of them had a liking for steel.

The first lasted 1 season, the rest 2 seasons, there was one more left, and all he did was cower in his room whenever he wasn't working. Their deaths were all the kind that could have easily been avoided if dwarves wouldn't be so stupid dwarven. (Amongst the deaths, standing on the wrong side of a deconstruction, hunter targeting a fire imp, trying to drink from a carp river, trying to grab a dead dwarf during a siege, and the last tantrummed, deconstructing a bridge he was standing on over a 5z gap going to the dining room, he survived with 2 red lungs, and lasted just long enough to get carried to a bed(And for me to assign a tomb).
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 06:05:50 am »

i think the bronze colosi are the borg
name your starters after the captains(captain pau-dontknowwhat for example)
"lower your fortress and surrender your gates-wait , what?"

anyways , my hunters all just died by trying to punch a deer , good times