Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: IQs and associated Fears.  (Read 4764 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: IQs and associated Fears.
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2010, 11:03:44 am »

Alright, I think we all agree that IQ tests are retarded.

Anyway, isn't there still a correlation between intellect and fears though? Like, kind of like how Nikola Tesla was afraid of all sorts of stuff, all of which escape me at the moment.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2010, 11:07:12 am »

The mind is interesting.

IQ tests do have to be more standardized, as the last one I took was logic mixed with general knowledge. I did amazing on logic, but my general knowledge wasn't too great for a third grader.

There is a culture gap to IQ tests. I'm not sure if it's the same one as the one that stirred up the whole 'Algebra is racist' argument. (I think it has to do with teaching algebra with only a western background for the great thinkers)
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 11:26:14 am »

I have really bad handwriting, apparently I hold my pen like a left handed person even though I'm right handed, I'm not even sure what that means. Any attempts to make me hold my pen correctly end badly as it just makes my handwriting even worse.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010, 11:29:52 am »

I have pretty atrocious writing as well.

I used to write everything in cursive, but then I decided I'd just focus on legibility instead of speed, and so I returned to writing everything in print, and focus on forming the individual letters.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2010, 11:31:14 am »

Also the SAT isn't an intelligence test at all, it's even in the name: "Scholastic aptitude." Skills for doing well in school. There's tons and tons of knowledge questions on it as well.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2010, 05:19:31 pm »

Seems to be a lot of bad hand writing here. I ain't the best either, and I was put in special out of class times with another teacher, who basically insisted on holding me back because I wasn't doing well with English.

Mind you, I was going to a Gaelic speaking school, and because I was being kept back from Gaelic I fell behind on my maths and gaelic writing and speaking. It wasn't until the last year of primary school that I was allowed to show my worth, I basically excelled in everything English and Gaelic, maths, reading and writing.

Still, primary school was a completely traumatic event for me (educationally at least). I was then forced to do Gaelic in highschool (missing out on some pretty important maths and english classes), which in turn I ended up in the lowest classes for my first and second year in high school. And this repeated itself until Uni, where I ended up getting 2 B's for classes I hardly tried for.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2010, 05:27:07 pm »

I also have HORRIBLE Handwriting, but since i started to print, it's getting better, and i'm writing faster, and i don't detest writing as much as originally,

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2010, 05:53:27 pm »

My handwriting isn't good either. Mostly, it is quite strange, but some teachers say that at least it is constant, which makes it possible to read. But it is a matter of tastes, and it is more or less the same handwriting I had a couple years after I learned how to write... which means I stopped growing at the ripe age of 8.

So, what is up with everybody here writing badly?

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2010, 05:58:00 pm »

Alright, I think we all agree that IQ tests are retarded.

Anyway, isn't there still a correlation between intellect and fears though? Like, kind of like how Nikola Tesla was afraid of all sorts of stuff, all of which escape me at the moment.

I would think it more that the intelligent man is more aware of the things that need to be feared and can name them better. Ignorance is bliss, and all.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2010, 06:05:33 pm »

My handwriting is horrible, and declining with age it seems. I completely forgot the cursive they taught us (made evident by the part of the SAT where they make you write the "I won't cheat" message in cursive on the back) and my print is pretty bad. If I don't type, my writing is nearly illegible. The fact that I only write in pen compounds that issue, since it means half the paper is scribbled out :)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2010, 06:10:09 pm »

IQ tests are mostly bullshit. Especially those where they hand out score higher than 145 while still using the standard 15 point deviation. I am not going to rant this time, but most egregious in this affront to statistics is MENSA. MENSA says my IQ is 182, sane IQ tests showed 143.

On bad handwriting: I have that to. My father, also quite bright had dyslexia, he could barely read but was certified to maintain nuclear launch facilities and cold war early launch warning radar. I have dysgraphia, I can read just fine, but when I go to push information out it gets bogged down and garbled. It affects my handwriting most, followed by typing, then speech. Fortunately there is a backspace key on computers or you guys would have no idea what I am saying here.

When I write, sometimes the words come out of order, backwards, upside down and sometimes sideways. They always look like chicken scratch. Some words I have standards for, for instance "The". Most people write it: T -> Th -> The. Not me, it is usually:  T -> T e -> The. Anecdotally, it seems rather common among intelligent people to have some kind of "I/O" issue. Why? I have no idea. Maybe we just are not normal.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2010, 06:25:25 pm »

The only thing IQ tests can definitively measure from me is what time it is and how much sleep I've had.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2010, 06:33:31 pm »

It's generally easy to sort the intelligent people from the non-intelligent people by just speaking with them.

Though, sometimes, that dosent work.

When i talk to people i will either confuse them with random bullshit and facts about the matter at hand, or, more recently, i will sound retarded due to NOT trying to sound condescending or aloof or anything similar.

Also: There's one guy who keeps telling everyone who uses a three-syllable word or greater "Stop being like [DATA EXPUNGED], which is me, as he is both;

An idiot

Hates me

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2010, 02:38:51 am »

Also the SAT isn't an intelligence test at all, it's even in the name: "Scholastic aptitude." Skills for doing well in school. There's tons and tons of knowledge questions on it as well.

There's two types of SAT, I forgot the names. The main part is nearly identical to an IQ test; there's even ways to calculate your IQ from it. Just doesn't test visual stuff.

Then there's the SAT subject tests, which do test knowledge. They're graded separately, and different colleges accept them as different tests.

The keyword is "aptitude". It's just a guess at how well you'll do in college. I think they realized later with the SAT II that it's better to guess it from knowledge. Also note that colleges don't take the SAT too seriously; there are a few in MIT who did poorly in it. Then again, as a psychologist said, if you're intelligent, you'll do well in everything, no matter how bad the test is.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 04:06:19 am by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2010, 03:27:42 am »

There's two types of SAT, I forgot the names. The main part is nearly identical to an IQ test; there's even ways to calculate your IQ from it. Just doesn't test visual stuff.

Then there's the SAT subject tests, which do test knowledge. They're graded separately, and different colleges accept them as different tests.

Thank you.  I was going to bring this up, but then I was too lazy/couldn't remember the reference.  SAT I is an IQ test.  SAT II is a rote knowledge test.  This makes sense because the SAT I and IQ tests were both created to test reasoning and, hence, probability to achieve in academic situations.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5