Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: IQs and associated Fears.  (Read 4769 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: IQs and associated Fears.
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 06:17:10 pm »

I blame vidjyagames.

Heresy! Burn him!
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 06:28:28 pm »

I was in gifted education during my wee years, so I'm definately up there. There's a disproportionate amount of intelligence in people who play DF, as it's a game of mind expansion and problem-solving.

I'm not sure how old you are, but the gifted education put me in a different social clique with other gifted children, and kind of made it challenging to meet other people. If you really fear this, just make sure you get out and meet people instead of being inside doing things by yourself.

Intelligence doesn't affect you socially unless you either grow to not like the general public, or you distance yourself from them to the point they don't like you.

Don't yell "Freebird!" at a rap concert, and you'll be alright
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 06:32:30 pm »

Don't yell "Freebird!" in general, unless you're doing it ironically.

My school had a gifted program, but I was only in it third and fourth grade.  Third grade it was at a separate place, a Church near my school, and I went there all day on either Wednesdays or Fridays, I can't remember which.  Fourth grade budget cuts meant we only met for an hour or so, and we met at the school.  Further budget cuts meant that was the last of the gifted program.  My old school has continually had levies fail, but they've finally gone too far with it and the school's going under state control, which means everything gets cut.

Everything.  No music, probably no sports, no art, nothing.  It's a sad state of affairs.
Shoes...

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 06:40:50 pm »

I probably have a really low IQ. Im not a very quick thinker. Maybe one day if I do lots of boring math Ill make a 100 on an IQ test.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 06:42:37 pm »

I wonder what Reasonable Man's is
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 07:25:49 pm »

IQ means nothing.

It's a pointless waste of time, it does not take into account any factors at all, and dosent test a wide enough range of items.

I'm not supportive of them.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 07:38:10 pm »

You must have a low IQ.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 07:45:52 pm »

I havent had it tested.

I don't like being rated.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 07:49:17 pm »

I havent had it tested.

I don't like being rated.

Yeah, neither have I. And I agree with you that they're just stupid ways of catagorising people.

Intelligence is a relative thing, and we should treat it as such. There should be an IQ test for everything, and there'll be no time for anyone to do anything other than be tested. And we could the all have a good time having a test to see if you can pass a test that you can pass a test that means that you can pass the first test.

Yeah, I just confused myself...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 08:41:21 pm »

Bay12 seems like a place full of intelligent people -- and yes, I understand that IQ =/= Intelligence -- and I'm interested in learning a bit more about the people in it. So. What's your IQ? Are you frightened that if you tell others your IQ, you'll be judged? Are you scared to get your IQ tested in case you disappoint yourself? Et cetera.

No idea.  I was tested once and never told the results, though I hear that the SAT is actually an IQ test of sorts.  In that case, 2300/2400 without studying.

The truth is, I don't like the atmosphere often caused be demonstration of intelligence.  People will often say things like "Well, if you're so smart, why can't you do x, y, or z?"  Mostly, I don't trust it as a perfect calibration device.  If I don't do well on a certain test, then I can't feel too bad about myself.  A test is a test.  Wouldn't it be better to pass the test of maturity (i.e., being able to simply be oneself without the consolation of a large number to identify one's intellect) than the obviously flawed test of intelligence?

Did you know that these tests were an invention of the American army during WW1 to split the masses to grunts and officers?

Actually, they were initially invented by Alfred Binet to test French schoolchildren and find which ones of them needed extra help.  Then eugenicists attempted to adapt them to measures of intelligence (rather than just "current skill level"), with the idea that they'd calibrate them on the US army (Yerkes) and immigrants at Angel Island (Goddard, IIRC).

The result?  ">80% of all Russians are feeble-minded (i.e. retarded)."  Way to go, dudes >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 08:50:02 pm »

intelligence tests would work if everybody had a common environment and starting place.  Because then they would measure how well you were able to extract the kind of knowledge they were testing for, from that environment.
The great game of Warlocks!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 11:51:14 pm »

Better yet, they used to give the intelligence tests in written English and  then score people as retarded if they were illiterate/didn't know English

or they'd have questions like "What product do Smith and Wesson manufacture" and many others like that
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 11:59:04 pm »

I was in special education for two years in middle school due to my atrocious handwriting. Seemingly I was left handed, then at some point either switched hands or was forced to switch hands by some crazy teacher.

I did take a internet IQ test at the age of 12, but all I can remember is being bummed out by the results.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 12:03:29 am »

I was in special education for two years in middle school due to my atrocious handwriting.

^ I've been put in two classes for deaf children, and was sent off to learn sign language.  I am not at all deaf.  This has confused me for years.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 10:24:28 am »

I was also in special education for my handwriting!  I was always left-handed, but my handwriting was so bad they still made me do it.  What's weird is they discovered that I unconsciously spin the pencil while I write.  Between every word I give the pencil a quarter turn.  Until they put a mark on the pencil to prove it I didn't even realize I was doing it.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5