Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: IQs and associated Fears.  (Read 4767 times)

Dependent

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps if I post one more time...
    • View Profile
IQs and associated Fears.
« on: January 31, 2010, 12:44:33 pm »

What's your IQ?
Personally, I've never taken an IQ test. I'm frightened that it will be below what's expected of me, or high enough to make me socially awkward around those that matter to me. One of my greatest fears is 'not fitting in', and I'm far too worried about my social status to ever get my IQ checked - at least not until I'm older.
Bay12 seems like a place full of intelligent people -- and yes, I understand that IQ =/= Intelligence -- and I'm interested in learning a bit more about the people in it. So. What's your IQ? Are you frightened that if you tell others your IQ, you'll be judged? Are you scared to get your IQ tested in case you disappoint yourself? Et cetera.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: IQs and associated Fears.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 12:47:43 pm »

Last time I took an IQ test was back in school, I've forgotten what I got but it was apparently the highest in my year so I guess it must have been good.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 12:56:05 pm »

Mine is high. It's always been really high. I got somewhere like 160 when I was a child, then it dropped to like 130+ average now. I got accepted as a member of some high IQ society, because of good linguistics IQ or something.

IMO, it means nothing. I think IQ is the way for the people who design IQ tests to look smart. Interestingly, the SAT in the US is designed very much like an IQ test. You can actually study for an IQ test and get a better result. Hell, you can even cram for them. I find a LOT of flaws, even in "oficially recognized ones". The best way to score in one is to think exactly like the person who developed the test.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 01:06:47 pm »

Mine's 120 somethin, I forgot the actual number. Took the test a couple years ago.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 01:16:53 pm »

I took one in second grade and got 148.  I haven't taken an official one since then, though.
Shoes...

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 01:41:21 pm »

I've never taken a real one but I have taken college coursework which made me realize that the notion of an IQ is a crock and intelligence testing isn't going to be meaningful until it's refined to a point where our current intelligence tests look like flinging poo around a monkey cage by comparison.

Incidentally, if I did take one, I'd probably kick ass on it.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 03:41:37 pm »

IQ tests are extremely inaccurate. I wouldn't bother with them.

Also I don't know of any except that online test that won't tell you your results.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 04:40:11 pm »

I have never taken an IQ test. I tend to think intelligence is hard to quantify. If someone gave me a difficult math test right now I would probably do very badly because I hardly ever use math, the only time I do is when I'm calculating tips or taxes which very simple math. Yet if you gave me one night to study material for this math test I could ace it. Yet I wouldn't consider myself more intelligent than I was before, just more knowledgeable.

Is a mathematician more intelligent than a composer? Is a playwright more creative than a scientist? I don't think so, they are simply creative and intelligent in different ways. 

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 04:55:19 pm »

I only made an online one.
For fun, I didn't expect to get any accurate or meaningful result.

What does it matter anyway?
I want people to like me for who I am and not for some made up number.

Anyway, if people arround you care for such things, you're probably surrounding yourself with the wrong kind of people.
No offense.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 05:00:23 pm »

It's been recently studied, IQ tests, i mean. They are actually fairly Inaccurate, there's the new type, RQ tests though (Reasoning quotient, i believe) Which are believed to be more accurate.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 05:03:11 pm »

Basically, the more specific you get the more accurately you can measure an ability, but of course that conflicts with mushing everything together into one or two numbers, which people have some weird obsession with. Of course, evolutionary theory says that we should expect many, many, highly specific abilities and should not expect them to lump nicely together, which tosses basically all intelligence tests (if not all intelligence testing related theory) out the window.

Oh Jesus

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 05:04:16 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do'h.  I was one point off.

Test says I'm a genius.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 05:09:23 pm »

Did you know that these tests were an invention of the American army during WW1 to split the masses to grunts and officers?

And that web based IQ tests are even more redundant than normal ones? They don't include anything to do with spatial orientation or physical based thinking at all.

I'm still a believer in the only thing that IQ tests do is tell you how good you are at taking them.

Edit: Damn, I suck at writing coherant posts.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 05:11:01 pm by Nilocy »

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 05:10:54 pm »

Yeah, any IQ test on the internet is even more of a crock than real ones.

Oh Jesus

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 05:30:30 pm »

I got 106 on the test Toonyman linked.  Around 20 I got tired of it and started guessing on questions that required a modicum of thought, so that probably hurt it.  Of course, maybe that guessing means I got dumber...

Hmm...

I blame vidjyagames.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5