Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Money Sinks  (Read 3726 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Money Sinks
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 11:57:38 pm »

I'm cheap, I don't spend much on vidjas. But I get first dibs on $2 PS2 games from work. Lots of good PS2 games out there. Playing the Metal Gears and FFXII. Should keep me busy for a while.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 12:04:30 am »

Meh... about 6 months ago I was spending just under 100 a month on UO accounts alone. Add in about 50 (one new game) each month (sometimes more, sometimes less, though) and I averaged 150 a month on games...

80 is nothing :'(

After a quick look at the numbers, I spent ~130 last month on games.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 12:57:02 am »

Jeez...  I fluctuate between extremely tight-fisted and itching-to-spend, but the former usually beats the latter into submission and ties it to a chair in the back of my mind, so it rarely gets out.
Shoes...

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 01:30:39 am »

I once spent much more than 80$ USD per month, now I am down to 100$ a year. Just pick one game to buy in a year and save one more slot for the rest of the year to get a must have. Play your old games and free games to pass the time, it will save you money in the long run.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 01:38:54 am »

I havent acctually bought a video game in ages!

Its insane the amount of money I save.

Synzig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 01:48:41 am »

I have something of a.. problem.. with buying games on Steam.  I tend to buy two or three games a week.  It's fringing on addiction, now that I think about it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 01:51:39 am »

1:  Where are you getting all that money?  I hope you've got an awesome job and you're not spending your parents' money

2.  How do you go through two or three games a week?  Most games keep me occupied for at least a week, more if it's really good.
Shoes...

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 02:09:56 am »

I mostly play free games, like Nethack and DF and Aurora, but I do buy games on occasion. I mostly buy games after they've been out for a while, although I have some small developers that I like supporting so I buy their titles as they come out. Kerberos Productions is one example, I have all their SOTS series and their newer Fort Zombie game. I also intend to buy the next Mount & Blade game when it comes out. Several other small time devs that I'm keeping an eye on, like Iron Tower Studio. Most of the games that I really love come from individuals or small development studios.

There are a few exceptions. I bought lots of Bioware games like Baldur's Gate (1 & 2), SWKOTOR (1 & 2), and the NWN games (also 1 & 2). Also bought lots of different MMOs over the years (mostly the competitive PvP ones like shadowbane, never was much for the treadmill of infinity that was EQ and is now WoW), but I usually got them cheap and just paid monthly fees until I got sick of them.

It's rare that I see a game come out that I actually think I'll like, and the big titles I usually wait until they hit the bargain bins. My last game purchase was Fort Zombie, which was $10 (that was the release price, though) and before that I bought Dungeon Siege, which I got for $10 solely for the purpose of playing an old Ultima game remake.

I think those are the only two I've even bought in the last 5 months or so - so I guess my recent monthly spending is somewhere around four bucks. Although if all the indie developers I'm watching suddenly released at once I'd probably grab them all over a few week period and go way above that :D
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 02:43:17 am »

I used to spend alot of money on games too... Fortunately I found out that I love free/indie games and steam sales. Pretty much anything on the PC usually has a good deal sometime. Of course you can always find ways to obtain these if you don't care about legality (you make video game devs cry!).

Sometimes I want console games (usually when it can't run on my PC like Mass Effect...my PC is crap) so I use swaptree to legally obtain these goodies for slightly older games.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 05:33:51 am »

I don't buy games that much anymore...iunno, I just can't find any good ones anymore.

This.
And the good ones left rarely cost more than 15€.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 06:52:39 am »

2.  How do you go through two or three games a week?  Most games keep me occupied for at least a week, more if it's really good.

It's very possible to go through two or three games per week. Most commercial games are crap. Indie games can be much, much worse; $20-30 for something that lasts 4 hours (like Democracy 2). This perception of crap is relative to the amount of money I spend on them to how much I have fun.

I could spend $10 on two movie ticket and have a great 3 hours with someone I like, or I could spend $30-$50 on a game, spend 20 minutes figuring it, 3 hours getting addicted (not really having fun, just trying to win), and 7 hours still addicted, trying to win and see the next part of the story/cutscene/unlockable. Most games are exactly the same in the first 50 hours as they are in the first 10 hours, so it's a waste of time playing it after you've mastered those first 10 hours.

I can say that there are very, very few games worth what I pay. Fighting games are OK, Avernum/Fallout/BG/Civilizations is worth it, Total War/Dominions is nice, albeit a bit overpriced.. and some sports games rip you off every year, but it's worth it when you have friends who are sports freaks.

I think buying games has been a huge waste of money, and there's only a handful which I'm happy I paid for. I don't even bother owning a gaming PC over the past 2 years, because heck, the best stuff out there barely have graphics.

One game can last for years if it's good enough, but a bad game can barely last a few days. It's easy to go through a few of them, esp. once you get tricked by the games media & fanboys.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Redd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 06:57:20 am »

How much do you spend on video games monthly?
£2.50, which is the £30 I spend on a game for my nephew at Christmas every year divided by 12.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 07:01:24 am »

... nothing in the last years, actually. It's all either freebie or bay, and lately not even that, I just revisit old games (when I actually have time, that is). I dont have the hardware for new games anyway, and for the most part I dont have the inclination either. The only upcoming game I'm vaguely interested in (and I wont be able to play it anyway) is Diablo 3.

The last one I actually bought was Medieval: TotalWar+Viking Invasion, 2-3 years ago.

As a sidenote: of the games I've bought, the ones I enjoyed and revisited the most were almost all bargain bin purchases. The only ones which I got straight off the shelf &actually enoyed a lot over the years, were blizzard's (Diablo2+expansion, Starcraft, Warcraft 3). I still have SC and WC3 installed. THe only reason I removed Diablo 2 is that I was wasting too much time in it.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:14:03 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2010, 07:11:13 am »

Well, about 30$ in 6-7 months... Because as it's been said I don't find more good games to buy. Those which I don't want to buy I download from internet.

But I spend your 80$+ and more on my car, motorbike and movies/concerts, so I think it equals :P. I spend about 1/3 of my total earnings on myself, I am an egocentric person hehe.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2010, 07:15:06 am »

Hey OP, do you have a large income?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5