Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Money Sinks  (Read 3718 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Money Sinks
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2010, 02:11:47 am »

I get 80 USD a month in terms of allowance-Wich is why i'm going to be kept on limiting it to that.

You probably get told this all the time, but you're incredibly lucky.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2010, 02:30:07 am »

During the steam holiday insanity I bought:
Mass Effect
Rome: Total War gold
Medieval 2: Total War
Overlord
Overlord Raising Hell
Overlord 2
Portal
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Civ4
Civ4: beyond the sword
Civ4: warlords
Civ4: Colonization
Shattered Horizon

All for less than 50 USD I believe. That sale was crazy.

Wait, wait.. do you mean ALL for $50 or EACH for $50?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2010, 03:14:55 am »

I presume each. $50 for those games altogether wouldn't be likely unless you know someone in the business.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2010, 03:38:05 am »

I meant for all put together, that sale was pure insanity. I just tallied my receipts just to confirm and it came up to €49,80 which is about $70. Forgot the currency issue, so I was correct on the sum but wrong on the currency. But $70 still is pretty insane for that bundle of games. I also got Empire: TW as a christmas gift just to top it off.

EDIT: The cost breakdown:
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl  1,99 EUR
Rome: Total War Gold  2,49 EUR
Medieval II: Total War (ROW)  2,49 EUR
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition  13,60 EUR
Overlord Complete Pack  17,49 EUR
Shattered Horizon  4,99 EUR
Mass Effect  3,75 EUR
Portal  3,00 EUR
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 03:44:03 am by olemars »

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2010, 08:44:05 am »

feed a family of 4 ppl in one of the under-regulated nations for 1 day: $1
I got nothing

Synzig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2010, 02:09:24 pm »

I seriously hope that was some sort of joke, ductape.

Those of us who have regular spending habits, concerning games and other forms of media/entertainment work hard for our money.  While sympathy for the unprivileged has its place, it's nonsensical to imply it's somehow wrong to indulge in entertainment.

also:  I consider it doing my part to help the damnable economy.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2010, 09:31:41 pm »

I seriously hope that was some sort of joke, ductape.
Its funny becuase its true! :P

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2010, 10:15:20 pm »

I get 80 USD a month in terms of allowance-Wich is why i'm going to be kept on limiting it to that.

So, your idea of limiting yourself is spending 100% of your income?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2010, 11:15:39 pm »

It's better than people that spend more than that with credit.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2010, 11:20:44 pm »

I don't have much else to spend it on.

As well, i'm only like what, 12? It's not like i have to pay bills or anything-i'm trying to make the most of my spending money now then when i have bills and stuff-In addition to that, i also have a bunch of funds, CD's, trust funds, etc. for me when i reach 18 years of age[Probably amounting to 5-40 thousand USD at that point in time: I don't know.]

EDIT:This might seem a bit confusing to some-I used to spend over 80 USD, dipping into my mothers budget, which i found she did not like(not very surprising) so me and her agreed to limit my monthly spending to 80 USD, my usual allowance.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 11:23:07 pm by x2yzh9 »

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2010, 11:57:11 pm »

As well, i'm only like what, 12? It's not like i have to pay bills or anything-i'm trying to make the most of my spending money now then when i have bills and stuff-In addition to that, i also have a bunch of funds, CD's, trust funds, etc. for me when i reach 18 years of age[Probably amounting to 5-40 thousand USD at that point in time: I don't know.]

Spending cash just because you have more isn't a good thing. If you are only spending it on games because there is nothing else to spend it on, then don't spend it at all
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 11:59:18 pm by Googolplexed »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2010, 12:06:18 am »

How in the hell did you get your hands on your mothers money?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2010, 12:25:19 am »

As well, i'm only like what, 12?

Oh. Never mind. Frolic and play, young one.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2010, 01:06:43 am »

How in the hell did you get your hands on your mothers money?
Not stealing it.

I mean, she was fine with it for a while; but then it got repetitive, if ya know what i mean.

Spending cash just because you have more isn't a good thing. If you are only spending it on games because there is nothing else to spend it on, then don't spend it at all
I..Don't get what you mean. I really, really have nothing else to spend it on[And i mean what is there?]. As of current i'm going to continue spending it on vidja games. Though i mean, this is obviously going to happen less often when i get to a age where i become independant/start paying car insurance/etc., but for right now i'm going to continue spending it on vidyer games because i really can't see the harm or negativity of doing so, or even something else to spend it on.

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2010, 01:54:11 am »

I..Don't get what you mean. I really, really have nothing else to spend it on[And i mean what is there?]. As of current i'm going to continue spending it on vidja games. Though i mean, this is obviously going to happen less often when i get to a age where i become independant/start paying car insurance/etc., but for right now i'm going to continue spending it on vidyer games because i really can't see the harm or negativity of doing so, or even something else to spend it on.
Forgive me if it seams like I'm tearing into you a bit, but again.
Just having cash doesn't mean you have to spend it.
Spend some of it sure, but spending all of it is quite stupid

At the least, its a good habit to get into. Even if you have nothing else to spend your money on, doesn't mean you won't have in future.
The thing that I see is, that when I was your age I didn't get anything other then money from birthdays and such. I had no choice but to save it, I got a fair amount, but it taught me to conserve money.

When you get a bit older I hope you understand, at your age it isn't too important yet.

The reason I am responding like this is because today I found out how badly money corrupts. I won't go into the details, but when someone receives a new watch worth $1000s of dollars, do you just pretend it was stolen to get another one.
I know thats not like in your case, but it is something I'm annoyed about recently.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5