Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Money Sinks  (Read 3717 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Money Sinks
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2010, 07:56:56 am »

I think I've bought only two games at retail price the couple of years, both last autumn (Batman AA and Ass Creed 2, both for the PS3). I tend to go for the real bargains when they pop up on steam/impulse/cdon or my local ebgames though.

During the steam holiday insanity I bought:
Mass Effect
Rome: Total War gold
Medieval 2: Total War
Overlord
Overlord Raising Hell
Overlord 2
Portal
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Civ4
Civ4: beyond the sword
Civ4: warlords
Civ4: Colonization
Shattered Horizon

All for less than 50 USD I believe. That sale was crazy.

I guess on average I'm somewhere between 10-20 USD a month on games.

EDIT: I tend to buy games after they've matured a bit. Price tends to drop a lot after 6-12 months and the game might even have improved by then after a few rounds of patching. It's not like they rot, and I generally don't care about most multiplayer games anyway.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 08:00:27 am by olemars »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2010, 10:27:18 am »

Hey OP, do you have a large income?
Well, I wouldn't say we're 'rolling in dough', but i can safely say that me make more than the average family, because of the reasons i stated earlier, not to mention my mother is going to college to become a teacher for after my grandfather retires/comes home, since the drop in payload happens because he's not overseas. My mom and dad, and grandpa were in the military, so they get their retirement checks too-Which really accounts for alot of our main income.

EDIT:Oh, and,
Avernum/Fallout/BG/Civilizations
What game is that?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 10:29:11 am by x2yzh9 »

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2010, 10:37:34 am »

2.  How do you go through two or three games a week?  Most games keep me occupied for at least a week, more if it's really good.

It's very possible to go through two or three games per week. Most commercial games are crap. Indie games can be much, much worse; $20-30 for something that lasts 4 hours (like Democracy 2). This perception of crap is relative to the amount of money I spend on them to how much I have fun.

I could spend $10 on two movie ticket and have a great 3 hours with someone I like, or I could spend $30-$50 on a game, spend 20 minutes figuring it, 3 hours getting addicted (not really having fun, just trying to win), and 7 hours still addicted, trying to win and see the next part of the story/cutscene/unlockable. Most games are exactly the same in the first 50 hours as they are in the first 10 hours, so it's a waste of time playing it after you've mastered those first 10 hours.

I can say that there are very, very few games worth what I pay. Fighting games are OK,
Indeed...

I am glad to not be alone in the 'the first 10 hours are the same as the last 40 hours' club. I rarely actually beat games. I don't play many story games either, and, honestly if I wanted a story I'd read my books.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2010, 10:40:08 am »

BG is always Baldur's Gate (1&2), the best rpg ever (well, include Planescape Torment in the list).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2010, 10:43:11 am »

Civ4
Civ4: beyond the sword
Civ4: warlords

If you didn't try it already, go here immediately:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Get the mod and the latest patch (although they've got some AI issues in the latest versions, trying to "outdo" Civ4 AI and all... still you have to try that); when you've played with it a bit, try Rise from Erebus modmodmod, I've actually started its beginning and Valkrionn is a very determined person who develops it. The FFH mod is great, the best mod for CIV4 I've ever seen (and that means a lot since I am ~4 years or more in a "bored" state with Civilization which means I can't even make myself to play it... But mods is a different thing).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2010, 10:46:57 am »

Maybe I'm just easy to please, but if I enjoy the first few hours I'll usually enjoy the rest.

Note that 40 hour games can rarely hold me.  I think the longest RPG campaign I can think of right off my head that I completed was Knights of the Old Republic, which was 20 hours.  Usually I'll hit a point, I can always see the point coming, where I can no longer keep myself going.  It's always at the end of a long and usually very interesting quest, I'll complete it and kind of lose my momentum to go through the next quest, especially if it's not as cool as the last.  One I can think of is Morrowind.  I had just completed the quest where you have to prove to the various ashlander tribes that you're the Nerevarine, and it was cool, and I felt really immersed in the story, and then I'm told I have to go convince a bunch of politicians that I'm the hortator, and I just didn't have it in me.  So, instead, I went out and fought Dagoth Ur without the proper tools.  He fell off the bridge and ran around in the lava, being quite immune to fire.
Shoes...

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2010, 11:30:59 am »

Avernum/Fallout/BG/Civilizations
What game is that?

Baldur's Gate (2). It's questionable whether or not it's a good game, if you're one of those people who spend weeks debating what a game actually is. But it's certainly the best interactive stories ever made. It has very long lastability, easily a few weeks if you don't play 24/7, and it's most known for having good conversations and romances with your fellow NPC adventurers. I've only had the willpower and time to win it once (unlike Fallout) and it's been a great experience all the way.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Synzig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2010, 12:28:08 pm »

1:  Where are you getting all that money?  I hope you've got an awesome job and you're not spending your parents' money

2.  How do you go through two or three games a week?  Most games keep me occupied for at least a week, more if it's really good.

1. Full time job as a graphics designer that pays -quite- well.  No, not my parents money.

2. Over this past year I've started trying to keep up with releases that look 'pretty good'.  This, more times than not, has ended very badly.  On the plus side, though, my Steam collection is pretty robust.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2010, 04:22:23 pm »

On topic: Dude ! So much monehs, and mainstream games suck so much!
Well, I guess if you didnt really grow up with pong, you dont have the feeling "meh i saw this in the 70/80/90s already, it just had lower resolution" with every other game that comes out... but meh, i disgress because this here is a lot more important:

Plants vs zombies
This game looks shitty to me. BUT HAWTDAMN. WATCH THE VIDEOS!
I'm serious, go watch them http://www.popcap.com/extras/pvz/  top of the site has a link to the vids. That SERIOUSLY tickled my funny bone.

I think I'll go there again, right away and watch em all over again.

Choose username

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2010, 05:47:00 pm »

In the past year I've only bought Shattered Horizon for 5$ (sadly a waste of money) and Tropico 3 just today for 13$.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2010, 05:52:18 pm »

Since when is $80 a huge amount of money? The recession seems to have hit Bay12 forumers worse than most other groups ::)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2010, 07:54:20 pm »

Since when is $80 a huge amount of money? The recession seems to have hit Bay12 forumers worse than most other groups ::)

Well, most of B12 don't have jobs. And DF is a free game, so it attracts people who like free. :D

Er, I've spent a stupid amount on games recently, way way too much in the steam sale. I bought about £120 worth of games alone in that sale. That with my 2 Eve-online subscriptions (every 3 months, is about £50). And ofcourse donating money to the DFC server (over the course of its life time, about £70).

I have a problem, I'm a student with a part time job with the Government that's going to end shortly...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:56:18 pm by Nilocy »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2010, 10:05:36 pm »

Depends entirely where you're from. Some places, it's half a day of wages. In others, it's a month's salary. When you spend a month's salary on a game that is barely fun for half a week, you get very pissed off.

Yeah, and students/teenagers don't make much money either.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2010, 10:36:30 pm »

I get 80 USD a month in terms of allowance-Wich is why i'm going to be kept on limiting it to that.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2010, 12:09:49 am »

Yeah, I make *decent* money at 3 part time jobs now. I'm currently with the parents saving money for grad school and ... god forbid... marriage. Living with family saves so much.

I'm typically very hippie frugal with my cash.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5