Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Money Sinks  (Read 3719 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Money Sinks
« on: January 30, 2010, 08:06:29 pm »

How much do you spend on video games monthly? Discuss. I really need to get my addiction down-As a start i'm limiting myself to $80 a month. I can't afford to keep doing it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Money Sinks
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 08:12:33 pm »

80 dollars a month?!  Control yourself, man.  I spend, at maximum, 50 dollars every two or three months.  It takes a huge amount of hype to get me to put down more than 10 or 15 dollars for a game.

Depending on how the AVP 3 demo plays, it may end up being my 50 dollars for this period.
Shoes...

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 08:53:55 pm »

Since I have no money and a shitty computer, the most I have spent on a video game in a while was the $2 I spent on the X-com pack yesterday.

Before that, I bought Vampire the masquerade for $5, about a year ago, and Psychonauts and X-Com: TFTD for $5 each about the same time.

To be very honest, there isn't $80 a month worth of games out there at any given moment. Even if I had the cash or computer I probably would've only bought Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, and Left for Dead 2, but even then I'd wait for them to go down in price. I... what in God's name are you buying?

Edit: Just because I don't spend a lot of money doesn't mean I don't play a lot of video games. It's pretty much all I do with my time outside of school.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:03:34 pm by Morsigil »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 08:56:02 pm »

You have dwarf fortress....play it more.

There is also another thread in this forum section called aurora, look it up it's free, time consuming, and fun.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 09:02:42 pm »

80 a month is CUTTING DOWN for you? Jesus W Christ. I haven't spent money on a video game in about two years.

...which I guess makes my advice not that relevant.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 09:11:44 pm »

Why spend so much money with free ways to obtain games.... *wink nudge nudge*

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 09:14:39 pm »

Cause it's illegal and it's a criminal offense? Oh well.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 09:17:57 pm »

I don't buy games that much anymore...iunno, I just can't find any good ones anymore.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 10:02:54 pm »

I buy many games.

I preordered Mass effect 2 and splinter cell conviction the other day[Came up to $110 USD because of the $10 USD discount], just bought Space Rangers 2 today for 40 USD, want to buy distant worlds[there's another thread in this forum, if you're too lazy to look and end up asking]and if i get any spare money i'd end up spending it on one of the armada games. The total would be coming up to around 200 USD for this month, though i admit this has been an expensive month. Anyway, i don't have to pay bills or anything so it's easier on me, but still, ye know, we have so much retirement stuff in place that we literally support our family by our grandfather working across ocean, and the retirement money, and that's about it to support us. We have a nice house, i mean, we're really blessed when it comes to terms of wealth.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 10:07:52 pm »

I used to spend about $80 every 3 months or so on a new game, but I've been playing a lot of free stuff lately.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 10:40:48 pm »

That's because most free stuff is better then the 60 dollar stuff  :-\

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 10:50:39 pm »

I think the Steam sales were it for my spending. All I need is a good deal for the more recent games to get me interested. I mean, I spent more than I expected, but saved just as surprising an amount during that sale. Damn-near bought the whole catalog, and saved at least 5x as much as I spent total.

That was one hell of a sale. More than enough to keep me satisfied for the next couple years.

Plus, now my 1TB hard drive is almost full, and I still haven't installed the rest of the games. Let's not forget the fun of optimizing the drive as well. 3-5 days (total) of defragmenting. F-U-N!!! ;D

In regards to regular spending, I usually budgeted on 20 bucks, or 50 if it was something special (like a bundle of classic/awesome games, or a really good one that's worth buying it full price).

But yeah, 80$/month? Holy crap man, get a hold of yourself. That's outside my range of acceptable price/budget.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 10:52:30 pm by Itnetlolor »

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 11:23:45 pm »

Its not really a frequent amount, as games I want only come out once in a while.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 11:32:28 pm »

I spent like $3 for Unreal World and $20 for the whole Fallout pack last year. There's like nothing worth buying anymore.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 11:38:41 pm »

Plants vs zombies, world of goo, Wurm Online
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5