Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rawr, I can never find a nice embarking spot.  (Read 822 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rawr, I can never find a nice embarking spot.
« on: January 30, 2010, 05:43:58 pm »

I always try to find a place with lava, and hopefully water. The problem is whenever I try to embark near a volcanoe (red ^ right?), I can never find the darn thing! I can't see it on the map. So I want to know if there is a map out there that has a magma pipe, unlimited water, and some decent stone layers, and mabey some other cool stuff?  ::)
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rawr, I can never find a nice embarking spot.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 05:45:22 pm »

Search for the embark spot through the interface. There is usually several.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 05:45:48 pm »

Interface?
I've played a guitar with my penis.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 06:39:31 pm »

Join the club - DF is very realistic in its distribution of magma areas, water and good stone layers, so it's difficult to find the good sites.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 06:48:33 pm »

Try changing [SHOW_EMBARK_*] in the init file to ALWAYS if you haven't. It makes finding magma much easier.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 06:49:00 pm »

I think he means to say that when he embarks on a volcano he can't find it when he arrives.That's because it's an underground volcano, but it shouldn't be too hard to guess where it is, just look for a big obsidian circle on the surface, there should be nothing on it, no boulders and no plants, just a big black circle.Or if you are lucky enough it will be a surface pipe but that shouldn't be a problem to spot :)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 08:05:53 pm »

I think he means to say that when he embarks on a volcano he can't find it when he arrives.That's because it's an underground volcano, but it shouldn't be too hard to guess where it is, just look for a big obsidian circle on the surface, there should be nothing on it, no boulders and no plants, just a big black circle.Or if you are lucky enough it will be a surface pipe but that shouldn't be a problem to spot :)
What you described IS a surface pipe, just one that's cooled down to form a cap. Underground magma vents don't show any sign of themselves on the surface.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 08:23:44 pm »

This may seem counter-intuitive, but try looking for good sites in white sand deserts.  White sand deserts tend to have chalk as their primary layer (meaning plenty of magnetite and platinum too), and of course grow a whole lot of Saguaro cacti and prickle berries for wood and food purposes.  The real problem is finding a desert with a magma pipe...
Sanity is for the weak.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 09:20:01 pm »

White sand deserts tend to have chalk as their primary layer

No, they don't - all sand types are equally likely to occur, and chalk is just as likely to show up as flint, shale, or rock salt.

Also, while Saguaro are indeed unique to deserts, prickle berries can show up anywhere that isn't freezing (along with longland grass, sliver barbs, whip vines, wild strawberries, blade weeds, and hide roots; fisher berries, rat weeds, rope reeds, and sun berries will only grow near rivers or pools, which are unlikely to show up in the middle of a desert).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:26:19 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.