Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Favorite rock (layer)?  (Read 6705 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite rock (layer)?
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2010, 02:02:43 pm »

Cinnabar is my favorite.  When I strike useful ore and cinnabar at the same time, I mine the cinnabar first!  Red buildings for everyone!  Not to mention it's poisonous; also an ore of mercury - I wish in DF you could smelt cinnabar to make buckets full of mercury, and that it would be a fluid so you could make pools of mercury...

That will be possible in the next release.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2010, 02:05:32 pm »

Mica is nice.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2010, 06:42:33 pm »

Just wondering, has anyone actually seen microcline and orthoclase in real life? If so, have you ever wondered why Toady chose such a bright color for them?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2010, 07:00:12 pm »

I've seen pictures of microcline elsewhere on the forums and it's kind of a teal color. No idea about orthoclase.

My guess is that he had to choose something because of the limited palette of colors that DF has.

Doesn't explain why those two are so damn common that they make up at least half of a layers worth of rock.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2010, 07:12:13 pm »

Cinnabar is my favorite.  When I strike useful ore and cinnabar at the same time, I mine the cinnabar first!  Red buildings for everyone!  Not to mention it's poisonous; also an ore of mercury - I wish in DF you could smelt cinnabar to make buckets full of mercury, and that it would be a fluid so you could make pools of mercury...

Are you certain? I know there will be more liquids than water and magma available, but mercury?
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2010, 07:16:31 pm »

Yea, you can have creatures bleed molten rock or even sand. You probably won't be able to make it a liquid in the way water acts if thats what you mean, but you should be able to coat the floor in mercury.... at least until the season changes.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2010, 07:24:20 pm »

Yea, you can have creatures bleed molten rock or even sand. You probably won't be able to make it a liquid in the way water acts if thats what you mean, but you should be able to coat the floor in mercury.... at least until the season changes.
Huh. Neat.

Too bad we can't make it poisonous yet though...
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

MacaqueAttack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2010, 08:49:39 pm »

I like dolomite, just because it's fun to say "Dolemite's the name, and fucking up motherfuckers is my game".

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2010, 09:45:09 pm »

Obsidian, because I play Dig Deeper, and blackmetal makes my life very happy, what with needing good armour and weapons against orcs and their sort.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2010, 12:22:22 am »

Are you certain? I know there will be more liquids than water and magma available, but mercury?

I always figured Toady must have once intended for Cinnabar to be an ore - it uses the same funky "L" (British pounds?) that usually designates an ore...
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2010, 12:31:29 am »

Flux and Obsidian are merely "useful" to me and I can't really consider them "rocks" like I would other stone layers. I'll use them if I don't have any other plausible choice, but I rather like regular stone layers for general purpose things, "saving" the more valuable stones for their intended purposes, and jacking up the value of furniture, mugs, and furniture.

I rather like Felsite especially. Are there any non-flux 'white' stones?

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2010, 12:48:29 am »

Are there any non-flux 'white' stones?

Quite a few, including rock salt, quartzite, alabaster, alunite, borax, cryolite, marcasite, periclase, satinspar, selenite, stibinite, and talc.
Sanity is for the weak.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2010, 12:59:34 am »

Well, who doesn't like carving a fortress out of rock salt? And in adventure mode, it makes my day if...

You lick the Rock salt.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2010, 04:29:23 am »

Well, who doesn't like carving a fortress out of rock salt? And in adventure mode, it makes my day if...

You lick the Rock salt.
I actually do not recommend this, as at five years old I licked and even consumed a bit of rock salt from a bag we had for deicing our driveway, and...the results weren't very pleasant. Plus it is incredibly STRONG salty taste. Far stronger than the ocean.

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2010, 07:05:44 am »

No idea about orthoclase.

this is orthoclase (it can also come in a pinkish color apparently)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 07:08:36 am by Exiledhero99 »
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6