Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Favorite rock (layer)?  (Read 6710 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Favorite rock (layer)?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 08:02:43 pm »

Chalk - it's sedimentary, it's flux, and it doesn't contain any other "special" stones which might displace other useful minerals. By comparison, dolomite ends up containing tons of talc (often displacing bauxite or magnetite), and limestone contains both malachite and galena (both of which can displace bituminous coal and/or lignite).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 08:12:29 pm »

My favourites are Granite and Realgar. I also like Olivine for it's dark green color and aloofness.

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 08:17:07 pm »

Dolomite and Marble are my favorites, but Slate comes in a close second because I like the look.
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 08:23:10 pm »

Chert, flint, and obsidian, because all three should have the [SHARP] tag, and do have that tag, as per my modding.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 08:25:20 pm »

After my highly successful white sand desert fort, I'm gonna have to say chalk as well.  Damn useful stuff, and it makes for pristine-looking mega-fortresses.
Sanity is for the weak.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 09:10:36 pm »

Microcline, pitchblende, and orthoclase.

It's so hard to choose which!  :D

I like having pretty colors...
Those are just my most used.

Current fortress is going to have building tops domed with orthoclase and has an archery tower in the works that is taaaaall, but thin.
It's been used to dispose of goblins, too, since that was the original idea.  But that was back before I found out that my dwarf-made pool wouldn't fill even if it was left exposed... so screw it, put a floor init, me lads!  Our arruhs will fall like'da rain!
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 09:50:45 pm »

After my highly successful white sand desert fort, I'm gonna have to say chalk as well.  Damn useful stuff, and it makes for pristine-looking mega-fortresses.

Megafortresses that should rightfully dissolve slowly in the rain
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 10:05:42 pm »

Limestone, for color, flux, sedimentary ores, and the ability to rebuild the pyramids.

Obsidian for the swords and the color.

I also like both because of the aesthetics of seeing obsidian or limestone walls.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 10:14:35 pm »

Bauxite - red and magma-proof, double win!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 10:24:22 pm »

No love for Felsite?  I loevs me some Felsite.
Shoes...

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 12:25:06 am »

gold,silver and platinum. And before you yell at me, my game is modded to the point of

REDUNKULUS

or gabbro, because I like the name.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 12:41:44 am »

gold,silver and platinum. And before you yell at me, my game is modded to the point of

REDUNKULUS

or gabbro, because I like the name.

LOL

Whats the difference between chert and flint...?

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 12:47:32 am »

That'd be quite a feat in a desert.  I think it rained once a year on a rare year for that fort.  Also, you might want to do a bit of research: chalk as it's found in nature does not tend to dissolve in water.  Hell, there are rock formations of chalk partially submerged in the ocean on the Isle of Wight.  While chalk is a very soft stone compared to some, it's not that porous.
Sanity is for the weak.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2010, 01:33:25 am »

That'd be quite a feat in a desert.  I think it rained once a year on a rare year for that fort.  Also, you might want to do a bit of research: chalk as it's found in nature does not tend to dissolve in water.  Hell, there are rock formations of chalk partially submerged in the ocean on the Isle of Wight.  While chalk is a very soft stone compared to some, it's not that porous.

I've seen what happens to chalk when it's left out in the rain. It erodes pretty fast.
And of course a dwarven fortress would have acid rain.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2010, 02:24:07 am »

I've seen what happens to chalk when it's left out in the rain. It erodes pretty fast.
And of course a dwarven fortress would have acid rain.

If you're referring to "chalk" as we see it used today, that's rarely genuine chalk.  Blackboard and street chalk tends to be made from gypsum now.  The "chalk" used for sports field lines is actually titanium dioxide now, and the kind used in sports to prevent perspiration problems is actually magnesium carbonate.  Tailor's chalk is actually talc.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 02:29:30 am by SkyRender »
Sanity is for the weak.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6