Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Favorite rock (layer)?  (Read 6711 times)

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
Favorite rock (layer)?
« on: January 30, 2010, 05:09:50 pm »

I was just wondering, because I was looking around a map I just created silently screaming "WHERE ARE THE ARMOK %$#@%$ CHERT LAYERS??" I like chert because it looks good with the brown color I used in the init.txt file, and generally contains a wide variety of gems and metal, especially magnetite.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

dralloss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite rock (layer)?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 05:12:54 pm »

I'm a fan of mudstone. There's no particular reason, I just like it. I found lignite, magnetite, and a crap load of bloodstones in there.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 05:52:54 pm »

I like the idea of carving a fortress out of marble, but it unfortunately lacks iron ore. Dolomite is my other choice, because it's one of the more stable sedimentary layers(I don't like the idea of carving a fortress out of easily dissolvable calcite or limestone, even if it doesn't have a effect in the game).
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 06:57:38 pm »

Agree with RNG about Marble. Obsidian as well for the same reason plus the trade value and being able to make weapons out of it. I certainly have a taste for the decadent and love the idea of an imposing fortress made entirely out of valuable stone types.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 07:02:54 pm »

Granite. Mostly because it's a nice solid-sounding name.

However, I have a liking for smooth marble hallways. I always imagine dwarves wearing their socks out skidding down them.

Otherwise, obsidian, because I love making toys and mugs and instruments out of a stone that chips to be razor-sharp.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 07:12:58 pm »

Pitchblende, because potential radiation poisoning is a small price to pay for pretty purple color.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 07:18:18 pm »

Pitchblende, because potential radiation poisoning is a small price to pay for pretty purple color.

That's not a layer.

If we're talking favorites out of all rocks, I would say Kimberlite, because I like the color and it has diamonds.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 07:23:38 pm »

I like how well I implemented Chert and Marble in one of my forts. In a future incarnation, I'd like to use it as a way of dividing castes among my fort.

Chert seems to have a nice earthy feel to it, but marble, you know in both game and reality that it looks nice as a smoothed out chamber. Heck, some marble mines look pretty cool IRL. I can imagine many a fort made of marble converted IRL would look epic. One example being that dining room I made for WaveHandle. This is my best fortress using both materials BTW, a nice example of how nice it looks.

Another reason marble rocks ;D is also because you can get metal out of it.

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 07:29:32 pm »

That's not a layer.

If we're talking favorites out of all rocks, I would say Kimberlite, because I like the color and it has diamonds.
It says favorite rock, I thought layer was an afterthought, liking more the things found in the stone rather than the actual stone. :(

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 07:34:43 pm »

Obsidian
Makes great crafts and swords, high value, awesome color.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 07:38:39 pm »

Obsidian and marble are tied. Obsidian because of its extraordinary uses and looks, and marble because not only is is flux but also very pretty. They work well together, too.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 07:42:58 pm »

Marble and obsidian are the best, but I tend to build in limestone instead for the magnetite.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 07:45:31 pm »

Schist. Wanna know why? Because I imagine traders approaching saying
"Holy Schist!!! That is one brown fortress!."
I also like the brown color.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 07:46:03 pm »

Conglomerate, because it taught me how to pierce a three Z-layer deep aquifer.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 07:52:25 pm »

Limestone. Contains tons of iron (At least in my experience). And has the classing grey look. Perfect for my aboveground castles.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6