Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Favorite rock (layer)?  (Read 6694 times)

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite rock (layer)?
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2010, 04:17:26 am »

Diorite.  For some reason it seems to bless me with gold more often than microcline, and the dark color when it's smoothed is a nice contrast.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2010, 04:21:45 am »

I've always been fond of felsite.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2010, 01:13:28 pm »

It is a tie between chalk and obsidian.  Chalk never fails to provide boatloads of iron and bauxite, while obsidian is, well, obsidian!
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

lurker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2010, 03:13:51 pm »

After my highly successful white sand desert fort, I'm gonna have to say chalk as well.  Damn useful stuff, and it makes for pristine-looking mega-fortresses.

Megafortresses that should rightfully dissolve slowly in the rain

The white cliffs of Dover are noticeably.. still there. In geological terms it might not be the most permanent stone, but for building on a human (or dwarven) timescale chalk is viable.

Personally I like limestone because it seems to be a good layer for hematite.  Chalk is nice too but my current embark is mostly chalk and i'm having a hard time finding ores  :-\.  Fortunately there's a good supply of goblinite as usual.

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2010, 08:55:33 pm »

Gabbro, gabbro, a hundred times gabbro! Some may scoff and ask me where I get my iron, but I would ask them where they get their PLATINUM and DIAMONDS. Also olivine which is v. pretty.
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2010, 09:16:56 pm »

Although not technically a rock, I really like jet (I'm not sure why DF doesn't treat jet like a gemstone instead of rock). I like to imagine my fortresses made of polished black jet, looking something like the monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I think one of the rocks mods puts gem-quality jet in the normal jet. You could add such a thing yourself easily enough.

And  Bryan; have you every gotten yourself a piece of smooth gabbro? It is a good stone.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Grafsburg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mad Catta
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2010, 12:30:46 am »

I'd have to say Chalk, because it's a flux stone and you can usually find a good amount of iron ores and the like in it. I don't much like the idea of chalk walls, for some reason. The texture just doesn't sound appealing.
"The great thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain." ~Bob Marley

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2010, 01:35:10 am »

And  Bryan; have you every gotten yourself a piece of smooth gabbro? It is a good stone.

Oh yes, indeed. There's a bunch of renovations going on outside the faculty of geology building down at the university in recent years, and one of the new things that was just recently added was a whole bunch of big rough boulders of various types of stone placed in the lawn with plaques on them identifying their type and origin location. Quite neat seeing all those types of rock I've been working with in DF all those years. The gabbro looked fine in RL.

But I still don't like it in DF, because there's just something about the name that sounds yucky. Makes me think of conglomerate. I'll dig and build in the stuff if I have to, and I'll sell gabbro crafts to traders, but I just don't like it, nope nope nope. Not a rational thing.

powell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2010, 04:29:02 am »

MICROLINE!!!

veerserif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2010, 04:40:19 am »

My favourite is obsidian, with marble being a close second. Also, I like microcline, especially since the color settings I use mean that it doesn't burn holes in my retina.

I still like to make all my aboveground roads + trade depot out of the stuff. I like to think that the traders are being blinded by its cyan-ness, and so my dwarfs get a better deal :)

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2010, 07:35:28 am »

For value: chalk on gabbro on granite, which is the absolutely superior mining combination possible in the game.

For looks: olivine + kimberlite + orthoclase + microcline + kaolinite/bauxite, which provide a rich color pattern. I don't like brown color but if it's available I use it for some low-value sections of the fortress (butchery area, refuse stockpiles, prison etc).
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

csebal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2010, 08:09:02 am »

Marble. Nice bright color, nice value and nice stuff inside it :P Especially like malachite, purely for its color. The fact that it can be smelted into copper is merely a bonus.

Even though iron is so much better, i somehow end up having lots of copper stuff even on iron rich maps. I guess i just have a thing for copper :P
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 08:12:19 am by csebal »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2010, 08:35:02 am »

As most of the people here, I like my marble. Its just got nice luxurious feel to it, unlike the sedimentary flux layers.

Unlike most here I dont realy care for obsidian layers, they cost me my excuse to make an overly complex obsidian farm.

Brown stones like schist and chert are nice too though, they look awesome with green glass. They a somewhat earthy feel to them, nice for farms and stuff.

Also, I realy dont like microcline and orthoclase. They occur way to often, and I realy dont like the color of them. Its the reason I replace most my natural stone walls with constructed ones.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2010, 10:18:11 am »

I kind of like marble as well for the fact that it can be found in volcanic areas and it does give the feel of luxury.

As far as sedimentary goes, I prefer chalk or limestone. I haven't had a real problem with iron not bieng real abundant in limestone because theres usually a whole bunch of hematite and limonite to make up for it.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2010, 02:01:18 pm »

Cinnabar is my favorite.  When I strike useful ore and cinnabar at the same time, I mine the cinnabar first!  Red buildings for everyone!  Not to mention it's poisonous; also an ore of mercury - I wish in DF you could smelt cinnabar to make buckets full of mercury, and that it would be a fluid so you could make pools of mercury...
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6