Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What's up with the humans?  (Read 1111 times)

dralloss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's up with the humans?
« on: January 30, 2010, 04:55:30 pm »

Can someone explain why humans are such pansies? They've had their army standing outside my fort for months now. They only managed to kill a few animals before their bowmen stopped shooting and now they just run away from EVERYTHING. From puppies to consorts, they just run. That's it. It's so incredibly frustrating!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: What's up with the humans?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 05:00:03 pm »

Nobody likes human sieges, really. The idea apparently is that they actually siege you in the sense of camping around outside and stopping traders from accessing the fort. They're very annoying. I think they're supposed to charge you after a very long time, but I'm not sure because I usually slaughter them pretty quickly. Send out some really fast champions to hunt them down if they run. They're pushovers.

dralloss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 05:01:45 pm »

Right now, i'm trying to cause my forts doom. As easy as this should be, I have 4 nobles left wandering the field scaring the bejesus out of the human masterswordsmen and elite bowmen. The one time I tried to fight a human siege, they arrowed everyone to death :( Guess my shield skills weren't high enough?

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 05:04:33 pm »

They're actually sieging you: while they remain outside no caravans or immigrants can come. Unlike Goblins, where sieges consist of "run at them screaming and then hope you don't die", humans actually play it smart. Why run off to their inevitable dooms? Instead, they try to starve the enemy.

Unfortunately for them, this tactic usually doesn't work unless the fort relies on imported food and booze.

Give them a few more months and they'll do a final charge.

If you don't like human sieges, just accept their peace offer when the diplomat comes.

Also fun to cause doom: get all the other races to come after you. Let kobolds steal expensive items, piss on the elves every chance you get. If you have HFS, breach it the moment a siege starts, so you won't have enough champions.

Also, if you have any sort of defenses, and you really want your doom, disable them. If you're using a moat, let the drawbridges down. And, even if you stand your fort out there in the nude, and they still don't come in, then kill them. They're obviously not Fun enough.

dralloss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 05:06:57 pm »

Well I'd figured that lol. They finally charged into the fort through the unguarded entrance. They still run from puppies, foals, nobles, and cows.

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 05:08:00 pm »

Have any survivors slaughter the puppies, cows, foals and nobles. Then there should be nothing standing between you and their spears.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 05:09:26 pm »

check world gen to see if dwarfs killed lots of humans in wars?
human sieges work on the stave them out route but as you have years of food in stock it fails.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

dralloss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 05:10:41 pm »

The nobles are all that is left :( A consort, a Baron, and the dungeon master.

I have over 2000 plants and prepared meals and almost 3000 drinks. But it's all forbidden so that most of the fortress would starve to death.

dralloss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 05:15:33 pm »

Two of the nobles starved to death! Just that stupid baron left...

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 06:04:32 pm »

So has anyone figured out why the humans are running from puppies?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 06:36:39 pm »

Were the humans on horses? I've heard about having problems with the horses running away before.

dralloss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 07:04:28 pm »

Every last one of em was mounted.

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 07:08:27 pm »

It's probably the horses. They aren't special warhorses, they're normal horses, so they're afraid of everything.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 06:08:44 am »

Incidentally, while that cripples their mounted melee, it makes their mounted archers more dangerous. The archer plinks away with his bow, and the horse flees madly while your stumpy champion tries to chase it down. This seems like the sort of bug that would get in as a feature.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"
Pages: [1] 2