Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Age of Restoration II - Game Thread. Turn 8.  (Read 7253 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Restoration II - Game Thread. Turn 5.
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 06:22:17 pm »

The Vidal quickly took to the logograms that the sages had devised. The most common use in the beginning was to write down the old stories, especially such favorites as 'The Quietkeeper and the Coruscator' or 'The Deafening Croakers'. Soon followed religious texts regarding Queen Yadoggka, little stories like 'The Dissenting Voice' or 'The Failing of the Eternist', and more or less accurate historical accounts on Voshol, Usata I, and Usata II. As the number of such writing grew, so did the demand for a central place to store them. Whereas King Usata II had planned to have near every able body help the harvest in order to fill the newly-built granary, the good harvest convinced him to allow a few workers for the construction of such a place over the next two years.

----------

"Well, well, my lord. Unless I'm mistaken, this year will make you the longest-reigning king of our kingdom to date." the old Vidal said. "While you are not mistaken, Avrish, I am also only the third king of our kingdom, if you count Voshol. Many aren't inclined to do so. And naturally, I was much younger than my father when I inherited the throne. A rather empty achievement at this point." the king looked sternly at the elder of the Yadoggka faith. "You aren't here to congratulate me on some nebulous number, I take it. You have some concerns regarding the shrine?"

"Ah, if you wish to be so direct, my lord, yes, I do. The Queen Yadoggka is not overly jealous, and I am certain she won't mind sharing the shrine too much, but... well, the spirits, dedicating some portion to the shrine is simply a waste. And waste, I do not think the Queen looks kindly on that."

The king nodded in response "Your objection is as noted as it was expected, Elder Avrish. But ultimately futile. As large as the faithful of Yadoggka are, not all share the belief that the spirits are... unresponsive. Ultimately, the shrine must not only provide for the needs of whoever it is dedicated to... it also has to provide for the needs of the people, and too many people put faith into the spirits that I could scorn them. You may condemn this approach if you like, but for me, it is a necessary evil."

----------

"Ah, Sanish, how can I help you?" Weshol looked up from some writings sketching a promising way to improve the growers' magics as the warrior entered the Hall of Learning. "Advisor, I have been reading some of the old stories recently, and I have been wondering about some of the weapons and tactics described therein." - "Indeed, the old stories may hold some inspiration, but do not expect them to work as described in the stories. I suspect that they must have been distorted over time, even if the storytellers insist otherwise. Are there any particular stories you had in mind?"

Sanish, looking a bit surprised to not be outright ridiculed by the scientist for putting any faith into the legends, continued with some hesitation. "There's... a number of stories, but... it is about a weapon apparently mentioned in several stories. One that seems to strike a small spear over a great distance. Maybe the stories were originally describing powerful throwers who became more powerful with each retelling, but..." - "... but such a weapon would be very useful, you mean?" - "Yes. If it is real, it would allow attacking a foe, or a dangerous animal, for that matter, before he could strike back!" - "I cannot promise anything, Sanish, but I think the weapon is not only real, but easily designed with our resources."

OOC Actions:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 07:09:11 pm »

Extracts from Taharkido Cheddarius, Tahark Elder, Journal.

The Hunters, Woodcutters, Tanners and Farmers have left the Warcamp early this year, it has become something they are used to and have grow more and more confident in surplying the Warcamp with the food and goods that we need, in some way it proudens an old Taharkido proud...

Labour 1 \ Plains/River Tile 5 \ +3Food
Labour 2 \ Plains/River Tile 14 \ +3Food
Labour 3 \ Forest Tile 3 \ +1Food +1Wood +1Leather
Labour 4 \ Forest Tile 4 \ +1Food +1Wood +1Leather
Labour 5 \ Forest/River Tile 6 \ +3Food +1Wood

Preparations were completed on the buildings in the forests, already leather hides are pouring into the Warcamp, And our Leather works have begun to turn these hides into Armour for our Tahark Warriors. It is good to see the people inspired by the prospects of war. I also noticed a few Shields being constructed, a good defense is a good offense but sometimes you need that little bit extra, don't you...

Labour 6 \ Warcamp Guta \ Military Workshops \ Make Leather Armour \ -1 Leather
Labour 7 \ Warcamp Guta \ Military Workshops \ Make Leather Armour \ -1 Leather
Labour 8 \ Warcamp Guta \ Military Workshops \ Make Wooden Shields \ -2 Wood
Labour 9 \ Warcamp Guta \ Military Workshops \ Make Wooden Shields \ -2 Wood

The last shocking news was when I noticed the Horses being lead out to one of the Plains that was being farmed, when questioned I learned that they were building a Horse farm out there so that we could breed and have this herd grow to something more useful in future times. I noticed that the Pathfinder was following them, examining each of the horses as they left the Camp. Is he looking for a Mount I wonder...

Labour 10, 11 / Plains/River Tile 4 / Build a Horse Farm / -1 Horse Herd -1 Wood

The Warleader however, had set up some Archery targets on the Training Field. A large amount of Tahark lined up behind one another as they shoved and pushed in an attempt to reach the front. The Warleader had promised to train the best of the first 200 Tahark that can hit close to the Center of the target. So far he had reached only 100 with thousands turning around in dispair. But by the end of the year it looks like we will have our first Bowhark Squad...

Warleader Actions / Warcamp Guta / Train Archers / -200 Pop

Final Warehouse Contents.
Wood / 0
Leather / 0
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:06:22 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2010, 05:07:22 pm »

“Ah spring” though  Master Sz'har.
“What season carry's more renewal or happier tidings?”

The land was plowed and the seeds were planted, in the fall the first harvest of the new irrigated farmlands would come in.  Master Sz'har Would plan a great festival for the people. Sadly Wayfinder Lizarthu would not attend as he had duty's elsewhere, scouting out the lands to make sure that all were safe. In the hall of learning more scholars would “research” the rites of burial as  Master Sz'har when to over see building a work shop to make canoes. Others would go out in to the wilds to collect resources for the upcoming festival.

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2010, 10:37:55 pm »

A huge map scrolled across the side of a wall, nearly spilling over the other walls. across the top was written "Ragt'ich" in fancy lettering, the land drawn in great detail. Thorith and Kath'uthual looked over the map with great interest, while a tailor waited nearby with needle and thread. "Now see, if we grow the crops here" Thorith said, pointing near the river under the spot occupied by the city "we'll be able to increase our efficiency, and be able to focus our men on other projects" The tailor readies his needle, and move closer to the map to add the new details. "But" Kath'uthual interrupted "if we place the farms on the hills to the west of the city, we would be able to stock on wool without sacrificing workers" The tailor stops, and then moves to the area the advisory had referenced. "Put we don't need wool that badly" pointed out Thoirth "Not now, but it may become more useful in the future" added Kath'uthual, and by the time the two had reached an agreement, the tailor had become entangled in his own thread.

At that time, Roland had entered the room, a wolf pelt adorning his normal leather coat, chewing a piece of cooked meat in his hand, and with a wide smile. "I'd like to thank you, Thorith. That was the most fun I've had all year. So can I go again this year?" Thorith turned in surprise. "What do you mean again?" "Well you see" said Roland, as he took a bite out of his lunch "We really didn't find anything, and I was hope I would. And i have to keep looking or I won't ever find anything" Thorith clutched his head, that explanation hurting his head a bit. "Fine, just go"

Spoiler: Budget (click to show/hide)

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2010, 07:51:55 pm »

Pondering his next moves, Inteuniso went outside, to look at his city. It was well-built, but the fact was, it wasn't defended. All these Kimana, young and old, would die if raiders or a hostile civilization attacked.

A military would have to be formed, or at least a militia. Spears made, men trained, defenses dug. The Kimana would need a military force for the good of the city, and for their superiority over others. The Kimana would still have to be fed, however. Not to mention be happy with the new policies enacted. Oh, this great juggling act, politics.

He was also pleased with the new horses. His stupid, four-legged brethren would be great use for beasts of burden.

Spoiler: Turn 6 (click to show/hide)
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Restoration II - Game Thread. Turn 6.
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 04:46:33 pm »

Spoiler: Neyvn's Tahark Horde (click to show/hide)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 11:54:36 pm »

An Error has caused this turn to have been deleted...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:01:03 pm by Neyvn »
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2010, 12:34:25 pm »

Weshol eyed the swamp ole from his room carefully. He noted down every movement, and drew crude approximations of the creature's anatomy. Absentmindedly, he made a gesture of approval. Things might work out quite well with these beasts if he could research them with a team.

----------

"Elder Avrish. I'm afraid the king is not available." Awenshen looked at the old man before her. While she did put more faith in the Queen than in the spirits, she considered the elder more a belligerent troublemaker than a venerable authority. Still, while the king was testing these new bows, she had to listen what Avrish might have to say. Ideally, he might only want to speak to the king...

"Quietkeeper Awenshen, surely you must see that the people are restless. For how long have they endured the dishonorable way that our dead are disposed of? It is a disgrace to the Queen, don't you agree?" Reluctantly, Awenshen gestured her agreement. While she was sure that Avrish was worried about his own burial more than anything, she had seen the third advisor's 'burial', which consisted of his body being dumped down into the swamp to the northwest. "I will bring up your concerns to the king when he returns, Elder." she answered.

----------

"Yes, those weapons should do." King Usata II muttered to himself after the fifth day of practice with the bows. He would order them for the scouts he had planned to train for a while now. As he returned to his'palace', he looked on the leaf that Weshol had given him. It seemed that the scientist had far too many ideas, from using the swamp oles, over reviving some ancient tactics mentioned in the old stories and improving the growers' magic techniques to finding better materials to work with. Apparently, Weshol considered the nearby mountains important for the latter, and had suggested gathering some rock from there. Usata II shuddered a bit at the dryness of the mountains, but it wasn't like it would kill the gatherers.

----------

A few days later, King Usata watched as the library slowly neared completion. Weshol was excited about the possibilities, but the king felt that he had to give him more morbid directions first. Elder Avrish was right, something had to be done about the burials. So much to do, so little time to do it all.

OOC Actions:

Herds: 1 Swamp Ole herd
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2010, 03:39:28 am »

"Do you ever think that the people running our research are morons?" "All the time" near the center of town, not far from the city hall, there is a restaurant, that takes fresh produce from the new farms and meat from the hunter lounges. It is a popular haunt amongst the citizens, and today Thorith and Roland were amongst the patrons. "It seems like we've only gotten this far because of luck" Said Thorith, moving pieces of his meal around a plate. "I hate having to rely on luck" Roland looked up from his own meal "Your leadership has helped this city more than dumb luck" "Sure, but what's stopping a bunch of marauders from walking in and destroying everything?" "a bunch of guys with pointy sticks" said Roland lightly, chuckling as he dug into his meat pie. Thorith mind began to whirl "Roland, you're a genius" he said, as he left and headed for his office "About time someone said it"

Spoiler: Budget (click to show/hide)

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 05:16:44 pm »

As always there was much work to do, the fields to plow and goods to make the people were kept busy and were protected by the warriors.

This year a squad of canoes was made by a work gang headed up by Master Sz'har, to explore farther up the river than ever before. They would carry some landwalkers and The Wayfinder. To try to find new peoples was their mission.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 05:43:06 pm »

Governor Thule turned.

"So what is it you want, boy?"

The young kimana replied, "wood, sir. For the horse pasture."

"Very well, then, wood for the hor- I'm sorry, for the horse what?"

"The pasture, sir. We'll have a practically infinite number of horses."

"And the resource drain on us?"

"Virtually none compared to the benefits."

"Very well then. Begin building your pasture. I will continue building our empire."

Thule looked over his notes. Formations, training schedules, potential recruits... building an army was a hard work, but necessary for the safety of his people.

And of course, he would have to make them happy. Some clothing was in order. And possibly a few more pubs. Pubs were always good.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Spoiler: Turn Actions (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:50:27 pm by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2010, 03:04:07 pm »

Apocrita: Year One
Roleplay Pending

Labor: 11
Food Cost: 11
Population: 11,000

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2010, 07:44:55 pm »

Spoiler: Neyvn's Tahark Horde (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:05:05 am by Nirur Torir »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2010, 10:28:03 am »

"'And thus, the human army approached, and it was then that the warriors remembered the Queen's instructions, and they started croaking at the top of their lungs. And the warriors raised such noise that the humans stopped dead in their assault, terrified of the sounds they heard from the warriors. Thus it came to be that the warriors charged at the demoralized army, and...'"

One of the children listening to Virtish's reading of 'The Deafening Croakers' piped up, chirping a question. Virtish had gotten used to this by now, though he wished that they would ask an actual storyteller, not a clothesmaker who liked to read. At least, he could answer most questions. 'What's an army?', they'd ask, or 'So humans are evil?', to 'So if humans aren't evil, why were we fighting them?' and 'Are we evil?'. But this question, he wasn't sure how to answer. "So why didn't we croak away those raiders a few years ago?" Young Iwash had asked, having lost five of her siblings in that attack.

"I'm... I think that... we couldn't." - "Why? It's simple croaking, isn't it?" - "No, I don't think that it's that simple. I think it's how you croak that matters. And it isn't easy to croak exactly right. Maybe you croak too early, and your efforts are wasted. I guess that's possible. And, well, you heard how garbled the Queen's instructions were delivered in this story, and they're useless to us now. Maybe there's even a tiny bit of magic in those croaks."

Of course, with that explanation, the children all started chattering. Virtish nodded, realizing he wouldn't be able to finish this story today. "Couldn't we ask Weshol or the King to see what they think?" - "Or Awenshen, she's good at croaking!" - "My father's better at croaking!" ...

----------

The lead builder looked at the plans Weshol had drawn up for the tombs, and nodded. They were supposed to build that within the year? Sure, it was possible... but everything was already beginning to feel overwhelming. Fast-paced. Overcrowded. Maybe he should petition to the king about that.

----------

"Yes, Sanish, I understand your concerns. The armor would help the warriors. I fully intend for the warriors to receive armor. We simply can't outfit both the scouts and the warriors with armor immediately." - "My Lord, as I understand you, you do not plan to send out the scouts for a while, anyway. Until they do move out, shouldn't we get the armor?" - "I... suppose that is reasonable. I'm sorry, Sanish. I'm not sure what I was thinking."

----------

In the library, Weshol and other sages were trying to make sense of the details in 'The Deafening Croakers', unaware that elsewhere, the same story had caused a small ruckus. Weshol figured that a lot of information had been lost over the ages, but hoped that the story might still contain enough correct parts that the secrets of the deafening croakers might be salvageable. By Weshol's request, several more sages turned to the ways of rangers and scouts, researching wilderness survival and navigation.

OOC actions

Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2010, 02:00:20 pm »

Hunters hunt, Farmers Farm, the Horse herds grow and buildings rise. Time once again passes for the Tarhark Warcamp. Instead of the usual 3000 that would leave the Warcamp time and time again, only 2000 left to hunt the woods, But food was still apenty from their work...

Labour 1 \ Forest Tile 4 \ +2Food +1Wood
Labour 2 \ Forest/River Tile 6 \ +3Food +1Wood

The Fields grow better and better over each year, crops not planted at the ripest time for the healthest harvest, but even then it seems that its the same amount of food time over again and again. But at least it feeds them...

Labour 3 \ Plains/River Tile 5 \ +3Food +  1 Horse
Labour 4 \ Plains/River Tile 14 \ +3Food +  1 Horse

Once again hunters head to the hills to look for those animals found the year before, but instead of killing them, they discovered that they could just guide the animals where they wanted them to go, it was hard work with such area open, but at the same time it was easier. In fact Builders left, bringing with them Horses to both round up and bring the material, to build pastures much like the horse farms for these creatures in an attempt to herd them together...

Labour 5 \ Hills Tile 1 \ +1 Food +1 Wool
Labour 6,7 \ Hills Tile 1 \ Build Animal Pastures \ -1 Wood -2 Horses

Meanwhile in the Warcamp, a Building was erected near the Main Tent, constructed of wood it would be the first part of the new Granary that was to be constucted, it seemed that smoking meat allowed it to last longer then normal, even over years...

Labour 8,9 \ Warcamp Guta \ Build Granary (Smokehouse) \ -2 Wood

At the Learning Hall, a few Horses had been brought to the small fenced in area nearby, over and over again, the beasts threw their attempted riders off much to the amusment of those that watched, a few would hop the fence to show how it was done before they two where thrown from the animal...

The laughter continued untill the Warleader and Pathfinder approched the corral...

Labour 10,11,12 \ Warcamp Guta \ Learning Hall \ Horse Riding

Elsewhere the Archers tried on their new armour...

Tahark Archers \ Warcamp Guta \ Equip Armour \ -1 Leather Armour
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4