Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mayday graphics for Mac  (Read 819 times)

Dwarven Engineer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mayday graphics for Mac
« on: January 29, 2010, 10:16:23 pm »

Hey all,
Ive been trying to get the latest version of DF for Mac running with mayday graphics (DFG21).  It seems that the program has some kind of trouble running after I switch out all the art and raw data (obviously because the Mac doesn't look at it the same way a PC does).  I tried changing all the images to BMP since mayday usually posts in PNG.  Didn't seem to work there.  I also tried changing the graphics_example.txt and still didnt get any progress.  Im not sure what it is exactly but either I will open the program and get just a black screen with no words or picture, or when I click create new world now, the program will just shut itself down.  Has anyone with a Mac tried to incorporate mayday graphics and gotten it to work? If so let me know how you did it.  I basically just used the step by step process mayday listed on the site where you get the graphics upgrade and a few programming tricks of my own, so if you know of any way let me know. Thanks

Note that the Mac is an old one, still running Tiger rather than Leopard

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
Re: Mayday graphics for Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 11:03:16 pm »

I have no idea how macs work compared to windows, so I can't help you there.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 11:26:58 pm »

You used that?
http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/DFGtutorial.php

upd:damn, i am tired, you probably did...sry.
imo, it looks like wrong init.txt,
mayday.xxx is not loading.

btw, what's wrong with png and mac?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 11:37:40 pm by xoen »

Dwarven Engineer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 03:34:40 am »

Apparently the way Mac looks at a png file is significantly different that Windows or Linux.  Instead of Mac looking at it as a series of solid points that create a file, it looks at it like it is one solid piece.  So, the file has to be in BMP format appartently, so that the Mac can disassemble all the different icons into the correct forms...

And yeah, that was the mayday file I used, alone at first, then with a few of my own additions, hoping I could get it to work.  Still no luck, Ill keep trying.  If anyone figures anything out let me know.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 09:17:19 pm »

Somebody needs to convert DFG tiles to GIF and upload it to the file depot. I'd do it, but I'm too lazy.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...