Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Good RPGs / RPGs with Changing Character Looks  (Read 2066 times)

Pathos

Good RPGs / RPGs with Changing Character Looks
« on: January 29, 2010, 09:49:56 pm »

So, yes, it always REALLY bothers me when my character's looks don't change when their equipment changes / doesn't change over time ( god damn it JRPGs ), and I was wondering if anyone knew of any RPGs in which their equipment DOES change.

Also, general good RPGs would be welcomed, even if they don't match the mentioned feature.

RPGs with changing looks that I know of:
Baldur's Gate ( all of them )
Icewind Dale ( both of them )
Planescape
Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscurum
Knights of the Old Republic I & II ( glory to the world for being able to get KotOR running on Vista )
Fallout 1,2 and 3
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Elder Scrolls
Diablo I & II
Torchlight
Pretty much any other Diablo rip off

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good RPGs / RPGs with Changing Character Looks
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 11:56:06 pm »

Ys - The Oath in Felghana

PC game by Falcom which you need a special english patch for. It's pretty and fun and fucking hard on normal.

Pathos

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 02:25:39 am »

Ys - The Oath in Felghana

PC game by Falcom which you need a special english patch for. It's pretty and fun and fucking hard on normal.

A JRPG too? I am intrigued.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 12:30:00 pm »

Yes and no. It's a JRPG in the style of a 3D platformer/Hack-n-slash, with 2D sprites.

Kind of like Soul Blazer for the SNES with a third dimension, and without the city building/people freeing aspect. The armor and magic system are nearly identical to Crystalis, too.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 12:39:58 pm »

The Temple of Elemental Evil. Like Icewind Dale except its more faithful to 3.5 rules, and far more fun aswell, In my opinion. You can build your whole team (or even go solo if you want a challenge), and every single equipment except for rings, amulets and maybe belts affect your character's looks. You have 5 races or so to choose from aswell, and can set your character's height, hair colour-style, etc.

The character sprites are also some of the best I've ever seen, the animations flow very smoothly. One of my favorites is the sneaking one.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 12:43:00 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 12:47:58 pm »

Mabinogi fits those specifications, though I can't comment on quality.
You can start your character at the age of 10, they'll actually look that age, and "grow up" until they hit 18, at which point they won't change anymore.  And of course your clothes actually show up.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 12:50:10 pm »

APB, when it's released. =p

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 02:19:19 pm »

The Temple of Elemental Evil. Like Icewind Dale except its more faithful to 3.5 rules, and far more fun aswell, In my opinion. You can build your whole team (or even go solo if you want a challenge), and every single equipment except for rings, amulets and maybe belts affect your character's looks. You have 5 races or so to choose from aswell, and can set your character's height, hair colour-style, etc.

The character sprites are also some of the best I've ever seen, the animations flow very smoothly. One of my favorites is the sneaking one.

I'm surprised you didn't mention that this game is, in fact, unplayable without at least two patches, and even then it's bugged to all get out.

It is a frustrating game to get running if you didn't already know that it has problems without the patches.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 02:24:19 pm »

The Witcher. Maybe I'm biased because I'm playing it right now, but damnit it's an awesome game.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 03:06:20 pm »

Mount & Blade, although hardly an RPG (more of an Action RPG/Strategy hybrid).
Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome, indie RPG.
Age of Decadence (combat demo), indie RPG.
IVAN, graphical rogue-like.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 03:10:56 pm »

Check out Elona, currently discussed in the topic below this one.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 01:25:11 am »

The Gothic series

Two Worlds

Dragon Age and every other Bioware game you did not list

All major U.S. MMOs, WoW, Ultima Online ect

Grand Theft Auto series, which may not be a true RPG, but is a heavy action slight RPG

The Guild 1400 and the Guild 2, sim/rpg game

Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 06:57:28 am »

Heh, I'd hardly put Baldur's Gate, Fallout or Diablo on that list. I do play NWN (both), ToEE, IVAN, and Dungeon Siege solely to watch them change clothes, though.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 07:15:40 am »

or Diablo
Sorry, what? I can agree that BG and Fallout have not too much sprites (although more than enough for the amount of armor so it's not an issue), but Diablo II was always famous for it's different looking equipment, and it held the n1 on that aspect for a looong time.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 02:02:21 pm »

or Diablo
Sorry, what? I can agree that BG and Fallout have not too much sprites (although more than enough for the amount of armor so it's not an issue), but Diablo II was always famous for it's different looking equipment, and it held the n1 on that aspect for a looong time.

You really have to squint to see them. The equipment is quite generic. And every Diablo clone does it much better than Diablo II. It's good for back then, I suppose. But I don't really get any fun out of it. Unlike in Temple of Elemental Evil or Dungeon Siege, where you can actually brag about how they look.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: [1] 2