Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Player control during arena  (Read 3744 times)

wehll

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer stunned.
    • View Profile
Re: Player control during arena
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 09:31:05 am »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 03:56:27 pm »

I'm still a little unclear on the arena....will it function within DF or be a separate mode all its own?

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2010, 04:01:52 pm »

It is its own mode, that uses raws from a region folder. It won't be used in adventure or fortress mode.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 04:02:37 pm »

I'm still a little unclear on the arena....will it function within DF or be a separate mode all its own?

Anyone who isn't sure what arena mode is or how it works should check out the arena mode screenshots.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 04:58:01 pm »

I'm crystal now, thanks. Thought that other like you posted Foot was the SS's from the Google doc.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2010, 04:30:23 am »

See, now we're going to have to start having the adventure forum pit fights, pitting combatants against each other and betting on the outcome. Huh...I might actually start a thread for that.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2010, 07:05:32 am »

See, now we're going to have to start having the adventure forum pit fights, pitting combatants against each other and betting on the outcome. Huh...I might actually start a thread for that.
People could submit their own modded creatures, and have them fight.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 12:13:13 am »

Yer like a tournament.But their might be like a point limit and each tags cost a certain amount of points and damages of attacks cost points as well. Dang someone should make a topic like the when the new DF comes out.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 12:55:11 am »

Yer like a tournament.But their might be like a point limit and each tags cost a certain amount of points and damages of attacks cost points as well. Dang someone should make a topic like the when the new DF comes out.

I'll do that. I was going to experiment heavily with the arena anyways so setting up a good old fashion pit fight should be easy. We'll just have to decide on a point system that is balanced.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2010, 01:26:39 am »

The first thing i'm gonna do when i get my hands on arena mode is have a squad of giants vs a squad of cyclopes, all kitted out with steel equipment. Then i'm going to plunk down a bunch of giants, cyclopes, minotaurs and collosi with equipment and let them have a free for all.

It will be glorious.  :D
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2010, 02:05:04 am »

will there be spawners? i wanna have a goblin team vs elf team fight , with both sides respawning lost soldiers

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
  • [SELECT_SYMBOL:UNTOWARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2010, 02:11:44 am »

Well, spawners yes. That's called the "c" key.

AUTOspawners are a different matter entirely. I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark and say no, since Arenamode was more for testing the strength of created creatures when and when not possibly coupled with certain equipment, and not explicitly created for the enjoyment of a bloodbath and watching little 2's fly everywhere. Though, that reason will be a close second to the original reason it was created... I'm unsure on the flexibility of Arena Mode, but I'm sure there would be a way to code a program in that keeps tabs on the entities created inside the arena and their equipment, and creates a new one at a designated spot when said entity dies.

Urist McWounded has created a microcline bucket, on the bucket is an image of Urist, Urist is surrounded by the dwarves, Urist is wasting away, The dwarves are working, The bucket is empty.  On the bucket is an image of Urists third finger in dwarf bone.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2010, 05:49:21 pm »

Eventually, it'll be a sandbox mode for a sandbox game. Oh god.

Anyways, it'll be awesome as he adds more to it.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2010, 05:59:08 pm »

Well, spawners yes. That's called the "c" key.

AUTOspawners are a different matter entirely. I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark and say no, since Arenamode was more for testing the strength of created creatures when and when not possibly coupled with certain equipment, and not explicitly created for the enjoyment of a bloodbath and watching little 2's fly everywhere. Though, that reason will be a close second to the original reason it was created... I'm unsure on the flexibility of Arena Mode, but I'm sure there would be a way to code a program in that keeps tabs on the entities created inside the arena and their equipment, and creates a new one at a designated spot when said entity dies.

You could also just record the key strokes needed to generate creatures as a macro, then run the macro every few deaths.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
  • [SELECT_SYMBOL:UNTOWARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2010, 06:06:34 pm »

Of course you could, but that defeats the entire purpose of it being called AUTO. As in Automatic. As in you don't need to do anything yourself except turn it on.

Urist McWounded has created a microcline bucket, on the bucket is an image of Urist, Urist is surrounded by the dwarves, Urist is wasting away, The dwarves are working, The bucket is empty.  On the bucket is an image of Urists third finger in dwarf bone.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4