Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 225

Author Topic: Slavehack - protect your IP!  (Read 352343 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slavehack - protect your IP!
« Reply #705 on: February 02, 2010, 11:21:47 am »

What would you do if you did notice it? reformat?

What is the draw of this game btw? I played it for a bit, not very long to be fair, but I just found I wasn't really doing much just connecting and downloading. Don't think I got hacked, or at least my stuff is still there, but I guess it's possible my system is full of viruses.

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: February 02, 2010, 11:27:54 am »

Doesn anyone else find it kind of funny when you bump into an NPC with a higher level AV than most of the viruses on it? I always run the AV when I do.

Seen that once.  0.7 AV and mostly 0.3 and 0.4 viruses.  I ran the AV and then uploaded my virus (only a 0.7, so it could be cleaned off by that AV, but hey, I annoyed a bunch of people).

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 02, 2010, 11:39:09 am »

Well, I have a high level antivirus, so I am saying that to hide a virus on me will require deleting a file(very noticable), it would get caught by the antivirus when I run it, or it would cause a noticable increase in drive usage if it was too good for my antivirus.

So what if they changed the strength of your antivirus and then uploaded hidden virus's onto it? I realise this is way beyond what normal players would do, but humour me.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 02, 2010, 11:42:47 am »

So what if they 1) changed the strength of your antivirus and then 2) uploaded hidden virus's onto it?

On point 1 you'd have to first upload, then delete an AV.  This is two actions that you have to clear the log for.
On point 2, you'd then need to upload, run, and hide the virus.  This is three additional actions.
Additionally you have to have a hider with greater strength than his seeker and make sure that the virus you upload has a size equal to the size difference between the two AV files while still being a greater version number than the new AV.

This would be tricky at best.

And he'd probably still notice that his AV version number went down.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 02, 2010, 11:46:09 am »

So what if they 1) changed the strength of your antivirus and then 2) uploaded hidden virus's onto it?

On point 1 you'd have to first upload, then delete an AV.  This is two actions that you have to clear the log for.
On point 2, you'd then need to upload, run, and hide the virus.  This is three additional actions.
Additionally you have to have a hider with greater strength than his seeker and make sure that the virus you upload has a size equal to the size difference between the two AV files while still being a greater version number than the new AV.

This would be tricky at best.

And he'd probably still notice that his AV version number went down.

The version number isn't the most notable thing.

Anyway, I just got wiped, my entire harddrive deleted, and I only had a 0.7 strength antivirus on my drive so I decided to reformat.

Any of you guys want to give me a hand in getting me back on track with some files? I can send around my IP after I change it.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

Berserker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 02, 2010, 12:03:41 pm »

Anyway, I just got wiped, my entire harddrive deleted, and I only had a 0.7 strength antivirus on my drive so I decided to reformat.

Any of you guys want to give me a hand in getting me back on track with some files? I can send around my IP after I change it.

I have 1.3 waterwall, 1.1 firewall, 5.0 seeker, 0.8 hider and some other things, just PM your IP and I'll start sending.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 02, 2010, 12:16:34 pm »

183.217.196.88 <

I GOT HIM!

Come on guys, do your worst to him. If that's anyone else from here, speak up sharpish.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #712 on: February 02, 2010, 12:31:08 pm »

5.0 seeker?

Also, unrelated:
I have started writing programs to help.

So far, all I have is an unescaper, to restore log art to it's former glory when I come across some.

Next I should probably make one that strips known NPC IPs and returns a list of the rest, parsing a log or something.

And maybe ones that convert between fixed width (zero padded) octets and back.

Also:
Neither my IP, nor any on my list so far. My list is a growning network of non-NPC and unknown-if-NPC IPs, mostly newish players.

Already found a cute setup, with one newbish player stealing the bank of another, hand being decently virused by another newish but better player.
Eh?
Eh!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #713 on: February 02, 2010, 12:40:23 pm »

I've found that this is a great game to play while flying long distances in EVE-Online.

Berserker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 02, 2010, 12:44:49 pm »

5.0 seeker?

Yes, I was lucky to find it, and it took me over 3 hours to download it, because it's 3.0 GB

Now I don't need to worry about hidden viruses.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 02, 2010, 12:46:45 pm »

5.0 seeker?

Yes, I was lucky to find it, and it took me over 3 hours to download it, because it's 3.0 GB

Unless someone deletes it... You do have it backed up on your external harddrive right?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #716 on: February 02, 2010, 12:47:11 pm »

5.0 seeker?

Unless someone deletes it... You do have it backed up on your external harddrive right?

At 3GB? I doubt it...

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #717 on: February 02, 2010, 12:52:19 pm »

Pity I don't have space for it, else I could "mirror" ;) it for you. Only ~2.8 GB free space...
Eh?
Eh!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 02, 2010, 12:55:43 pm »

I'd rather have a souped up firewall than a souped up virus scanner. Better to keep em out.

Camping is kind of fun, beats paying attention in class.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: February 02, 2010, 12:56:40 pm »

My list is a growning network of non-NPC and unknown-if-NPC IPs, mostly newish players.

Yeah, I keep making more detailed notes about IPs as I go along.  My network isn't huge, but I've got a huge list of known IPs (my list of 25 unchecked IPs got condensed yesterday down to about 3 good ones and 6 I didn't get to after trimming out 2 duplicates and 4 known NPCs).  If I had more time in the mornings I'd toss viri on the NPCs for cash accumulation during the day, as they reset only two hours after I got to bed (making evening infection pointless).

Anyway, my Excel sheet notes consist of an alphabetized list of IP addresses with passwords (blank for ones that have fallen off my slaves list), in horizontally adjacent cells I list important software.  If the IP has a firewall I can't get past I put "(firewall)" and the rating of my current waterwall in the password column, so (firewall 0.9+).  NPCs I've highlighted in a faint yellow.

To-be-investigated IPs are in a second list, sorted and trimmed of duplicates and known IPs.

I have a third list for the IPs that DDoS'd 127.0.0.1, which I have good reason to assume are equally well protected and known that their firewall is at least rating 1.0 (as I can't break in).  So when I upgrade waterwalls I hit the first in that list and treat the entire block as the same hackability.

I have a fourth list of bank account #s which I take 2 cracks at once a day (not willing to waste too much time breaking in).

In a fifth list I've been writing down the clues to the "plot" NPCs, I'm stuck on 3 of the addresses, the math one (#2 and #3) and the "I have one server at:" one.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 225