Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 225

Author Topic: Slavehack - protect your IP!  (Read 352269 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Slavehack - protect your IP!
« Reply #2640 on: July 25, 2011, 10:23:04 am »

The issue with letting virii be on your hard drive is you are in someones slave list and they can be logged into you. Normally by the time you have a virus on your hard drive though, your bank accounts have been stolen and your list of slaves.
You go on someone's slave list the instant they crack your computer, it doesn't matter if they put a virus on you or not.
But you can change your Ip then, not if they have a virus on you.
If you change your IP while someone has a virus on your drive, you are still removed from their slave list.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: July 25, 2011, 02:08:17 pm »

Well, I thought I'd give this a try last night, and it was OK the first few hours.  But now I'm *this* close to rage quitting from that stupid bloody bot check and the random 20 second freezes, both of which seem to happen ONLY when I'm trying to clear a log.   

I dunno, I'll give it another day or 2 but waiting long chunks of time for software downloads and making and hand checking lists of numbers is frighteningly too much like work :p

Also if you just made a "Warez" directory and recently got wwl 1.9 - I'm in ur PC copyin ur files :lol:

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: July 25, 2011, 02:25:58 pm »

I dunno, I'll give it another day or 2 but waiting long chunks of time for software downloads and making and hand checking lists of numbers is frighteningly too much like work :p

Upgrade your connection speed.

If you can't because you don't have money, get a NPC list and slave ALL the npcs (except maybe the banks, 1.1.1.1, and npcs with AV). You will get cash. Fast.

EDIT: I am lonely on the IRC. If you want the password and channel name, PM me and I'll send it to you.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 02:31:35 pm by Mono124 »
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: July 25, 2011, 02:38:01 pm »

Yea, I'm saving up to jump a couple of speeds - may have been a bad idea since the 1.0+ stuff is taking sooooooo long.  It looked like there's no money back from selling a slower connection?  So I wanted to go as high as I could by this evening.  I can just go do something else for a few hours,  I'm still getting $600 an hour even with half my spambots gone - and I have a nice big list of IPs to get to from looking in logs, but bleh "install virus" 20x a day is already looking old :p

Heh heh got your bank acct # too mr Warez-directory.  This part *is* a little fun I must admit...

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: July 25, 2011, 02:45:36 pm »

It's actually:

Install virus (every 24 hours, aprox) = (Number of NPC slaves)(3)+(Number of VPC slaves that run AV)+(Number of new VPCs)+(Number of new NPCs within first 8 hours)(2)+(Number of NPCs between 8-16 hours)+(Number of NPCs between 16-24 hours)

I think. I mean, don't NPC's reset every 8 hours? Not all of them reset at once, but each has it's own timer? I seem to upload virii like crazy trying to maintain a 100 or so slave pool, and I have sort of given up on maintaining NPCs.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: July 25, 2011, 02:56:08 pm »

Heh I didn't even want to think of that, even seeing the list of 160+ NPCs :p   I will play a bit suboptimally to not burn out day 2 - and to not leave my IP hanging out there tooooo much while I still get used to timing the log edit.  I had it hanging in a NPC logfile for 10+ minutes because I didn't quite do the Processes right.

PM sent btw, killing time here too.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: July 25, 2011, 03:04:01 pm »

I'm saving up to jump a couple of speeds

Kind of not recommended because the odds of your bank account being hacked are moderately high. You can reduce the risk by avoiding account transfers, but if somebody happens to be logged onto your system when you collect money from your slaves, they'll see the account number and probably clean it out.

It looked like there's no money back from selling a slower connection?

There appears to be a trade-in value for everything except connection speed. But the numbers are very small. Probably 30-50 euros for starter hardware. A few thousand for hardware that costs millions.

"install virus" 20x a day is already looking old

don't NPC's reset every 8 hours?

I haven't timed it, but after the very early stages of the game it seems to rapidly become pointless putting viruses on npc systems. Try camping the logs of some of the early-game npc systems for player IPs, then install viruses on them and hide them. They will probably last longer. I have some slaves that I've kept for 3 or 4 days.

Mono124

By the way, Mono, if you want to beat me...you'd better hurry. I'm about to log out, but probably next time I play I'll be maxxed.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: July 25, 2011, 03:13:05 pm »

Haha and here it goes - some dude deleted my waterwalls and virus scans, oh and my biggest skr.  Yeah maybe it is time for the upgrade to whatever speed I can get right now.   On money xfers I have been *pretty* careful to do the simultaneous log-edit, still, there's definitely a window.  I got Mr Warez-directory's IP then bank account info by refreshing now and then,  no reason I would be immune especially with a few noob screw-ups here and there...

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: July 25, 2011, 03:16:53 pm »

"install virus" 20x a day is already looking old

don't NPC's reset every 8 hours?

I haven't timed it, but after the very early stages of the game it seems to rapidly become pointless putting viruses on npc systems. Try camping the logs of some of the early-game npc systems for player IPs, then install viruses on them and hide them. They will probably last longer. I have some slaves that I've kept for 3 or 4 days.

Mono124

By the way, Mono, if you want to beat me...you'd better hurry. I'm about to log out, but probably next time I play I'll be maxxed.

Putting virii on NPC systems once you get a 1.5 firewall on is a great way to make cash. You simply log in every 6 hours or so, collect, and reinstall virii on the NPCs that dropped off your list. At a 1.5 firewall you have roughly 40 slaves.

Also, LordBucket, I am being delayed by GS backups. I will probably beat you though (despite my lower level hardware).

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: July 25, 2011, 03:50:18 pm »

A good way to prevent total cash theft is to have a whole bunch of bank accounts. Then, when you collect your money, you do it to only one account each collection, collecting to a different account each collection cycle. Even if they do catch you collecting, they get just 1 cycle worth, rather than your entire cash reserves. The only time everything becomes visible is after a purchase (as it auto-withdraws from all of em), but at that point all but 1 of the listed accounts will be completely empty (it clears them out before withdrawing from the next, rather than withdrawing evenly or anything).

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: July 26, 2011, 12:07:14 am »

I have found out the power of warez.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: July 26, 2011, 01:38:26 am »

I have found out the power of warez.
The downside is only that they take more time to set up if your target doesn't already have a .rip on their machine. It's a pretty awesome virus.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: July 26, 2011, 10:59:40 am »

Well I always upload the .7 .rip anyway, cause you get the most from it.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: July 26, 2011, 11:31:40 am »

How does the cash compare?  I did a few warez but haven't sat down to compare cash incomes - I guess I should get systematic and compare incomes, and analyze all the targets to see their stats - maybe someday :p

Also WOW what a difference parallel processes makes to the tedium level, I had only been doing them on one host at a time but now I *think* I have it down to where I can do 6-8-10 at a time on as many targets and come back in 2-3 hours to install the viruses.  Downside:  Requires a 2nd login to each host, but oh well.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: July 26, 2011, 02:31:06 pm »

Mono124:
Also, LordBucket, I am being delayed by GS backups.
I will probably beat you though (despite my lower level hardware).

I now have waterwall 5.7.

Last couple bounced back and forth between fast and slow. Even with maxxed hardware, some of those waterwalls took ~40 minutes to download. Then later ones took only a few minutes. Then 30-40 minutes again. Very inconsistent. I don't expect the 40 minute downloads would be much fun on a slower connection.

gimlet:
How does the cash compare?

Here's a chart. Warez is typically better on high end machines. Mail spam is typically better on lower end machines, but it depends on how it's been upgraded.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 225