Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 225

Author Topic: Slavehack - protect your IP!  (Read 352477 times)

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
Re: Slavehack - protect your IP!
« Reply #2295 on: July 21, 2011, 11:38:00 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:35:13 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: July 21, 2011, 11:41:13 am »

I have the .2 going from .2->.3 is actually 5k. When you get up to 1 wwl you won't be able to put anything else on a .2
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: July 21, 2011, 11:43:37 am »

I don't think installing someone else's virus works, I've tried that when finding higher level viruses than mine that were uninstalled, lol
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: July 21, 2011, 11:45:46 am »

Do you have the mail client needed to collect from them?
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: July 21, 2011, 11:49:27 am »

That might be it :P

I need to upgrade my techs... I'm still using the 0.2 finder/hider, .5 firewall, though I found a 0.7 waterwall.
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: July 21, 2011, 11:51:08 am »

Do you have the mail client needed to collect from them?
I do.

I'm honestly not sure what's going on, because some of these NPCs have eight or nine viruses of the same name on them already. Yet I can't even upload my own.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: July 21, 2011, 11:52:06 am »

I ran into the same issue. You are using the .3 virus aren't you?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: July 21, 2011, 11:53:11 am »

Uh...I'm using the beginner virus. So...yeah, the .3 virus.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: July 21, 2011, 11:53:16 am »

They could have a thousand and it'd be no problem.

There must be an uninstalled and/or hidden virus on there keeping you from installing yours.

If what I read on the forum is true, then using a high-level hider to hide uninstalled viruses is a great idea because the more viruses on there of the same sort, the less money you get.

Therefore, a higher-level player may have hidden viruses there so no one can take from the cash pool.

Warez don't affect viruses, but the more viruses the less cash made per each individual.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: July 21, 2011, 12:02:17 pm »

Ah, that might explain it then. Thanks.

Right now I'm just going around upgrading my software and planting spam viruses wherever it seems safe enough to do so as I go. So if I can't drop the virus somewhere for that reason it's no biggy :P

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: July 21, 2011, 12:06:10 pm »

Make use of instant log erasing.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: July 21, 2011, 12:08:52 pm »

You can instant log erase?
How is this done?

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: July 21, 2011, 12:15:00 pm »

Well it's not "instant". Que up processes. Que up a log erase by editing the log when you don't have any of your info in it. Leave the page before it finishes. Then go upload virii or what have you, and leave page before it finishes. Go to processes AFTER they have both finished, and open new tabs in the order you want them done (install virus, log edit) and they will be done as soon as you click.

I normally:
Log On -> Edit Log -> Edit Log (Que) -> Upload Virii (Que) -> Upload Virii + Edit Log -> Edit Log (Que) -> Install Virii (Que) -> Install Virii + Edit Log -> Edit Log (Que) -> Hide Virii (Que) -> Hide Virii + Edit Log

Make sure to double check your log erased.. or embarrassing moments may occur.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: July 21, 2011, 12:33:46 pm »

Option 1: Put on the highest level virus that is practical for you to upload, and hide it with the highest level hider you can find. So long as you have a virus on a system, you'll be able to follow it through IP changes. Then, leave them alone. It doesn't hurt people much to have your virus on their system. Takes up some space, but not much. If you don't hide or delete their files, they don't have a lot of incentive to go out of their way to remove your virus. If they can't see it because it's hidden too well, they might not run a virus scan. If it's a high level virus, they might not have a high enough scanner to get rid of it anway.
This this this.

There's no incentive for new players to reset if they don't know there's a virus on them. Absolutely none. 4 time out of 5, a hacker only wants to put a cash virus on you to get money, nothing more.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: July 21, 2011, 12:34:09 pm »

Also, is it really worth updating the external drive early on?

See this post. Short answer: no.

Occasionally when attempting to slave other players, it will tell me that my .vspam is a duplicate.
I think that simply means that they already have the virus you're uploading. So don't bother to upload one. Use theirs.

Am I suppose to delete viruses on their behalf if I want to make money off of them?
It's not necessary, but total virus profit is divided by the number of active viruses, so you might make more if you do run an AV. Whether this is worth the time and effort is debatable, but it is an option.

To remove other people's virii you'll need to run an antivirus of suitable level. Upload your own if your target doesn't have one. Note that doing so will remove your virus too, so run the AV before you install your virus.

I don't think installing someone else's virus works
I've done it. It does work. It just has to be an inactive virus. White splotchy circle that you can click on = virus that you can install. Upside-down V in a red box that you can't click on = virus that it installed and active.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 225