Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold trappers  (Read 1082 times)

Thanshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kobold trappers
« on: January 29, 2010, 07:00:23 am »

With a very simple algorithm.

1 - Go towards the dwarves fortress until they see a dwarf
2 - Wait for a while until he goes away and then go to his last position to lay a trap.
3 - Wait for the dwarf to step on the trap and steal from corpse (or the corpse itself).

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold trappers
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:50:59 pm »

Neat, but to overcomplicate things ;D, what about kobolds that set traps to incapacitate without killing.  For example some kind of container trap that stuffs the dwarf in a net/bag/feet bindings, which then allows the kobolds to kidnap fully grown dwarves.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 12:08:24 am »

So, kind of like Giant Cave Spider webs, but not sprayed everywhere, just one dropped every so often when it sees a dwarf?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 01:58:40 am »

Why would kobolds even want lone adult dwarves, if not to run off with that pretty *<*Giant Cave Spider Silk Sock*>*?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 04:23:14 pm »

Why would kobolds even want lone adult dwarves, if not to run off with that pretty *<*Giant Cave Spider Silk Sock*>*?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, dwarves are delicious and moist, just ask the elves.

Actually the kobolds' raws suggest they hate cannibalism, so kidnapping a dwarf would be done for interrogation or torture, or just torture since there's that inability to speak problem. And could a kobold even carry a dwarf?
I really think if they're setting traps they should be weapon traps meant to kill, so they can run off with all their clothes.
Maybe goblins/any enemy but kobolds could use cage/net traps to kidnap your dwarves, interrogate them, and then base their attack force directly off your population and number of traps, making sure they have at least as many as those combined.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 04:28:15 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 07:50:07 pm »

viewing the size of a kobold vs a dwarf and how the fights go most of the time,the kobolds with have a hard time keeping them in the bag.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 06:13:05 pm »

Perhaps the trap could just hang them upsidedown by the ankles whilst the kobolds take all their stuff?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 12:43:20 am »

I like the idea of a trap that momentarily incapacitates him, so the kobold can grab his boots and run like crazy.  He gets a bad thought, finds some new boots and goes back to work.  Maybe it could be a sort of poison gas trap, or even just a blowdart the kobold shoots him with from hiding.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Ankheg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chasing the Sunset
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 08:33:55 am »

Perhaps the trap could just hang them upsidedown by the ankles whilst the kobolds take all their stuff?

I doubt the kobold would really want to approach a furious, upside-down dwarf swinging an axe madly around himself.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 08:50:48 am »

well there is dwarves without weaponry...
but this way you'd kinda force your dwarves even more to the inside of a fortress, i generally like having my dwarves on the outside

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 01:00:56 pm »

Outside-dwelling dwarves are undwarvenly dwarves.

I think I'd prefer small (2-3) kidnapping teams of kobolds.
They'd place a net trap, and then wait for it to catch someone. Afterwards they'll either kill, maim or take the captured dwarf off. (If they're not killed by it.)

I think a strong enough victim, or one with a sharp item with them (knife, shortsword, you name it) should also be able to free themselves.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 02:08:32 pm »

if the Kobold attack them useing fist/clubs/nets and wrestling till thay past a test:
i.e. knocked out /stund or pinned for x time so the dwarf is over powered some how.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 03:58:23 pm »

Can attacks be aimed as of right now?  Some kind of trap that utilizes blunt force to the dwarf's cranium would be fun.  Whether or not the dwarf survives would be iffy and totally random, which is good  ;D.