Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Last Dwarves  (Read 1075 times)

SugaSuga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Last Dwarves
« on: January 28, 2010, 09:42:30 pm »

What do i have to do to the raws so my starting seven can be the last (or first) dwarves? (as in no migrants)

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Last Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 09:48:17 pm »

What I gather, you can't prevent immigration completely, but if you set [POPULATION_CAP:10] in your init.txt you won't get more immigrants after you hit 10 adults. A lower number will for whatever reason not prevent immigration, just make it much slower, but a cap of 10 will completely stop immigration past the limit of 10.
If you don't want children born either, set [BABY_CHILD_CAP:0:0] as well.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 09:50:22 pm »

Go to your init.txt file in data/init file. Open that .txt. Press ctrl F to bring up the search box and look for "pop". Should bring you to the [population_cap] which you can set to 7 which makes it so that no dwarves will come unless you have less than 7 dwarves. Else just set it to 0 so then no dwarves come ever.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

SugaSuga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 09:51:59 pm »

What I mean so my guys are the ONLY dwarf civ.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 09:53:35 pm »

Ooooh, so there are no other dwarf civs? Sadly, you really can't do that (I believe). If possible, it is beyond my knowledge.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 09:56:47 pm »

Edit the dwarf entry in the ENTITY tags to reduce their influence, and then keep genning worlds till you get the result you want.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 09:59:05 pm »

Completely nerf the dwarfs and beef up the other races. Then change it back once you get a dwarf-less world. This should help in exterminating the dwarves. If not, just gen a world with nerfed dwarves and kill whatever ones that are left in adventure mode, shouldn't be too too hard.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Pheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 10:33:24 pm »

Change the [MAXAGE:150:170] tag to [MAXAGE:10:11] before world gen. Dwarven civs will be spawned naturally, but they do not reproduce the first generation will reproduce, but the second will not and die in 11-12 years.

The result: the 7 dwarves you embark with are the only ones in the world! (30ish years after world gen)

Don't forget to change the maxage tag back before embark so your dwarves do not have the same fate.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 10:38:19 pm by Pheo »

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 05:33:26 am »

What I did once was edit the entity file for dwarves to make their max population 1. At times though, they somehow managed to recreate(stupid spores), but most often the few dwarves that were got stomped by a megabeast.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 08:56:42 am »

I believe that you can accomplish this by removing the seasons from the Dwarven entity definition, after worldgen.  If an entity definition has no seasons then the caravans never arrive.  It is said that the migrants never arrive if the Liaison never comes, and that happens with the first Dwarven caravan.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 12:10:00 pm »

That's not the same as being the only last seven dwarves in world.

With no dwarven civilization, I recall someone saying you couldn't play Fortress Mode at all, simply after pressing "start game" you couldn't choose Fortress Mode.

Another thing I'm unsure of, will nobles like the kind or DM arrive without a liason? And without a civilization at all? Will your mayor become the king of a new civilization started by your sevens?

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 12:21:58 pm »

Makes sense; part of the process of choosing an embark site is choosing which dwarven civilization you come from, from which also comes your embark supplies.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 12:51:26 pm »

Yet some people claim you can embark without a home civ, while some others say you cannot.

There is a lack of consistency here.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 12:59:03 pm »

The difference is if there CAN be a home civ potentially.  Ie. if there are no Dwarves in a world but the species could exist there (for example, if you used an adventurer to kill off all of the inhabitants of a world), but there's no worldgen parameters preventing their existence, then you'll find that you can still play Fortress mode in a dead world.  However, if the parameters would never allow for a Dwarven civilization to rise, then you can't build a fort with them.
Sanity is for the weak.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 02:32:27 pm »

This succession game might be of interest to you.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46448.0

It's an Age of Death game, and includes the raws used to create an Age of Death world.

Age of Death = No civilizations at all.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."
Pages: [1] 2