Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 988

Author Topic: Bay12 Photo Share! Let's share photos and cool things.  (Read 1635838 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Photo Share! Celebrity look-a-like edition.
« Reply #4065 on: August 31, 2011, 05:08:07 pm »

It's okay.  My posture is even worse, though I'm trying to improve it.  Standing is fine, but I have a really hard time in most chairs.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: August 31, 2011, 05:10:39 pm »

If your butt isn't on the edge and your back isn't touching the corner between the seat and the backrest you are not slouching in your seat goodly enough.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: August 31, 2011, 05:16:32 pm »

If your butt isn't on the edge and your back isn't touching the corner between the seat and the backrest you are not slouching in your seat goodly enough.

The most comfortable position I ever found to sit in a gradeschool desk was slouched so far down my butt wasn't in the seat at all.  My spine was the lowest thing touching the seat, with my knees resting against the seat in front of me, for geometric support.

I keep thinking I ought to throw a picture of myself up here, but "holding the camera in front of a mirror" is the only picture I can get, and they look like crap.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: August 31, 2011, 05:19:33 pm »

I'm not too worried.  I'm also really fidgety and constantly stretching, sitting in non-standard positions, and re-arranging myself.  It seems to me like part of the same class of behaviors as posture... but it's not all bad.  If I sit in one position, especially the traditional one, or don't stretch or whatever for more than a couple minutes, I can literally feel myself begin to stagnate, especially in my joints.  It got me in a lot of trouble when I was a kid, but they never broke me... and my joints are healthier than most people my age that I know, and I'm still somewhat toned, despite no regular exercise over the last few years.  I think so long as I don't allow my back to settle into one slouching position for too long, I shouldn't have any problems with it for a long time.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: August 31, 2011, 05:33:57 pm »

Getting a haircut today.
It is a bit of a shame, because right now I look like the perfect sinister villain, putting Alex Delarge to shame. I just love how well my hair frames my left eye.

Still, before shot, after shot comes later today. We will see how it goes.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: August 31, 2011, 05:35:29 pm »

Happy birthday, Max.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: August 31, 2011, 07:03:01 pm »

Spoiler: Before shot (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: After shot (click to show/hide)

He took a little more off than I expected, but I like it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: August 31, 2011, 10:01:56 pm »

Gotta admit. Haircut was not a bad thing in this case.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: September 01, 2011, 03:49:04 am »

That is a nice haircut.

Picked up new gear today.
Spoiler: huzzah! (click to show/hide)
top: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 studio monitor, 2010
bottom left-right: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, 2003
Grado Prestige Series SR225i, 2011
Koss HV/1A High-Velocity, 1975

These aren't the most crazy audiophile/expensive headphones (modern prices set these around $600 combined), but now I have great sound for almost every mood/genre I'm feeling ^-^

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: September 01, 2011, 04:57:39 am »

Wait, you have a set of headphones for your different moods?
Can't you just have one pair of headphones and let the music or some equalizer set the mood? Do these really differ so much in sound? Is it even possible to have such difference in headphone output when they are all good quality?

I know you audiophiles are going to hate me for not knowing that  :)
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: September 01, 2011, 05:55:16 am »

Wait, you have a set of headphones for your different moods?
Yes, but not all of them. Not listed: various in-ear and headband phones.

Can't you just have one pair of headphones?
Yes/No. I could buy one really nice set of headphones but I don't feel like investing $500+ into headphones that once warranty gives out/shit happens are done and you're screwed, or get lost or stolen. There's also the point of diminishing returns. The difference between $500 and $3000 headphones is much less than the difference between $30 and $200 headphones, although I'm sure some audiophiles would fight me for saying so. Different headphones are like different cars. Sometimes I want one that is powerful, at other times I require sensitivity and nimbleness, sometimes I want one that is able to get down and dirty. I don't really wish to compare headphones to people, but the characteristics are so completely different that you can't just tell people/headphones to act the same and get the same results. Which leads into your next question...

Do these really differ so much in sound? Is it even possible to have such difference in headphone output when they are all good quality?
Yes. For starters, there's bass/mids/high - every headphone has a certain balance between the sound output. Some excel in bass, which makes them good for electronic dance music, hiphop, R&B. Others have tight, strong highs, which is fantastic for vocals and rock music with guitars. There are closed-back and open-back headphones. Closed headphones are typically heavily padded and have thick shells to give good sound isolation, meaning that the sound is kept in and sounds outside are kept out. This is good for producing music, mixing, and DJing. However, this makes the sound feel "closed" and somewhat unnatural, so on the opposite end, open-backed headphones have a tiny or nonexistent light foam padding and you can generally look inside and see the headphone's guts. This simulates how you naturally hear noise from more directions, but unfortunately bleeds your music out and allows sound in. There's Circumaural headphones of which the pads cover the entire ear (tend to be closed back), and Supra-aural which sits on top of the ear. There's comfort and design issues. Everyone has a different taste in sound and music and therefore people will want different headphones.

Going back to the comparison - Say we take 100 different people who are fantastic singers, and tell them to sing the same song, you'll get 100 different variations.

So can't you fix that with just EQ balancing? Somewhat.

EQ balancing is done by warping the strength of the bass/mid/high signals. To use more metaphors, this is done as through "software", but the overall output strength is still very much under the jurisdiction of the "hardware". No amount of software programming is ever going to be able to allow hardware to do something that is not meant or powerful enough to do, although you can make an effort. You can't force a classically trained opera singer to sing metal "well", as it is also difficult to get a rapper to sing cutesy pop music. Grados headphones are renown for rock music and an unique, characteristic high-pitch treble strength (disliked/causes pain for some, others swear by it) that can bring out nuances in voices that you've never heard prior in your music, but I wouldn't want it to blast dance music at me.

Some headphones are good, some bad, some excel in certain areas and genres, while others are balanced (used for composition/monitoring) but unexciting to listen to music on when you really want to get into the music. And some are just plain shit and/or overpriced. *cough* skullcandy/ipod standard earbuds/bose *cough*

I know you audiophiles are going to hate me for not knowing that  :)
I'm not really an audiophile as these are all simplistic explanations meant to educate- and it takes a certain level of pretentiousness to call oneself an audiophile, but I do absolutely love music. I'll also be honest here and point out - good music saved my life.

EDIT: And once you find that first magical set of great music equipment that inspires love, it's impossible to go back to the tripe.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 06:25:27 am by KaelGotDwarves »

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: September 01, 2011, 06:34:59 am »

That's a lot more text than I expected, and very interesting. Guess it's not a simple 'bad - good' scale as I always imagined it to be. Anyway, thanks for the answer!
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: September 01, 2011, 07:07:26 am »

Hehehe, and I didn't even go into earbuds, cables, amps, and speaker/subwoofers! It's also a lark to watch fans of metal or wooden headphone construction duke it out at the high end.

Nothing in life is ever simple, black and white, and in particular cheap->expensive = worst->better. ;) Education and acceptance are key. What works for one person doesn't work for everyone else. I've seen people snub more superior-engineered and $20000 more expensive equipment based on personal preference and/or sentimental/psychological attachment.

You're welcome, just glad to help. I really do have a fetish for headphones and good music...

EDIT: Due to over-proliferation of Grado photos (hmm I wonder what Kael likes) I added some other good brands.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 07:20:57 am by KaelGotDwarves »

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Photo Share! Luffles edition. LUFFLES FOR EVERYONE! :3 *luffleluffleluffle
« Reply #4079 on: September 01, 2011, 07:34:30 am »

I think there's a certain amount of bullshit pretension mixed in with the legitimate difference; one recalls the anecdote where a $300-for-two-metres cable gave the same sound quality as a coat hanger with jackplugs soldered onto the ends, but one also notices the massive difference between shitty earbuds and one's gaming headphones.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 988