Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Being able to build before having the required Item  (Read 1104 times)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Being able to build before having the required Item
« on: January 28, 2010, 08:44:49 pm »

I personally think it should be able to build a workshop if you have the raw materials (the blocks to build  the shop) but you shouldnt need anything besides... I cant build a dyery because i dont have enough barrels as my foodstores are humungous and still growing, but i want it now, what can i do... so i think that'd be great

Lunafox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Being able to build before having the required Item
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 08:53:34 pm »

Would this be akind to haveing a 'Job Pending' As in the building will be placed and start construction, but will wait around till there is the items needed to finish the job?

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 08:54:21 pm »

In the stockpile menu (where you select what kind of stockpile you want) there's an entry for "reserved barrels" setting it to, say, 5, will mean that no matter how much food you have lying around, the dwarves will ignore the last five empty barrels and just stick the food on the ground.  Only tasks that specifically use barrels will use those reserved barrels (namely: brew drink, process to barrel, make dye shop).

As for your suggestion, I don't see anything wrong with designating without the materials, but when a dwarf comes to build it, and there's nothing to build with, it should suspend the task.  The manager should auto-unsuspend tasks as materials become available.  (or whatever else caused the task to be suspended in the first place - like wild sheep or 2/7 water)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 08:59:20 pm »

Would this be akind to haveing a 'Job Pending' As in the building will be placed and start construction, but will wait around till there is the items needed to finish the job?
Well you could add a new personality trait: Common sense, the lower it is the more probable it is that they stay... dwarves should have a average of 30 in common sense...

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 01:22:06 am »

I actually have a thread: construction stockpiles, that cover this and more.

But I can't be bothered to dig it up as nobody had any clue WTF I was talking about.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 01:38:40 am »

I actually have a thread: construction stockpiles, that cover this and more.

But I can't be bothered to dig it up as nobody had any clue WTF I was talking about.
I'm sorry, what?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 03:36:49 am »

I personally think it should be able to build a workshop if you have the raw materials (the blocks to build  the shop) but you shouldnt need anything besides... I cant build a dyery because i dont have enough barrels as my foodstores are humungous and still growing, but i want it now, what can i do... so i think that'd be great

Do you want a FUNCTIONAL building or a simply to 'start construction', theirs a big difference.  The former really can't be allowed as it defeats the entire point of requiring those other components (which are currently very few and reasonable).  The latter is reasonable and what I hope/think your actually suggesting, the incomplete building would 'pull' more materials and labor as soon as the necessary materials are available just as current construction dose.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 05:25:49 am »

Thanks for telling me the barrel trick... helped me build the dyers shop
@Impaler: I want the latter... You'd put the layout on the floor, and then they'd build the ground building, and then once it becomes available they add the last missing furniture and the building is completed and usable

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 08:59:11 pm »

On a similar note, you should be able to place workshops in areas that are designated to be mined, but aren't mined out yet.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 09:26:37 pm »

In the stockpile menu (where you select what kind of stockpile you want) there's an entry for "reserved barrels" setting it to, say, 5, will mean that no matter how much food you have lying around, the dwarves will ignore the last five empty barrels and just stick the food on the ground.  Only tasks that specifically use barrels will use those reserved barrels (namely: brew drink, process to barrel, make dye shop).
Whoa.  This is freaking awesome.

The "earmarking" system bugs in place now bugs me for a couple reasons.  First off, my dwarves refuse to touch something that's been selected for a task.  I can't tell you how many times a door's been suspended for months because there's a rock in the way that's reserved for the 128th tile of a 400-tile wall I laid out two seasons ago.  The ability to ask for something and have it say, "Granite Floor; Requires Masonry; Construction suspended pending available granite blocks" would be an absolute godsend, especially for ambitious projects.  I hate having to pre-fabricate all the materials or designate it in small bites as they become available.

But it seems to me that it's pretty deep in the code.  Finding and earmarking materials is behind all the "Job Item Lost or Destroyed" spam, and it seems to be fundamental to the game.  If it's going to take Toady eight months to make it work differently, I'll just do it the hard way, and bring on the Badgermen!
I brake for stumble bumblings

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 02:49:57 pm »

I'd love to be able to designate huge constructions without having the materials already on hand. Including designating construction where nothing is (currently) supporting or providing a path to the designation.

For example, if you're building a gigantic, 8 level high and 6 layer thick fortress wall out of obsidian blocks. If you could designate the entire thing, including walls, floors, fortifications, and stairs in advance so when obsidian blocks become available the project will be built automatically.

That would be awesome for mega projects.