Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Reliquary  (Read 1962 times)

Lunafox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Reliquary
« on: January 28, 2010, 08:07:55 pm »

Tired of boring old graves, build a Reliquary and turn your dead dwaves into works of art...

What is it?

A dwarf proforms above and beyond the duty to his people and a grave, or even a great tomb dosn't do him justice. Even the nobles bow their heads in his memory. A place is to be built where he can rest and watchover his bothers and sisters and they too can pay their respects to their lost friend, easing the burdon of his passing now, and leaing on his memory in time to come when troubles haunt their minds. A coffin is layed down and a statue stands over it adorned with the items he possessed and used in his life for all to admire in the years to come, possibly encased in glass still waring when he was during the time of his death

What it's for?

Graves and Tombs are respectful burials for all dwarves and mark the end of their time. Some dwarves would be so well liked and loved that no one dwarf would be wanting them to leave. A Reliquary would be the resting place for dwarves that still play a MAJOR part in the social circles of the fort.

Other Dwarves who where friends/Relitives of the entombed dwarf would visit the Reliquary in times of needing a bit of a happyness pickme up, Possibly even visiting it when they have a complaint or needing to have a cry, and if there is no other dwarf able to help them then they can visit the Reliquary and... well pritty much prey and use their own socil skills on themseves

Why?

This would tie in with sugestions stated in Dwarven Funerals / Visiting Graves
[http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=33030.0] and giveing the option for a Dwarf to be burried privately in a grave/tomb or something more public

A Reliquary would only be useible by those who actualy knew thre dwarf well in live and possibly even his decendants even if they never actualy knew him. This could eventualy lead to 'Ancestor Worship' and be a way for Dwarves to acend to god-hood as disscussed in Accention [http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=31790.0]

Would give a positive reason for dwarves to socilize, and (if surviveing the plumit in happyness) give the whole fortress a potential bost in happyness after the death of a prominant dwarf

Thoughts/Oppinions

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Reliquary
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 08:13:12 pm »

You could put this forth by making beloved dwarfs come back as ghosts in times of need, or perhaps you could grant them godhood once many people paid their monthly. So this reliquary thing should only come to the most beloved of the dwarves and nobles

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 09:35:21 pm »

How is this mechanically different than a really fancy tomb with a different name? 

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 10:27:32 pm »

People can admire it and pray and such. Can't do that with graves.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 10:29:06 pm »

People can admire it and pray and such. Can't do that with graves.

So why not take these features and apply them to existing, underused elements when more religious functions are added to the game?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 10:35:03 pm »

That's an excellent point. I, for one, think that it's sort of a fluff mod; sort of useful and fun, but I'd rather other things be worked on, like revamping the body so I can have POURING DELUGES OF BLOOD AND VOMIT RAIN DOWN ON MY ENEMIES.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 12:19:44 am »

What I mean is why not allow people to worship and all that at graves and tombs?  They should.   Just because something isn't in the game yet doesn't mean that Toady needs to add entirely new structures just to accommodate making things work the 'way they should'.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 12:42:13 am »

That is also a great idea. I fully support that.
A really awesome thing would be to have bigger and better graves/mausoleums attract more people; that way royal mausoleums and such would actually have a use, and you couldn't just switch them out once the noble dies (if nobles do request mausoleums anyways; I'm not sure). Great mausoleums would blunt the effects of death; a vast statue-packed mausoleum would comfort a widow, and when dwarves came to it to pray and admire, that would increase happiness even more, and make dwarves who prayed/admired work harder.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 04:08:34 am »

I have sort of felt like all the effort I put into my extensive catacombs is wasted...since haulers are the only (living) dwarfs who get to appreciate it.

Then again, I've also thought it would be an interesting mechanic for viewing tombs to generate a bad thought....or at least a possible bad thought based on personality type.

I mean...other than tombs, you can stick coffins in the dining rooms, or in people's bedrooms if you want, and it doesn't really have an effect. It can actually increase value. Tombs right now are just another way to piss your dwarves off by not doing something right.

So maybe Reliquaries, being things of art and beauty, could always generate happy thoughts. Pet coffins could generate happy thoughts. But skulking around in the crypts? That shouldn't put your average dwarf in a good mood (unless perhaps it's engraved? But even then it should be a depressing experience to hang out in the fort's crypts.)

It would add an incentive to actually think about cemetery/crypt design beyond how many walls you do/don't provide each coffin, and plan how it actually relates to your traffic flow. I always bury my crypt way deep on its own route so no one has a reason to go down there. It'd be nice to be doing that other than for the joy of it.

Problem with having good tombs/bad tombs is....there's no real cap or control, or reason, to use the crappier ones. I guess the "good tombs" could only be constructed out of platinum or adamantine...but that's a cheap control and people would know it. 

Anyways, I agree that this should be folded into existing graveyard mechanics so it makes the whole arc more interesting.

I wonder how this could potentially interact with the new burrows system. Maybe you could define a crypt burrow, and a whole slew of new functions and mechanics could be attached to it. Thoughts affecting dwarves who enter that burrow, events within a burrow - Zombie dwarf uprising! - weather affects within a burrow like fog and mist, a little troop of crypt keeper dwarves who just do burial, who "don't really care about anything anymore", and have axe skill so they can keep the zombie population under control. Tons of potential.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 04:14:39 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 01:28:46 pm »

I have sort of felt like all the effort I put into my extensive catacombs is wasted...since haulers are the only (living) dwarfs who get to appreciate it.

Then again, I've also thought it would be an interesting mechanic for viewing tombs to generate a bad thought....or at least a possible bad thought based on personality type.

I mean...other than tombs, you can stick coffins in the dining rooms, or in people's bedrooms if you want, and it doesn't really have an effect. It can actually increase value. Tombs right now are just another way to piss your dwarves off by not doing something right.

What? I was sure my dwarves got unhappy thoughts if I tried to make their bedroom also be their tomb. Something about not liking coffins in their sleeping area. I have to try this out.

I don't really understand the bit about tombs just being another way to screw up. Building a good necropolis is always a good time for me. The flavor is engaging, as this isn't the temporary living space of a minor official, but the eternal monument of a great leader(unless I hate the guy, in which case it's a garbage dump--still gratifying though). The potential problems for screwing it up are generally less severe, as pathing to a tomb isn't a major issue.

So maybe Reliquaries, being things of art and beauty, could always generate happy thoughts. Pet coffins could generate happy thoughts. But skulking around in the crypts? That shouldn't put your average dwarf in a good mood (unless perhaps it's engraved? But even then it should be a depressing experience to hang out in the fort's crypts.)

It would add an incentive to actually think about cemetery/crypt design beyond how many walls you do/don't provide each coffin, and plan how it actually relates to your traffic flow. I always bury my crypt way deep on its own route so no one has a reason to go down there. It'd be nice to be doing that other than for the joy of it.

Personally, I line the entrance hall with the tombs of the great dwarves of the fortress, so that visiting diplomats can see the stately resting places of our forefathers. These are not just gravemarkers, but monuments to the men whose bones are interred within, and to the industry and artifice of the fortress.

Plus, the long, wide, low-traffic hallway is a great place to put traps.

The less important dwarves are entombed along the sides of widened exploratory shafts, for a nice catacomb-y feel.

Making dwaves depressed by the sight of a run-down grave, or the grave of a friend might be acceptable, but to make all graves offend all dwarves on sight is really limiting.

Personality and culture should at least mitigate the chance of a dwarf being bothered by graves. That way you can assign burial and corpse hauling to macabre dwarves, who are less deeply effected by it.

I wonder how this could potentially interact with the new burrows system. Maybe you could define a crypt burrow, and a whole slew of new functions and mechanics could be attached to it. Thoughts affecting dwarves who enter that burrow, events within a burrow - Zombie dwarf uprising! - weather affects within a burrow like fog and mist, a little troop of crypt keeper dwarves who just do burial, who "don't really care about anything anymore", and have axe skill so they can keep the zombie population under control. Tons of potential.

I don't see how designating a burrow as a crypt would make undeath more likely. In cultures where undeath was considered a problem, proper burial procedures where generally intended to deter it, rather than induce it.

All in all, I think that anything that makes tombs more interesting and diverse is a good thing, but most of these mechanics can be added to the existing tombs. If the features get added in, and it still feels like a distinct reliquary object is needed, then we can worry about it.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 01:35:40 pm »

I don't see how designating a burrow as a crypt would make undeath more likely. In cultures where undeath was considered a problem, proper burial procedures where generally intended to deter it, rather than induce it.

I'll have to bring that up in the next D&D game I'm in. :D

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 01:43:49 pm »

Combining a tomb and a bedroom can cause unhappy thoughts by lowering the value of both.

An easy way to control high-quality tombs is make other dwarves have happy or unhappy thoughts based on the status of the interred dwarf.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 02:12:25 pm »

Combining a tomb and a bedroom can cause unhappy thoughts by lowering the value of both.

Because they're each only getting half the value of each piece of furniture and floorspace.  Overlapping any two rooms will do this.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 02:22:49 pm »

Because they're each only getting half the value of each piece of furniture and floorspace.  Overlapping any two rooms will do this.

I know that. I was replying to the person above who was wondering if combining a tomb with another room would cause bad thoughts.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 03:11:20 pm »

My own testing failed to reproduce the effect, so either I was wrong, or it only happens a small percentage of the time.

I still stand behind the rest of my points.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.
Pages: [1] 2