Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dont care about life  (Read 1894 times)

SugaSuga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dont care about life
« on: January 28, 2010, 05:14:59 pm »

For some reason, all my military dwarves have this line in their profile: doesnt really care about anything anymore. They NEVER EVER spar, only talk in the meeting area. Could it be that they have their own tombs? Any help a[[reciated.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Dont care about life
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 05:40:37 pm »

That's line in their profile comes from witnessing lots and lots of death. Since soldiers typically do a lot of killing, it's hardly unusual to see that in their profile.

Your soldiers not sparring, however, is an unrelated problem. Make sure there's a barracks and that they don't have damage to their nervous system.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 06:17:32 pm »

Yay for war depression!

Also make sure they are standing down in the military screen (m-select-v-t)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 06:23:02 pm »

I demand warcrimes. They gotta mutilate gobbos for fun.

Swivelguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 06:30:48 pm »

Are there any downsides to the apathy line in their profile?

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 06:40:19 pm »

Less tantrum spirals, I believe.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Swivelguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 08:01:13 pm »

Wait, that's your idea of a downside?  ;D

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 08:29:52 pm »

Not necessarily a downside, but I think is causes dwarves to drink more. Also, if they weren't alcohol-dependent before, (only really a problem with modded dwarves or non-dwarves) they will become dependent.

Magil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 02:39:31 am »

I think it makes them harder to keep happy via things like admiring statues or what not. Then again, there may not really be a downside to it.
Quote from: Mystic Mongol
Turns out most of the nobles had the same room. Moreover, this same room was apparently bedroom, office, and dining room. I don't know what they thought was in this room... I do know the doors were all locked, so none of them could get IN.

Also, apparently there was a fire inside, and had been for months. I feel I should investigate this at some point.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 05:05:57 am »

This is DF, it can't just be that cut and dry.

I wonder. Your original embarkers, if they survive, are almost all likely to end up with this trait. Since they are also your first nobility usually....I wonder if this in a way downplays some of their noble demands if they aren't met. I've had fortresses edging up on 80 with no fortress guard at all, and both the mayor and the CotG, original embarkers, didn't take any hits or have any thoughts relating to the lack of guard...or prisons for that matter.

Maybe the existence of that trait (or the lack of it once you get a huge dorf population that isn't exposed to every single thing that happens to the fort) is another part of the build up of problems that a fort eventually faces. War-hardened veterans aren't going to freak out because you didn't make 3/3 barrels. A snot-nosed noble brat on the other hand will, because they haven't had anything more upsetting to deal with.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 09:21:52 pm »

NAH!

with the "doesn't care about anything anymore" trait , said dwarf DOES not even care about shit , he can watch his wife die , his friends die , and the ENTIRE fort die , and he wont even tantrum nor go berzkerg(even with a mood) , plus , even if you throw everything he hates and lock him up in one room , and throw rotting corpses down there , causing miasma , he will NEVER go below content , the only downside is that there are less "fun"

so why even bother making them happy?

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 09:56:56 pm »

plus , even if you throw everything he hates and lock him up in one room , and throw rotting corpses down there , causing miasma , he will NEVER go below content

This is wrong from my experience. I've had a champion dwarf with this trait go melancholy and jump into a river.. This means that she was below content.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 10:00:57 pm »

I like how we quantify committing suicide as "below content."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 09:02:26 pm »

really? i locked up a random dwarf with the "doesn't care about anything anymore" trait and i keep throwing rotting corpses , shit that he hates , and give him low-quality eatables , and yet , even after 5 years , his happiness is still stuck at escastic , i also did throw down his wife and make her go insane , nah , no happiness change , still stuck at escastic

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 12:44:56 am »

really? i locked up a random dwarf with the "doesn't care about anything anymore" trait and i keep throwing rotting corpses , shit that he hates , and give him low-quality eatables , and yet , even after 5 years , his happiness is still stuck at escastic , i also did throw down his wife and make her go insane , nah , no happiness change , still stuck at escastic

I think I see the flaw in your plan.  You should do things that would make him UNhappy.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.
Pages: [1] 2