Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblin Towers  (Read 3158 times)

TheCatfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Catfish, friend of Carp
    • View Profile
Goblin Towers
« on: January 28, 2010, 04:43:38 pm »

Well I embarked next to a goblin obsidian tower (although it's mostly Humans). There's 3 of them.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And one of microcline.

And underground roads off the map which are connected to all the towers...

Except the microcline one. Which is built in a dug out pit.

Suggestions of what do.

BACKGROUND:
I modded my dwarves to be awesome as I was going to destroy the tower that I found there (I only expected one) and raise a giant mausoleum for the dwarves and surround it with walls. Then play as many forts as I could after abandoning to move time on so much then go visit as an adventurer and imagine all the dwarves I meet along the way saying " Mondulurdim? That's a myth, doesn't exist." Then eventually finding it and seeing all the dead goblins lying about and the demon corpse in the hole beside the giant block tower housing the supposed dead.

Now though I think I'll incorporate the deep roads. Maybe I could build a jail or high security fort above the end of the deep roads and block up all routes along the way except those leading to the gravetower.
"I'm Urist McHanz!" "And I'm Urist McFranz!" "And we're going to PUMP" *clap* "you up!"

The catfish, deadlier than hippos, and piranhas, crocodiles, and sharks.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Towers
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 05:05:20 pm »

The microcline one is a temple.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 05:08:30 pm »

Yes. Find out which god is worshipped there in legends (if there're mostly humans, it may be captured by them... or they are kidnapped) and build a statue of that god on top of the temple.

Also, a microcline temple? Wtf :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 05:13:07 pm »

Psychological warfare.

Dwarves who've spent their lives mining will be horrified and repelled by the sight of microcline, after decades of having their work interrupted by discoveries of the blinding cyan stone, and should they decide to attack the temple, they will taken by such extreme nausea at its sight that they will be helpless before the goblin counter-assault.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

TheCatfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 06:20:32 pm »

Checking the histories I've found the towers are The Ignoble Fortress, The Ungodly Castle and The Cruel Palace. The temple (it is a temple :P) is The Shrine of Seducing of The Hot Fellowship. They worship the demon. Kill or no.

Here is some info...

Uslot Witchhells the Swltering Bone of Phantoms. He was associated with Torture, death and fire.

Uslot is one of only four demons in the world. He is one of the two males.

He's been involved in elf wars and half his kills are elves. He's killed more elves than the other three have kills put together. He also seems to be worshipped by the Humans as he has loads of "Human X has Worshipped Uslot"

He's razed an elven forest retreat. Twice. It was made, unmade, retaken the destroyed agai/ by him and the goblin/human army.

EDIT: The elven wars were called Unamuzo, "The Gory Conflict". The most significant cause of the conflict was Uslot's natural aversion to the adversary's worship of rivers. There were 4 main battles and twice Leafycharm was destroyed (the one mentioned earlier).

In all there were 54 Elven Deaths and 21 goblin/human/elf deaths on the side of Uslot.

The final act of the final battle before Leafycharm was finally destroyed was thus.

"In 23, the goblin usbu Malicecity devourde the elf Talu Boltivy in Leafycharm." The goblin had killed the elf moments before.

EDIT2:

Just found my favourite goblin. Bax Shakendooms the Gloved Palace of Webs. Moved into the cruel Palace and became a farmer. Then a guard. A bronze colossus attacked the towers and killed two goblins before Bax brought him down. the then became a member of the Hot Fellowship and left guardhood a few years later to become a priest. After that he killed 5 humans over the next 87 years. I'm assuming ritual sacrifice as all the human kills were guys who lived there.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:40:44 pm by TheCatfish »
"I'm Urist McHanz!" "And I'm Urist McFranz!" "And we're going to PUMP" *clap* "you up!"

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 07:21:06 pm »

I want that save, please. Looks/sounds sweeeeeeeet.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 07:47:45 pm »

Also, a microcline temple? Wtf FTW :D.

Fixed.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 07:49:14 pm »

I wanna know how this turns out.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

TheCatfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 08:34:51 pm »

I'm not sure now if I want to kill them. They seem so awesome. I think I'll just make a tower in the center of the map and if they go hostile then I'll wipe em out.

Expect news soon.

Also the save is HERE.

EDIT: Changed mind. Am going to kill. Hard.
The only problem is there's a lot of them outside and some in the tunnels. I'm going to have to get a military going soon to remove the last of the civ.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:46:38 pm by TheCatfish »

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 08:47:15 pm »

OH ARMOK! THERE'S A CARPPING DEMON ON THE MAP! ! ! ! !

In other news, careful when reclaiming. You start with 70 dwarves.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

TheCatfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 08:54:34 pm »

...Must've gave out the wrong save. I copied it to see the legends but i've got another with just seven dwarves on.

Also I mentioned the demon somewhere. But he's under one of the towers so I'll evacuate all levels under the tower, then collapse it to make sure it all lands on his head.

New Personal Goal: Rid the world of the four surface demons.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 09:00:29 pm »

Yeah. This one was reclaim...

TheCatfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 09:02:45 pm »

Do you want the version with just seven or is the reclaim fine?

Scratch that you don't want the one with seven, they turned up with nothing. But now I can't get the damn NOEAT NODRINK NOSLEEP etc. etc. tags to work.

I'll post world gen and location for you guys.

Parameters

EDIT: I actually Went ahead and re-genned and the towers were in a different configuration. There's still 4 and one is still a microcline temple. But it's arranged differently.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:39:42 pm by TheCatfish »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 09:07:01 pm »

The Shrine of Seducing of The Hot Fellowship

For this reason alone you should make the entrance of your fortress through the temple, keeping all ramps and access areas Microcline as to keep with the theme.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

TheCatfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 12:05:37 am »

After eventually collapsing the towers and the roof above the deep road (the demon was hiding there) it took about 2 months to slowly lose my 7 miners to individual accidents.

Cave ins, trees falling, channeling out the floor below you and dropping the entirety of 16z levels of rock on one's own head.

As I saw the words "Your settlement has come to an end, after watching the last dwarf mine out the floor under his feet and plummet 10z levels I burst out laughing. First time I've lost a fortress like this. I usually give up after X-years but this. This was Fun.

And now...
TO ADVENTURE MODE!

Checking legends, The Hot Fellowship collapsed the same time as my civ. There were many of them left. They had lost their DEMONLORD THOUGH!

EDIT:
1 - During travel was ambushed by wolves. I started off in a dried up murky pool. No way out. Died.
2 - Made it there. Upon Arrival: Nemesis Unit Overload.
3 - Went again. Visited the mountainhome this time. No message. Alls well and good. Hard to get about though.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:48:19 am by TheCatfish »

Pages: [1] 2