Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tree Cap Dipomacy doesn't always happen?  (Read 1211 times)

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
Tree Cap Dipomacy doesn't always happen?
« on: January 28, 2010, 01:51:55 pm »

I'm running a custom above ground civ, and noticed that the Elf traders never say a word about the multitudes of trees felled to make houses and the like. They do come to trade, so they are at least somewhat friendly to me. Do they sometimes not care?
They haven't been modded.

???

Not that I'm arguing, I'm fairly sure they would trash the village if they got mad.
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
Re: Tree Cap Dipomacy doesn't always happen?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 01:55:14 pm »

Strangely, the criteria for the elves sending a diplomat is based not on your treefalls, but on how much wood you have in your stockpile when they arrive. If you're using your wood as fast as you cut it down, they'll never say a word.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 02:02:12 pm »

I've observed that Elves don't send their Diplomat until you become a Barony (or perhaps a County or Duchy).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 02:05:45 pm »

Ah. Then these guys shouldn't have to worry ANYTIME soon. Thanks.
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 02:11:57 pm »

Makes me glad there are no Elves left alive in the world I'm working in.  I went and slaughtered them all in Adventurer mode first, and now I keep a wood stockpile the size of a small forest.  Hooray for foresight!
Sanity is for the weak.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 02:33:17 pm »

100 logs isn't a big problem, the real problem is they base the amount of wood they send you on how much wood you have (or, my theory is on how many empty wood stockpile squares you have). So you can't comply if you want anything but 120 db of wood. As always, you have to be tough with the elves - give them pitiful profits and butcher just barely short of their tree limits to get them to bring anything but wood or rope reed.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 05:02:32 pm »

Couldn't you just delete temporarily all of your wood stockpiles if you wanted happy elves?
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 09:22:35 pm »

Or better yet, build a magma depot to keep your wood stockpiles happy.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 09:52:44 pm »

Elves don't always send diplomats. If you have >100 logs in a stockpile, then they will send an ambush, regardless of diplomats. I've never had them send diplomats to me, period. They always just attack.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Psithief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 12:42:09 am »

Hmm. Peaceful harmony with the elves can be achieved by not exporting home-made goods! Excellent! I hate that baron guy too.

Lord OOTFD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 01:15:25 am »

The elves care about the number of trees you've felled? I never had any problems with diplomats or ambushes in my longest fort, at 30 years with about 3000 logs in stockpiles. I thought toady removed that in 40d.

I know they harassed you in the earlier versions, but I never had problems, fort was steady with about 80 dorfs, and got to 85 in the later years, if it has something to do with the economy.

Magil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 02:10:22 am »

I believe those who posted earlier had it right: the diplomat won't arrive unless he has someone to meet with. Wood stockpiles probably don't have anything to do with it.

The dilpomat won't meet with your mayor, he/she needs an actual member of nobility; so at the very least, a baron.
Quote from: Mystic Mongol
Turns out most of the nobles had the same room. Moreover, this same room was apparently bedroom, office, and dining room. I don't know what they thought was in this room... I do know the doors were all locked, so none of them could get IN.

Also, apparently there was a fire inside, and had been for months. I feel I should investigate this at some point.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 09:04:36 am »

Elves don't always send diplomats. If you have >100 logs in a stockpile, then they will send an ambush, regardless of diplomats. I've never had them send diplomats to me, period. They always just attack.

Either your civ is already at war with the Elves, or you're doing something else to deliberately piss them off - I've had them send diplomats even when I had over 500 logs in my stockpiles, and all they do is ask me to cut down fewer trees (which I generally refuse).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 12:25:18 pm »

Couldn't you just delete temporarily all of your wood stockpiles if you wanted happy elves?
I would guess that if it is based on current wood counts, it isn't based on how much wood is physically in a wood stockpile, but how many free logs there are on the map as a whole (logs measured as via stocks screen).
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!