Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Brainstorm thread  (Read 2123 times)

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: The Brainstorm thread
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 05:36:04 pm »

As a crazy idea for a mod how about a real world mod? No civilisations but humans (though there could be lots of entities) and no non-existent creatures. It could fit in with some of the other realism mods as well- ie ones that change material properties to closer to real worlds ones.

One problem with this is it may end up being not very interesting and fun.

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 08:49:38 pm »

I know this isn't at all possible but what about races that require more than a male and a female to breed...
or perhaps non-newtonian fluids that only sufficiently fast creatures could run across, all others sinking to their deaths.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 09:14:43 pm »

Mechanisms made of metal other than Adamantine. Iron, Steel and a few others are sensible for crafting it. In case you were wondering, it requires adding [ANY_USE] to the metal, and a dwarf with Mechanic labour can craft it at a Metalsmith's Forge.

Or you can make a reaction to make them out of bars (and [ANY_USE] has some odd effects, like using it to make clothing).

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MECHANISM_(metal)]
[NAME:cast (metal) mechanisms]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:#:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:(type)]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TRAPPARTS:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:(type)]
[FUEL]

It can be modified to use any other material (I used wood on a heavy aquifer map covered in trees when I needed some pumps), though I question the sanity of someone that uses CLOTH mechanisms.

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 06:48:11 pm »

As a crazy idea for a mod how about a real world mod? No civilisations but humans (though there could be lots of entities) and no non-existent creatures. It could fit in with some of the other realism mods as well- ie ones that change material properties to closer to real worlds ones.

One problem with this is it may end up being not very interesting and fun.

Not unless you add Michael Jackson as a megabeast.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 10:17:57 pm »

Mechanisms made of metal other than Adamantine. Iron, Steel and a few others are sensible for crafting it. In case you were wondering, it requires adding [ANY_USE] to the metal, and a dwarf with Mechanic labour can craft it at a Metalsmith's Forge.

Or you can make a reaction to make them out of bars (and [ANY_USE] has some odd effects, like using it to make clothing).

[SMELTER]
[FUEL]

It can be modified to use any other material (I used wood on a heavy aquifer map covered in trees when I needed some pumps), though I question the sanity of someone that uses CLOTH mechanisms.

So, how would one make the reaction encompass ALL metal? The wiki doesn't go into that. I sure hope I wouldn't have to make a different reacton for each metal....
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 10:27:23 pm »

[SMELTER]
[FUEL]

So, how would one make the reaction encompass ALL metal? The wiki doesn't go into that. I sure hope I wouldn't have to make a different reacton for each metal....

A reaction for each metal that you want outputted, you can make a reaction that uses any metal (iron, gold, lead, etc) to make a certain metal (like say iron) mechanisms, but there is no method to make a reaction spit out a product that matches the reagent in a generic reagent reaction.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 11:07:09 am »

Since internal organs can be exposed by damage in the new raws, would it be possible to give a creature [grasp] on one or more of its internal parts that only functions once the creature's surface has been sheared off?

I want to make a cute fuzzy rabbit creature that shifts into a tentacled monstrosity when badly injured.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 12:35:24 pm »

Yeah, so do I. We'll really just have to see how it turns out... the problem is down to whether or not the game recognises that there's a layer in the way when checking for anything other than damage/exposure - it all really comes down to whether Toady's thought of that eventuality. If he has, we'll be able to get some really interesting creatures - what about things with multi-layered bodies? I don't mean bodies with multiple layers, I mean multiple bodies as layers. Break through one shell and you'll have a smaller one inside made of a different material, like Russian dolls.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 12:49:51 pm »

Nothing says about it from the raws. If you make a GRASP attack, it will punch you with its innards right away. Although the idea is nice.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 02:57:01 pm »

I can picture a 'death effect' token in future versions.  That would allow for the Russian doll monster, and other interesting things... Spirits of Fire exploding on death, colossi causing cave-ins at the spot they die.  That sort of stuff.

Different death effects could be triggered by different damage types.  A slain magma man may normally turn into a lump of obsidian, but one killed by dragon's fire might turn into a pool of lava first.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 03:40:10 pm »

Russian doll monster??! Can you erxplain what is it? I am russian and I don't know such thing :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 03:53:23 pm »

Alas. Well, it was a thought.

And Deon, these things:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matryoshka_doll
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 03:35:06 pm »

I didn't know about "nested doll" or "babushka doll" names, thanks :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

BLitZ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 03:19:47 am »

so im trying to make a trap component that shoot a form of projectile at the invaders like using a Xbow in a weapon trap will these two raw's objects do the trick?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also will the 2 hit tag make it fire 2 dart and will the crit boost affect the darts?
Were all mad here

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 08:29:13 am »

so im trying to make a trap component that shoot a form of projectile at the invaders like using a Xbow in a weapon trap will these two raw's objects do the trick?
Also will the 2 hit tag make it fire 2 dart and will the crit boost affect the darts?
I don't think using a ranged weapon in a trap lets it shoot
it just bashes the victum with the weapon, someone correct me. and yes the Crit boost will work and you can pretend it shoots a dart, and I don't think you can have ranged:luncher:dart because its not a usable weapon, but if this does work (and im a complete moron like I am) then my bad
Pages: 1 [2] 3