Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: I'm Evil, I give you...  (Read 4102 times)

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
Re: I'm Evil, I give you...
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 08:17:07 pm »

Yes, concerning a game where I can beat a child to death with its own foot, I don't see the need of getting worked up over Sunshaker trying to diffuse your anger at his mod.

Side note, I guess this shows my lack of modding understanding, but I suppose it'd be impractical to let it be a metal?  Why not have a craftsman refining job, like adamantine?  I'd guess the actual product needs some processing before it's weaving-ready.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 08:36:46 pm by Salabasama »
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 08:17:58 pm »

He's annoyed because sunshaker was arguing that changing the names of rocks to not be so obvious is a slippery slope into madness.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 08:36:04 pm »

He's annoyed because sunshaker was arguing that changing the names of rocks to not be so obvious is a slippery slope into madness.
Naw, I think he's mad because he mentioned a thing that hurts people.

Also, shame on eveyone for letting me call it "adamantium."  I get the points for catching it, which should just cover my loss.
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 05:57:54 am »

I can't wait until we have an [EMISSION] tag for lethal radiation, and cancer in the genetics code.
Also known as Zuhayr.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 07:23:28 am »

Why not (in stead of modding it in as "asbestos") mod it in as the minerals that are actually considered asbestos: chrysotile, amosite, crocidolite, tremolite, anthophyllite, and actinolite?

This way you could have a reaction to process these minerals into a material called asbestos, the way it is in real life.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 07:38:35 am »

Don't forget to add a 1-2% chance of producing LEATHER:NO_MATGLOSS for the dangerous ones.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 12:58:43 pm »

Exactly. Hence the "I call B.S. here."

Naw, I think he's mad because he mentioned a thing that hurts people.

Have you read my other posts? They're all about things that hurt people Dwarves. Most of them anyhow... are about FUN ways to hurt Dwarves. Aside from the whole offensive real world stuff [which is legit], how stupid would DF be if your miner just randomly dropped, started wheezing, and died without you knowing why? That's not fun, it's just annoying. To review, offensive + annoying game feature (not fun) + slippery slope argument = not cool.

Now, I know what you're thinking, "But Truean, didn't your adventurer Urist McFeloniousTraumatizer the Reason of Witness' Psychotherapy just rip off an elf's ear and beat him with it before strangling the elf while you imagined choking the elf by shoving said ear down his tree hugging, cannibalistic throat after you asked him about the surroundings, his profession, and family?" Can I say, "of course," loud enough? The differences are, A.) That's a cool game feature, B.) No one in real life has to deal with that, and last but certainly not least, C.) No B.S. slippery slope argument to annoy me. Moreover, now that he told me about his family; I have another chore to do....

I am just as violent as I was yesterday, perhaps more so after playing more DF. Wrong motivational guess on your part; it's all good though, because after all, that's how I keep getting away with it. I take solace in the fact that people think I'm sweet and nice until they're nearly dead. That would be right up until they feel something nice and sharp between their 3rd and 4th ribs and before they pass out to never wake up, or rather wake up partially filleted. :D

Psychotically yours,
Truean
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 01:18:47 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 04:54:52 pm »

By that logic, we should rename gravity and call it something else, since people often can fall and hurt themselves!

I'd hate to have dwarf fortress offend those who were victims of gravity.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 11:22:32 pm »

If you are offended that we acknowledge that asbestos hurts people, and throw it in, but are not offended by all the other things in DF (Which people DO have to deal with, in real life) then you need a therapist.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 11:24:41 pm »

It's still cool. :D
Especially since we can imagine torturing our Dwarves with it.
Oh man, yeah. Can you imagine putting a dwarf in full asbestos clothing and then hurling him into magma? He wouldn't burn, but by Jove it'd hurt.
You could even make it a game show! 7 dwarves - 6 sets of asbestos clothing - who lives... and who burns?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 11:54:04 am »

If you are offended that we acknowledge that asbestos hurts people, and throw it in, but are not offended by all the other things in DF (Which people DO have to deal with, in real life) then you need a therapist.

Did you not get the joke like everyone else did?

"Psychotically yours,"

I find it funny that you thought I needed a therapist for that but not when I said "[people who I feel like hurting], pass out to never wake up, or rather wake up partially filleted. :D." I would think THAT part would be what made me need a therapist.

Also gravity is a commonly assumed risk and thus is not comparable to asbestos, which is not. Apples don't taste like oranges--do not compare. :D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 12:05:23 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 06:02:15 pm »

Does "gravity assisted suicide" count?

If not, then bears.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 06:04:30 pm by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 07:21:23 am »

Did you not get the joke like everyone else did?

"Psychotically yours,"

I find it funny that you thought I needed a therapist for that but not when I said "[people who I feel like hurting], pass out to never wake up, or rather wake up partially filleted. :D." I would think THAT part would be what made me need a therapist.

Also gravity is a commonly assumed risk and thus is not comparable to asbestos, which is not. Apples don't taste like oranges--do not compare. :D

Oh, but I shall compare! Apples taste better as apples, while oranges taste better as juice! Therefor, apples are the better fruit, and oranges make the better juice.

Anyhow, any person who is offended that asbestos hurts people is ignorant. If it isn't already obvious that asbestos will cause harm, MAKE IT OBVIOUS. Duh.

Anyhow, I do agree that it woud make the game a touch tedious, when my minerdwarves start croaking from mining mercury and asbestos.n I do like the idea of making asbestos usable, as a substance, considering that the dwarves would likely not know anything about its harmful effects, and are infinitely more likely to die of some other cause, than from rocks that become hairy when pulverised.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 11:13:29 am »

rocks that become hairy when pulverised.
This is somehow hilarious.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 12:35:46 pm »

Oh, but I shall compare! Apples taste better as apples, while oranges taste better as juice! Therefor, apples are the better fruit, and oranges make the better juice.

Nice wordplay but out of context. A better comparison would have been to objective traits (physical characteristics) rather than subjective ones (taste/form preference). Just for future reference, because it is funnier that way.

Anyhow, any person who is offended that asbestos hurts people is ignorant.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and say you misspoke.
Real world juries find corporate concealed asbestos injuries incredibly offensive and bankrupt companies like,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johns-Manville

because it is that offensive and illegal. For comic effect, I refer you to Zerox's joke on the first page in re "ZEROX AND SOKOBOLD: CLERKS AT LAW." Basically, this is not a black and white issue.
You could say it would be a lil weird to be offended by it in DF given the other types of wanton killing/intentionally inflicted death in game, but this does not seem to be what you were saying. No?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 12:44:28 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4